MarshalJean
Lieutenant

Noobie question: using events from the console

Fri May 23, 2014 1:20 pm

I really love Pride of Nations. It's one of my favorite games. But I am completely new to modding/using cheats/scripts for the game, either through changing the event files, or using the in-game console. So I had a question for those expert players, or devs, out there:

As France, how do I change the contentment of my nation's population from the console? Is this possible, or do I first have to write a script in the event folder, go back into the game, and then fire that event from the console? Is it only possible to fire events from the console that have previously been added to the event folder? Can you write a new event at the console that has not been previously created for the event folder? (I recognize that I just asked the same question a bunch of different ways, just trying to be clear...)

Finally, if someone knows how to fire this event from the console, could you write out in a simple way what syntax should be used at the console? What should I write?

Bonus: could someone also show me what to write at the console to add state money and how to change loyalty in a region?

Thanks, fellow Grognards!

MarshalJean

Jim-NC

Fri May 23, 2014 1:32 pm

Welcome to the forums MarshalJean. :wavey:

I personally don't use the console, but add things via a script. I would place my additional scripts at the end of the French file as your playing France (FRA events.sct) or in a disposable script file. If you place them in the FRA events, then every game you play will use those scripts. If you place them in the disposable script file, then you can control easier which scripts you add/remove when. The disposable script would have to be added as a line in the 1850 GC.sct file or other appropriate file (you didn't say which scenario you are playing).
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MarshalJean
Lieutenant

Fri May 23, 2014 8:29 pm

Jim-NC wrote:Welcome to the forums MarshalJean. :wavey:

I personally don't use the console, but add things via a script. I would place my additional scripts at the end of the French file as your playing France (FRA events.sct) or in a disposable script file. If you place them in the FRA events, then every game you play will use those scripts. If you place them in the disposable script file, then you can control easier which scripts you add/remove when. The disposable script would have to be added as a line in the 1850 GC.sct file or other appropriate file (you didn't say which scenario you are playing).

Thanks for the quick reply, Jim-NC! Glad to be here!

Honestly, I'm not sure how to do any of what you said. What I tried to do as an experiment was go to VGN/FRA Events folder, which opens up with WordPad. I then scrolled all the way to the bottom and entered this:

SelectFaction = $FRA
SelectRegion = $Ile de France
StartEvent = evt_nam_FRA_NapoleonicFame1855|1|2|evt_txt_FRA_NapoleonicFame1855|Event-img_FRA_ManDecember1851|$Ile de France|NULL

Conditions
MinDate = 1855/01/01
MaxDate = 1855/02/01
Probability = 99

Actions
DescEvent = evt_desc_FRA_NapoleonIIIFameSpreads1855
ChgPopContent = 60

EndEvent

I chose to name the event Napoleonic Fame and I told the program to show Louis-Napoleon's picture from the Man of December event. Since my current playing date in the game is late July, 1855, I thought that by setting the min date at 1855/01/01 and the max date at 1855/02/01 the event would automatically launch after advancing the game from late July. But nothing showed up at all.

Again, this is my first time to try anything like this, so I'm sure I'm doing a whole lot of things wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

MarshalJean

HerrDan

Fri May 23, 2014 8:57 pm

MarshalJean wrote:Thanks for the quick reply, Jim-NC! Glad to be here!

Honestly, I'm not sure how to do any of what you said. What I tried to do as an experiment was go to VGN/FRA Events folder, which opens up with WordPad. I then scrolled all the way to the bottom and entered this:

SelectFaction = $FRA
SelectRegion = $Ile de France
StartEvent = evt_nam_FRA_NapoleonicFame1855|1|2|evt_txt_FRA_NapoleonicFame1855|Event-img_FRA_ManDecember1851|$Ile de France|NULL

Conditions
MinDate = 1855/01/01
MaxDate = 1855/02/01
Probability = 99

Actions
ChgPopContent = 60

EndEvent

I chose to name the event Napoleonic Fame and I told the program to show Louis-Napoleon's picture from the Man of December event. Since my current playing date in the game is late July, 1855, I thought that by setting the min date at 1855/01/01 and the max date at 1855/02/01 the event would automatically launch after advancing the game from late July. But nothing showed up at all.

