Lannes
Major

Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:00 am

Peu de personnes ont répondues, et parmi le groupe admis, certains sont déjà aux abonnés absents.

Vous parlez de quoi ?????

Pocus

Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:48 am

des volontaires pour aider aux recherches et constructions d'OOB sur VGN...

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Galaahd
Conscript

Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:28 pm

How big will be the provinces? I hope not too big, I want to be able to make my own border during a peace resolution :)

Generalisimo

Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:51 pm

Galaahd wrote:How big will be the provinces? I hope not too big, I want to be able to make my own border during a peace resolution :)

You will have to wait to see that on the next official screenshots... probably for the new year. ;)
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

marioflag
Conscript

Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:03 pm

Pocus wrote:We are striving to do that yes, and several such military campaigns are in the work (Crimean War, Boer War, War of Italian Unification, etc.) . Not all will make it in the end, only the better polished, but for now we are working hard on all of them!

I take profit of this thread to reiterate the offer: we need people with interest in history willing to help up flesh these campaigns, as data researchers and beta testers for VGN.

I have a really good knowledge of the Eastern Question between 1870-1890 and the diplomacy around it.

I can offer lot of data about the Russo-Turkish crisis of 1876-1878 and the following Congress of Berlin.

I'm not as much knowledgeable about the Russo-Turkish conflict in military terms but i have all the books i need to provide data.

Unfortunately though i don't have a good knowledge about programming and i have a job which takes a lot of my time so my help could be only limited to providing data about these arguments if you need that.

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:13 am

What or who is sneaking up on you Pocus? t

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:14 am

Erik: I lost my ATTWWII game when I got a new computer. Could you help me restore it? Larry

Pocus

Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:13 am

tagwyn wrote:What or who is sneaking up on you Pocus? t

This is our dear Fernando aka Generalisimo, coordinator of the beta team and dedicated data researcher!

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Pocus

Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:13 am

tagwyn wrote:Erik: I lost my ATTWWII game when I got a new computer. Could you help me restore it? Larry

Hu, which game? Wrong thread anyway, please post in the support forum of the said game. We don't have a WW2 game out yet ;)

Mr Bill
Corporal

Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:00 am

Do we have an ETA on this game? I have been following this thread since about the time of its inception (early '07), and it sounds like it'll be a great game. :thumbsup:

However, the fact that this game doesn't even have its own forum has me thinking we won't be seeing it until Q2 2009 or later.

Not that that's a bad thing (okay maybe a little bit :neener: ), as I don't mind waiting for a polished game. I would, though, like a rough estimate on when I might get to play it. :D

Pocus

Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:05 pm

Your guess on the release date (Q2 2009 or later) is a good one. It won't be out before, that is sure!

Mr Bill
Corporal

Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:27 am

Pocus wrote:Your guess on the release date (Q2 2009 or later) is a good one. It won't be out before, that is sure!

Fair enough (I guess my guess on the release makes me Captain Obvious :neener: ).

I guess I'll just have to be satisfied with a nice batch of new screenies. :D

Pocus

Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:19 pm

Cpt Obvious. A nice chap ;)

razorbackjac
Captain

I agree

Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:38 pm

WallysWorld wrote:Well for myself, I would only be interested in a long or grand campaign covering the entire period. If VoN is only delivered with smaller focused campaigns, I hate to say but I would not buy it. I would much rather take a nation through 70-100 years than through just 5-15 years.

As to the scale of a grand campaign, either bi-monthly or monthly turns would be adequate. Obviously if one starts a grand campaign, they would have to realize a big and long commitment to finish it.

Now that I would like myself. :thumbsup:

Pocus

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:25 am

Turns are bi monthly, always, even for the Campaigns. If you are frightened by the whole 1850 campaign, then small campaigns will be available.

Moriety
Major

Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:46 am

Galaahd wrote:How big will be the provinces? I hope not too big, I want to be able to make my own border during a peace resolution :)

Yep,

I agree, if they are a tad too large then Belguim will be a single province :mdr:

Ok, seriously, the population density and wealth of a region should be a key factor in deciding where lines are drawn: Other than London and the Kentish Coal-fields most Southern British regions should be large, whilst the Midlands and the Northern English areas should be numerous as that is where most of the British wealth came from (after the "export" of physical people to the colonies).

Scotland had the ship building on the southern west coast (By Glasgow), as did England on the NE coast (The Tyne), and betwix them built 1 in 5 of the worlds ships in this time, and Belfast in Northern Ireland was heavily industralised, again ship-building was prominant.

