loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sardinia-Piedmont unification chain

Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:53 pm

This is just to make some suggestions about this. Should stress I am quite content that an effective suicide dow by the Austrian AI is NOT hardwired into the chain. From our perspective, the events of 1859 may seem 'logical' but there is a good reason why Italian history books talk about the 'miracle of 1859'.

However, as it is the chain seems to peter out with the mobilisation event. There is no reason for the Austrian (either player or AI) to do anything. The revolt risk is a pain, but can be kept under control. There is no threat of escalation elsewhere in the empire, so its quite logical to accept some low level nuisance in Lombardy and carry on as before.

I'm not sure how to model this but at the moment few players are reporting an 1859 style unification so the chain isn't really working (all it does is to protect S-P via the French alliance). So what about one of two final steps.

First if the Austrians don't respond aggressively, then some degree of unrest elsewhere in the Empire. That might make it worthwhile to risk a war if the alternative is more generalised unrest?

Second, end the chain (post mobilisation) with a forced diplomatic crisis. That would allow the player(s) to seek to be as aggressive or passive as they wished but at least would put up a large prestige pot. So if S-P plays aggressive (most likely) they either get the war they wanted or a large prestige boost for showing the world they can (diplomatically at least) force the Austrians to back down.

Either iteration at least creates uncertainty and a larger cost to just ignoring the rise in revolt in N Italy?

powloon1
Lieutenant

Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:22 pm

I heartilly agree with this. My S-P game has just passed mid 1860 with no sign of any Austrian aggression (that is not to say I might not have a DOW around the cornner). I would be very interested to know how many S-P players had Austria declare war on them based on the event chain and were then subsequently able to unite Italy and aquire Venezia and Lombardy.

My gut feeling the vast majority of the unifications are based on the back up event chain.

I like the idea of a forced crises as it still allows various outcomes without forcing a war down the players throat.

Gresbeck
Sergeant

Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:59 pm

powloon1 wrote:My S-P game has just passed mid 1860 with no sign of any Austrian aggression

+ 1.
BTW, suggestions would be appreciated. My economy runs smoothly and the game is getting rather boring. Should I try to DOW Austria? Any chance to win without the French?

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:20 pm

Gresbeck wrote:+ 1.
BTW, suggestions would be appreciated. My economy runs smoothly and the game is getting rather boring. Should I try to DOW Austria? Any chance to win without the French?

I don't think so, remember they will play their mobilisation card and massively outnumber you pretty soon. So you may snag the Po valley but I doubt you'll hold it.

In my current game I've gone very colonial after the scripted alternative unification chain and am waiting for Austria & Prussia to fall out. At the moment they have a defensive alliance so war with Austria also means war with Prussia, so that has become critical to my own plans. I'd actually like to take on the Ottomans as they are there for the having, but I daren't pull the bulk of the army off the Po 'just in case' (would be my luck that 4-5 turns into a war with the Ottomans that an Austro-Prussian war erupts)

powloon1
Lieutenant

Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:16 am

Gresbeck wrote:+ 1.

As mentioned probably best to wait until Austria is distracted by another war (and checking what defensive alliances they have)

I think the game for the small nations can go through these periods of boredom. In my game I have started a couple of minor colonial wars in the Horn of Africa it gives me something else to worry about each turn other than how to balance my coal stockpile :) . There are a couple of active AARs on the paradox site ( including mine and loki's ) that might give a couple of ideas

Return to “Pride of Nations”