Again, this is my first time to try anything like this, so I'm sure I'm doing a whole lot of things wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

MarshalJean

First of all, welcome to the forums MarshalJean :)

It didn't happened simply because the maxdate has passed, so it will not happen anymore, you must put the maxdate to a date in the future, so it's chances of happening are greater (as the chance is for each turn), in your case 99%, you just need to put the date to 1855/08/15 or to be more generic 1900/01/01, just to use an example, the maxdate isn't very important as long as it's in the future and the chances are good, in your case there isn't any chance of it not firing if it's, for instance 1860/01/01. ;)

MarshalJean
Lieutenant

Fri May 23, 2014 10:08 pm

HerrDan wrote:First of all, welcome to the forums MarshalJean :)

It didn't happened simply because the maxdate has passed, so it will not happen anymore, you must put the maxdate to a date in the future, so it's chances of happening are greater (as the chance is for each turn), in your case 99%, you just need to put the date to 1855/08/15 or to be more generic 1900/01/01, just to use an example, the maxdate isn't very important as long as it's in the future and the chances are good, in your case there isn't any chance of it not firing if it's, for instance 1860/01/01. ;)

Thanks for the help, HerrDan! It definitely fired! The problem was, I didn't write the syntax in such a way that all of my regions received the Contentment boost...just Ile de France. So now I need to know how to apply it to all of them.

Learning as I go...thanks for your great help!

MJ

HerrDan

Fri May 23, 2014 10:19 pm

MarshalJean wrote:Thanks for the help, HerrDan! It definitely fired! The problem was, I didn't write the syntax in such a way that all of my regions received the Contentment boost...just Ile de France. So now I need to know how to apply it to all of them.

Learning as I go...thanks for your great help!

MJ

I think you need to add the line "SelectRegion = $..." and the regions you want it to affect, but I must warn you that I'm not 100% sure, because I've never tried this kind of event. Anyway, try ading these lines for the regions you want it to affect and report back if it worked ;)

Don't forget to add the line "SelectFaction" before the "SelectRegion" line, like this example:
SelectFaction = $FRA
SelectRegion = $Ile de France (in place of Ile de France you write the names of the regions you want)

I hope it works like this.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri May 23, 2014 11:16 pm

you might be able to use 'selectArea' as well, if so check out the areas file in 'game data', this will probably allow you to cover all of France in just 3 iterations rather than province by province
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

HerrDan

Fri May 23, 2014 11:38 pm

loki100 wrote:you might be able to use 'selectArea' as well, if so check out the areas file in 'game data', this will probably allow you to cover all of France in just 3 iterations rather than province by province

Yeah it's probably much better this way :)

MarshalJean
Lieutenant

Sat May 24, 2014 12:36 am

HerrDan wrote:Yeah it's probably much better this way :)

Great! I will try these tips. Thanks so much, HerrDan and loki. I will let you know how it turns out.

MarshalJean

HerrDan

Sat May 24, 2014 12:42 am

MarshalJean wrote:Great! I will try these tips. Thanks so much, HerrDan and loki. I will let you know how it turns out.

MarshalJean

You're welcome, if you can, report here if it worked, it's good for the players community to have this kind of feedback. :)

HeerDan

MarshalJean
Lieutenant

Sat May 24, 2014 5:36 pm

HerrDan wrote:You're welcome, if you can, report here if it worked, it's good for the players community to have this kind of feedback. :)

HeerDan

Well, my friends. I'm at a loss. Although the event fires, none of the effects of bringing up contentment actually work. I've tried several variations of complexity in the syntax. Loki, I tried your "area" idea, using the area names in the area database files, and it didn't work. HerrDan, I tried your idea of adding a SelectRegion line for each region, and I tried about six regions at once, and it didn't work. And this last time, I went very simple. Here is what I entered this last time:

SelectFaction = $FRA
SelectRegion = $Sologne
StartEvent = evt_nam_FRA_NapoleonicFame1855|1|2|evt_txt_FRA_Napoleon_the_III_fame_spreads!1855|Event-img_FRA_ManDecember1851|$Ile de France|NULL

Conditions
MinDate = 1855/01/01
MaxDate = 1855/09/01
Probability = 99

Actions
ChgPopContent = 100

EndEvent

But for some reason, the command ChgPopContent is not working at all. I got this command syntax from the AGEOD modding wiki, but it is not working. Any ideas out there on adding a script to improve contentment? (I just can't seem to make these Frenchmen happy, no matter how well I manage the market!)

