HidekiTojo
Colonel

Good countries for beginner?

Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:15 am

I was playing Belgium but I don't particularly like not being able to carry out the higher level colonial actions. Like colonial buildings and military outposts etc...

I really like to play as a country that isn't all-powerful at first and then be able to build myself up to become all-powerful.

I suppose though if playing as a country that has those options precludes that then I prefer to be able to colonize.

ajnatalo
Sergeant

Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:38 am

Prussia. I love Playing as Prussia.

Gen. Monkey-Bear
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:42 am

It sounds like you describe Sardinia-Piedmont exactly. It might start a little slow, but still faster than Belgium. You work toward Italian independence and unification. As your country develops, you expand into the colonial areas of Libya, Ethiopia and the African Horn, and possibly Albania, though I'm not certain. At first the country is small, but if you play well, it grows quickly.

Kensai

Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:55 am

Belgium actually was a good option because you eventually get the higher-level colonial actions later, when the right king takes command. This is ideal for beginners who want to first learn how their economy works and then delve into colonizing. This for the 1850 scenario. If you start in 1880 any country is good (but is Belgium available for a 1880 start? I don't recall) as it is the "Scramble for Africa".

Actually, I think the game can be more stable (and turn out more historical) if you start in 1880, given that most unification processes have completed and all the major countries are set for colonization.
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

HidekiTojo
Colonel

Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:01 pm

Kensai wrote:Belgium actually was a good option because you eventually get the higher-level colonial actions later, when the right king takes command. This is ideal for beginners who want to first learn how their economy works and then delve into colonizing. This for the 1850 scenario. If you start in 1880 any country is good (but is Belgium available for a 1880 start? I don't recall) as it is the "Scramble for Africa".

Actually, I think the game can be more stable (and turn out more historical) if you start in 1880, given that most unification processes have completed and all the major countries are set for colonization.

you can start in 1880?

Jim-NC

Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:08 pm

There is an 1880 DLC. That allows an 1880 start.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HidekiTojo
Colonel

Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:36 pm

Great!

I bought the 1880 campaign, but now I am having a bit of trouble deciding....

Could you guys offer some suggestions using the criteria from above in the op?

Basically I much prefer to be involved in Colonization, Economics and Navies not land wars in Europe. Also I would prefer not to be absurdly powerful at the start or be a country that will have an absurdly easy campaign.

Also apart from Italy, it kinda bugs me the lack of any domestic coal but I will suffer through it if its the only country like that its just that the coal issue really bothers me.

HidekiTojo
Colonel

Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:00 am

HidekiTojo wrote:Great!

Basically I much prefer to be involved in Colonization, Economics and Navies not land wars in Europe. Also I would prefer not to be absurdly powerful at the start or be a country that will have an absurdly easy campaign.

Also apart from Italy, it kinda bugs me the lack of any domestic coal but I will suffer through it if its the only country like that its just that the coal issue really bothers me.

c'mon someone help me decide :thumbsup:

Gen. Monkey-Bear
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:39 am

Well, I think if you start in 1880, then try Belgium. By that time you can use the full colonial options, and of course all the advantages of playing Belgium (no land wars, good economy) still exist.

For an 1850 start, I still recommend Sardinia-Piedmont.

HidekiTojo
Colonel

Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:57 am

Gen. Monkey-Bear wrote:Well, I think if you start in 1880, then try Belgium. By that time you can use the full colonial options, and of course all the advantages of playing Belgium (no land wars, good economy) still exist.

For an 1850 start, I still recommend Sardinia-Piedmont.

I really wanted to try Belgium out...but it's not there!

I can only select the major countries.

Kensai

Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:18 am

Bummer, you are right. By 1880 both Belgium and the Ottomans (which were added later in the original 1850 campaign as well) are not in. Any country you play by 1880 is ok. You will have tons of fun and the game will be much more balanced and close to the historical. This because, fortunately, the 1880 passes several early "bumps".

• Unification of Germany and Italy
  • American Civil War
  • Crimean, Mughali, Wars
  • Rise of Japan

The above events tend to bog up the early AI. By 1880 the world is in some sort of standoff, they don't have many claims on each other but they want to compete for the colonies which is after all WHAT THIS GAME IS ALL ABOUT! :thumbsup:

I would go with Italy or Austria-Hungary and try some alternate reality dominance. Austria-Hungary is even more unique cause in real life by the 20s it was totally dismembered. Perhaps you will have better luck. One piece of advice though: A-H does NOT have positive SOIs and historically was not interested for colonial actions, thus you won't have colonial choices by card to play unless you script them in. This means that in order to have colonies you must wait for others to develop them and then conquer them.