I'd say that Birmingham should have several provinces alone whilst my London should get one only, hard to do on the map, but the large cities were served by the hinterlands so stretching Sheffield, Manchester and Leeds etc into the natural hinterland they had should work- or the northern English area should simply consist of extremely rich provinces with just London in the south being rich as she was heavily industralised (East London) and the centre of government, the rest labelled poor as they provided the rest of the food that Canada, Australia and New Zealand didn't. (fruit and grain mainly)
"Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time you've got" Art Buchwald, U.S. Journalist and humourist

Pocus

Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:59 am

Belgium is made of 2 provinces. Perhaps 3 if you count Luxembourg into it. :)

Moriety
Major

Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:35 pm

Pocus wrote:Belgium is made of 2 provinces. Perhaps 3 if you count Luxembourg into it. :)

Aw, I don't think the Luxembergers will like that! :)

Still, two provinces- rich in trade (wealth) for the coastal region and rich in coal for the other? Or are you doing Belguim on the traditional Northern Flemish and Southern French? (North/South rather than West/East).

Now Pocus, about that province control file in ACW you made available..... :D
"Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time you've got" Art Buchwald, U.S. Journalist and humourist

boboneilltexas
Corporal

Vista Beta testing

Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:52 pm

When you get a beta release ready, I'd be glad to test it on Vista for you. Us retirees have time available. (not as much as you would think but my lady friend is in the hospital right now).
For one grandsire stood with Henry,
On Hanover's Sacred sod,
And the other followed "Harry"
In the Light Horse' foremost squad.
And my grandsires stood together
When the foe at Yorktown fell;
"Stock" like this, against oppression
Could do naught else but REBEL.

Jeff Thompson - Brig Gen. Missouri

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Testing VGN

Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:09 pm

Phil: I would be happy to help as best as I can. Larry3

Cat Lord

Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:13 pm

Pocus wrote:Belgium is made of 2 provinces. Perhaps 3 if you count Luxembourg into it. :)
I hope they still have their 5 governments... :neener:

(inside joke for my Belgian friends around here :clown: , sorry)

Cat
[CENTER]
Image[/CENTER]

Generalisimo

Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:15 pm

To all of you interested in helping with VGN, send me a PM with which you consider are your areas of expertise (OOBs, events scripting, testing, scenario development, etc) and what you offer to do... and then we talk about that. ;)

Do not forget, the game covers 1850-1920. So, anything outside that range, is out of the scope of the game.

Also, for you to know, something we are lacking are some good data on OOBs for some countries for that period. So, if you think you can find that data, process it, insert it into an excel file and send it back... don't hesitate to contact me. :thumbsup:

Thanks. :coeurs:
Napoleon Bonaparte

Stwa
Colonel

Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:56 pm

Why did I not realize this game went to 1920. [slaps forehead]

Does that mean there will be WWI stuff in this game too?

Does that mean there will be WWI Naval units with dreadnoughts on the unit cards?

For some reason, I thought this was mostly about the 1870's... and again I thought it mostly about the Fanco-Prussian war at that time.

:)

Generalisimo

Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:20 pm

Stwa wrote:Why did I not realize this game went to 1920. [slaps forehead]

Does that mean there will be WWI stuff in this game too?

Does that mean there will be WWI Naval units with dreadnoughts on the unit cards?

For some reason, I thought this was mostly about the 1870's... and again I thought it mostly about the Fanco-Prussian war at that time.

:)

Well, it is stated in the old first post...
Vainglory of Nations is a historical strategy game, with a simultaneous turn-based engine, that sets the players at the head of the Great Powers of the world between 1850 and 1920.

:siffle: :niark:
Napoleon Bonaparte

Pocus

Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:44 pm

Well perhaps we can dare post one, tiny image, for the New Year? Beside, the artist behind it can be found wandering in these forums, so ... no big secret revealed here!

And no, there won't be others before quite some weeks! :cool:

Anguille

Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:13 pm

Pocus wrote:Well perhaps we can dare post one, tiny image, for the New Year? Beside, the artist behind it can be found wandering in these forums, so ... no big secret revealed here!

And no, there won't be others before quite some weeks! :cool:

hmmm...it's nice but it's really...tiny :cool:

Pocus

Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:37 pm

This is a counter, a 2D counter specifically, the one you get in the lower center panel in our games. As you can see, some counters are not necessarily squares, but can be rectangles.

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Help with VGN.

Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:00 pm

Pocus/Phil: I will try to help with VGN if you wish. t :thumbsup:

PhilThib

Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:33 pm

Thank you...we'll surely find tasks for you :coeurs:

gunnergoz
Corporal
Location: Sunny Sandy Ego, CA -- also known as San Diego or "America's Finest City" to the tourist i

Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:19 am

I just now stumbled into this part of the forum and am very, very pleased to see this game in the works. It is a fascinating period in history. I will be most curious to see more information as it is released. This should be well worth waiting for, judging by the games of yours I've played.

Return to “Pride of Nations”