Thanks in advance!

MJ

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat May 24, 2014 5:42 pm

After actions, add

SelectRegion = ?????

The stuff at the top is just to guide the code, but you need to tell it what and where in the 'actions' part of the script, there are a few pitfalls to the PoN syntax (I know, I've been in most of them). One solution is to go over the existing event files till you find one that does something similar to what you want and then adapt.

You don't need the conditions, so delete that (I don't use them for events I simiply want to work once). Also change the name to NapoleonicFame1855a or simlar, its quite likely the current name is now stored as having fired once (as per your instructiions)

MarshalJean
Lieutenant

Sat May 24, 2014 5:49 pm

loki100 wrote:After actions, add

SelectRegion = ?????

The stuff at the top is just to guide the code, but you need to tell it what and where in the 'actions' part of the script, there are a few pitfalls to the PoN syntax (I know, I've been in most of them). One solution is to go over the existing event files till you find one that does something similar to what you want and then adapt.

You don't need the conditions, so delete that (I don't use them for events I simiply want to work once). Also change the name to NapoleonicFame1855a or simlar, its quite likely the current name is now stored as having fired once (as per your instructiions)

Thanks, Loki!
Do I add the line "SelectRegion" with a space between the ChgPopContent line, or immediately below it?

MarshalJean
Lieutenant

Sat May 24, 2014 5:51 pm

And, do I keep the SelectRegion line below my SelectFaction line at the top, as well?

HerrDan

Sat May 24, 2014 6:08 pm

MarshalJean wrote:And, do I keep the SelectRegion line below my SelectFaction line at the top, as well?

Yes, always something like this:

SelectFaction = $FRA
SelectRegion = $anywhereyouwant

HerrDan

Sat May 24, 2014 6:15 pm

MarshalJean wrote:Well, my friends. I'm at a loss. Although the event fires, none of the effects of bringing up contentment actually work. I've tried several variations of complexity in the syntax. Loki, I tried your "area" idea, using the area names in the area database files, and it didn't work. HerrDan, I tried your idea of adding a SelectRegion line for each region, and I tried about six regions at once, and it didn't work. And this last time, I went very simple. Here is what I entered this last time:

SelectFaction = $FRA
SelectRegion = $Sologne
StartEvent = evt_nam_FRA_NapoleonicFame1855|1|2|evt_txt_FRA_Napoleon_the_III_fame_spreads!1855|Event-img_FRA_ManDecember1851|$Ile de France|NULL

Conditions
MinDate = 1855/01/01
MaxDate = 1855/09/01
Probability = 99

Actions
ChgPopContent = 100

EndEvent

But for some reason, the command ChgPopContent is not working at all. I got this command syntax from the AGEOD modding wiki, but it is not working. Any ideas out there on adding a script to improve contentment? (I just can't seem to make these Frenchmen happy, no matter how well I manage the market!)

Thanks in advance!

MJ

Looking at your event, below actions you need to tel what actions to take and where, the SelectRegion line at the start of the event is all but irrelevant, but below actions is where you need to write what must be done.

MarshalJean
Lieutenant

Sat May 24, 2014 6:18 pm

HerrDan wrote:Looking at your event, below actions you need to tel what actions to take and where, the SelectRegion line at the start of the event is all but irrelevant, but below actions is where you need to write what must be done.