So if you like a game of "convincing" warfare, try A-H, but Italy may give you a much more balanced game while still playing an underdog.
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:

Großdeutschland Mod

Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:

Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

Christophe.Barot

Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:25 pm

if you want something more complex :

early simple, endgame powerhouse and natural colonizing ability - try germany - totally fit - BUT early pre 1880 game you'll have european wars you don't like

something close (very limited exconomically early) : Russia - strong action possible in central asia, (some in Korea too) normally no rival if British don't make an EARLY push in Afghanistan - if you get lucky and active you can beat them there - BUT no colonization overseas and you have strong European wars (if you manage it well, only Ottoman and you should beat them, but if you don't like it ...

besides Italy and Austria, japan may be an interesting challenge - not boring if you take it in 1880 - but of Corurse, many areas are already Chinese influenced, and, like Italy, japan is short on coal, but for a simple game, Japan is an alternative (you don't need to fight Russians before 1905 - you don't "need" to fight Chjinese at all, but you should if you want to win or rank well.

Else, for an intermediate country, powerful colonially, but less complex than the British Empire monster, or powerfukl german or Russian Empire (or USA), you have France in 1880 - war of 1870 is over, and next return match is not before 1914 (and can be avoided), so you can concentrate your energies on building a powerful colonial Empire and have all needed means to do - and areas are more limited (Africa Indochina) so it iw WAY less complex thya managing British Empire - you can easily fare better than AI in Indochina and Africa
[color="#FF0000"]- (ordnance) Your Lordship, sorry to awake you, but The french are at our door !

- Alarm, alarm, how did you let this happen and not awake me ! repel them, counterattack at once !

- err, your Lordship, ahem... French are our allies, Marshal de St Arnaud is expected to attend to a conference with you !

- ahem, well, .... very well ..let them in !

(charge of the light brigade movie)
[/color]

HidekiTojo
Colonel

Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:54 pm

Christophe.Barot wrote:if you want something more complex :

early simple, endgame powerhouse and natural colonizing ability - try germany - totally fit - BUT early pre 1880 game you'll have european wars you don't like

something close (very limited exconomically early) : Russia - strong action possible in central asia, (some in Korea too) normally no rival if British don't make an EARLY push in Afghanistan - if you get lucky and active you can beat them there - BUT no colonization overseas and you have strong European wars (if you manage it well, only Ottoman and you should beat them, but if you don't like it ...

besides Italy and Austria, japan may be an interesting challenge - not boring if you take it in 1880 - but of Corurse, many areas are already Chinese influenced, and, like Italy, japan is short on coal, but for a simple game, Japan is an alternative (you don't need to fight Russians before 1905 - you don't "need" to fight Chjinese at all, but you should if you want to win or rank well.

Else, for an intermediate country, powerful colonially, but less complex than the British Empire monster, or powerfukl german or Russian Empire (or USA), you have France in 1880 - war of 1870 is over, and next return match is not before 1914 (and can be avoided), so you can concentrate your energies on building a powerful colonial Empire and have all needed means to do - and areas are more limited (Africa Indochina) so it iw WAY less complex thya managing British Empire - you can easily fare better than AI in Indochina and Africa

France in 1880 sounds perfect. I really wanted to get suggestions on a country for 1880.

HidekiTojo
Colonel

Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:37 pm

Ive noticed as France I can't build colonial brigades in 1880??

It's really strange how can I then build units that are able to survive in the colonies?

What's an expeditionary brigade? Can they go into Africa and survive?

Jim-NC

Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:23 am

You may start the game with all of the colonial brigades built. Thus, you can't build any new ones.

Expeditionary brigades are OK, they will survive OK.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

epaminondas
Captain

Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:32 pm

HidekiTojo wrote:What's an expeditionary brigade? Can they go into Africa and survive?

I have nothing to back this up other than my impressions when using them, but Expeditionary Brigades (especially those with a cavalry component) seem to perform well against native levels and have quite low supply demands.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:44 am

actually any 'light' unit will do, so mountain troops and European light infantry can all cope with the cohesion losses for moving in colonial regions. Once you have researched the 1880s techs, even regulars are of more use as the cohesion loss becomes less crippling
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

Jonathan Pollard
Major

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:32 pm

HidekiTojo wrote:Great!

Historically Belgium did not suffer from a lack of domestically produced coal until the late 19th century, so what you can do is "cheat" by writing a script to give yourself some coal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_coal_mining#Belgium
"Two suspects are in FBI custody after a truckload of explosives was discovered around the George Washington Bridge...the FBI...says enough explosives were in the truck to do great damage to the George Washington Bridge." Dan Rather of CBS News, 9/11/2001
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Pride of Nations”