Thanks, gents! I just tried it again with the SelectRegion line in the Action paragraph and it worked! Now, unless I figure out how to make it happen in many places at once, I just have to re-run the event a million times! :blink:

MJ

HerrDan

Sat May 24, 2014 6:26 pm

MarshalJean wrote:Thanks, gents! I just tried it again with the SelectRegion line in the Action paragraph and it worked! Now, unless I figure out how to make it happen in many places at once, I just have to re-run the event a million times! :blink:

MJ

At least you now know how to make it fire and it will serve you well when you need another event in your game.
:)

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat May 24, 2014 7:55 pm

HerrDan wrote:Yes, always something like this:

SelectFaction = $FRA
SelectRegion = $anywhereyouwant

actually, to be combine being pedantic, pointless and annoying, you don't

all you need at the top is Selectfaction..Tthis will basically determine which game log the event appears in, so use CMN (ie it will appear in all the logs) or your own faction ... only really relevant in MP of course. You can then skip to 'startevent'. I think the region at the top is either a legacy of an older AGE scripting approach or simply for housekeeping, but it has no impact on how the event works.

HerrDan

Sat May 24, 2014 8:44 pm

loki100 wrote:actually, to be combine being pedantic, pointless and annoying, you don't

all you need at the top is Selectfaction..Tthis will basically determine which game log the event appears in, so use CMN (ie it will appear in all the logs) or your own faction ... only really relevant in MP of course. You can then skip to 'startevent'. I think the region at the top is either a legacy of an older AGE scripting approach or simply for housekeeping, but it has no impact on how the event works.

Oh yes, I think I didn't express myself well enough, I meant for his event to work he needed this lines below Actions, the selectregion at the top of the event I know is not necessary as I remember you said somewhere in the forum and I used some events you made for me where this line "selectregion" was absent so I know it's not necessary, it was just a mistake when I wrote here. :D
:)

Jim-NC

Sat May 24, 2014 8:50 pm

Below is a script I used to get the minor nations contentment up. You will see that I picked each faction once, and then added contentment to each region that needed it. I did not add to all the regions for each country, but only those rioting and striking.
I also used no conditions (to make sure it fires).

SelectFaction = $CMN
SelectRegion = $Anglia
StartEvent = Minor_Contentment_Increase_1884|1|1|NULL|NULL|$Anglia|NULL
Conditions

Actions

SelectFaction = $GUA
SelectRegion = $PETEN
ChgPopContent = 15
SelectRegion = $IZABAL
ChgPopContent = 15

SelectFaction = $HON
SelectRegion = $SAN PEDRO SULA
ChgPopContent = 55
SelectRegion = $TRUJILLO
ChgPopContent = 55
SelectRegion = $TEGUCIGALPA
ChgPopContent = 55

SelectFaction = $NIC
SelectRegion = $CORINTO
ChgPopContent = 55
SelectRegion = $MANAGUA
ChgPopContent = 55

SelectFaction = $COS
SelectRegion = $GUANACASTE
ChgPopContent = 55
SelectRegion = $LIMON
ChgPopContent = 55
SelectRegion = $SAN JOSE
ChgPopContent = 55

SelectFaction = $VEN
SelectRegion = $CORO
ChgPopContent = 30
SelectRegion = $CARACAS
ChgPopContent = 55

SelectFaction = $URU
SelectRegion = $RIVERA
ChgPopContent = 55
SelectRegion = $PAYSANDU
ChgPopContent = 55
SelectRegion = $COLONIA
ChgPopContent = 55
SelectRegion = $MONTEVIDEO
ChgPopContent = 55
SelectRegion = $BENTOS
ChgPopContent = 55

SelectFaction = $SWI
SelectRegion = $SVIZZERA
ChgPopContent = 55
SelectRegion = $SCHWEIZ
ChgPopContent = 55
SelectRegion = $SUISSE
ChgPopContent = 55

SelectFaction = $OFS
SelectRegion = $KIMBERLEY
ChgPopContent = 55
SelectRegion = $PHILIPPOLIS
ChgPopContent = 55
SelectRegion = $BLOEMFONTEIN
ChgPopContent = 55

SelectFaction = $TRV
SelectRegion = $KLERKSDORP
ChgPopContent = 55
SelectRegion = $WINBURG
ChgPopContent = 55
SelectRegion = $LYDENBURG
ChgPopContent = 55
SelectRegion = $MOSEGA
ChgPopContent = 55
SelectRegion = $THOBOYANDU
ChgPopContent = 55

EndEvent
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MarshalJean
Lieutenant

Sun May 25, 2014 4:00 am

Just an update:

The script that I used that finally worked across France in one fell swoop was this:

SelectFaction = $FRA
StartEvent = evt_nam_FRA_NapoleonicFame1855a|1|2|Napoleon III's fame spreads throughout France!1855|Event-img_FRA_ManDecember1851|$Ile de France|NULL

Actions
DescEvent = evt_desc_FRA_Napoleon_the_III_fame_spreads!1855
SelectRegion = $Sologne
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Bretagne
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Normandie
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Sarthe
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Loire
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Vendee
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Charente
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Aquitaine
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Bearn
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Midi
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Picardie
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Nord
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Artois
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Anjou
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Nivernais
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Limousin
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Auvergne
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Champagne
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Bourgogne
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Franche_Comte
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Ardennes
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Alsace
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Lorraine
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Vosges
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Meuse
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Rhone
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Dauphine
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Savoie
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Basses_Alpes
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Languedoc
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Provence
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Corse
ChgPopContent = 100

EndEvent

As was stated by loki, the SelectRegion command was not needed at the top, but was obviously needed for each change of population contentment in the Action paragraph. Thanks a lot, guys, for all of your help. I've learned a lot through this process.

MarshalJean

HerrDan

Sun May 25, 2014 5:08 am

MarshalJean wrote:Just an update:

The script that I used that finally worked across France in one fell swoop was this:

SelectFaction = $FRA
StartEvent = evt_nam_FRA_NapoleonicFame1855a|1|2|Napoleon III's fame spreads throughout France!1855|Event-img_FRA_ManDecember1851|$Ile de France|NULL

Actions
DescEvent = evt_desc_FRA_Napoleon_the_III_fame_spreads!1855
SelectRegion = $Sologne
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Bretagne
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Normandie
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Sarthe
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Loire
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Vendee
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Charente
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Aquitaine
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Bearn
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Midi
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Picardie
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Nord
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Artois
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Anjou
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Nivernais
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Limousin
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Auvergne
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Champagne
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Bourgogne
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Franche_Comte
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Ardennes
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Alsace
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Lorraine
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Vosges
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Meuse
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Rhone
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Dauphine
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Savoie
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Basses_Alpes
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Languedoc
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Provence
ChgPopContent = 100
SelectRegion = $Corse
ChgPopContent = 100

EndEvent

As was stated by loki, the SelectRegion command was not needed at the top, but was obviously needed for each change of population contentment in the Action paragraph. Thanks a lot, guys, for all of your help. I've learned a lot through this process.

MarshalJean

You're welcome. :)

But isn't 100 contentment a bit too much for France in the 1850s? You might end up a bit bored by the lack of challenge :mdr:

MarshalJean
Lieutenant

Sun May 25, 2014 1:23 pm

HerrDan wrote:You're welcome. :)

But isn't 100 contentment a bit too much for France in the 1850s? You might end up a bit bored by the lack of challenge :mdr:

Indeed, you're probably right, HerrDan. I'm still just learning so much about this game and how it works that I've certainly over-nerfed things. And, as I learn how to use the modification scripts, I'll be able to make things play out more historically. It's about learning right now. Thanks!

HerrDan

Sun May 25, 2014 8:15 pm

MarshalJean wrote:Indeed, you're probably right, HerrDan. I'm still just learning so much about this game and how it works that I've certainly over-nerfed things. And, as I learn how to use the modification scripts, I'll be able to make things play out more historically. It's about learning right now. Thanks!

Maybe you might like to start an AAR? What do you think? I know really, when we're learning we sometimes need to adjust things to make it easier, I , for instance started playing in the easiest difficult level now I'm playing in the second harderst and it's great that we can adjust everything during the game, so that we don't need to start a new campaign to test things out :)

Return to “Pride of Nations”