Pocus

Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:02 pm

Carnium wrote:Thanks for reply Pocus.
Would it be possible for certain units/lands to revolt because of the national awareness ?

Some will certainly desert and even change allegiance, if provinces secede.

We are concentrated on economy, commerce and research, so we don't have made all the decisions about what you speak, sorry (ethnics, social problems and such).

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Serpent77
Sergeant

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:25 pm

Is there any estimated time of feeding us some new screenshots?

Martial-law
Conscript

Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:40 am

Serpent77 wrote:Is there any estimated time of feeding us some new screenshots?

Oh yeah. Feeling really hungry for such stuff. Need to have a glimpse on our beloved VON. If you please post some would be grateful. :)

PhilThib

Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:19 am

We are right now receiving new graphics...give us a few more days and we'll send you some nice pics...

Pocus

Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:02 am

Not before 2009 for actual screenshots, sorry. Perhaps some artist sketches can be shown though. The long wait, yes! :love:

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

TheDoctorKing

POP goes the weasel

Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:03 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:Victoria's "Pop" system is one of the reasons I actually shelved the game from my collection. I found it overwhelmingly burdensome as far as micormanagement was concerned and I certainly hope AGEod doesn't make the same mistake.

I played Vicky a whole lot (hi Rafiki) and I have to say that I loved the idea but hated the execution of POP's. I like the idea that in the age of industrialization, capitalism, and liberal politics that the opinions, abilities, etc. of the ordinary citizen made a difference. I hope that AGEOD's new release takes this into account. The opinions of your people should really constrain your policy choices, even for less-than-democratic governments. That was one thing I always found grating in Vicky - you could fairly easily manipulate your population around to your point of view or else just ignore them with relative impunity, even in democratic or parliamentary government systems.

I, too would be willing to do some research to help this project along. I think this is a very important time period that games have not paid too much attention to. I could contribute especially on events and conditions in Latin America and Africa, which are my research specialization.

TheDoctorKing

Population movement

Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:12 pm

Another thing that I found annoying in all the Paradox titles was that population movement was not well simulated. Instead of the clumsy colonization method used in EUII, or the opaque system in Vicky, I think that the best thing to do is to have a matrix with all land areas rated for the likeliehood of their people to move to all other land areas (to reduce the amount of memory use you could use super-regions like US states). Each intersection would have a rating, either 0 (no contact), to + or - a few percent a year of population moving one direction or another. Variables would be the relationship between the two countries (easiest if it is the same country, of course), the economic strength of each place, the cultural similarity between the donor country and at least some portion of the population of the recipient area, technological conditions simulating ease of travel, infrastructure levels of each area, event-driven conditions simulating things like gold rushes, and political considerations related to governmental policies, encouragement of immigration, pogroms, slave trade, etc. You check once a year (doesn't have to soak up processor time every day) and people move realistically. Otherwise you end up like I frequently did in Vicky with Alaska being the most populous state in the USA and Chicago being a tiny village. Or some German areas in the 1850's losing huge percentages of their population while neighboring ones were not losing any at all.

keith
Sergeant

Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:44 pm

i am really interested in the diplomatic side, i want to see a flexibale approach to alliances based on national priorities. I want to be able to make and break alliances when it suites me. i want to be able to double cross other nations to help me towards my goal, Also I have been thinking about how the game will handle the us civil war and will the large powers be able to intervene. Is it possible within the game for the us player to avoid the war and to see how the world would develop

hootieleece
Private

Grand Campaign

Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:31 am

I would be definitely interested in a Grand Campaign. For a GC I think Monthly turns are adequate. I know that I would make fighting wars a little abstract but if you have as much going behind the scenes as you say. I think it would be a good compromise.

As far CSA is concerned put it in several of the shorter scenarios but give the player a choice to continue with the Grand Campaign if Civil War is won.

Generalisimo

Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:10 pm

hootieleece wrote:I would be definitely interested in a Grand Campaign. For a GC I think Monthly turns are adequate. I know that I would make fighting wars a little abstract but if you have as much going behind the scenes as you say. I think it would be a good compromise.

As far CSA is concerned put it in several of the shorter scenarios but give the player a choice to continue with the Grand Campaign if Civil War is won.

I think i can only say to you that there is a GC scenario planned... and also smaller scenarios so you can get the "feel" of the game. :thumbsup: :coeurs:
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

SimonB1er
Conscript

Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:39 am

What's the timeline for this game?

Pocus

Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:29 am

The game is set between 1850 and 1920 (excluding the Russian Revolution follow-up).

marioflag
Conscript

Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:53 pm

VGN is probably the game i'm most waiting and will be my first Ageod game.

I have just one question: the fact that Ottoman Empire is not playable make me fear that the Eastern Question will not be given as much attention as colonialism or in general relations between Western Powers.
Are we going to see Balkan and Caucasian affairs well modelled in VGN? (afterall Russo-Turkish conflicts and Britis-Austro-Russian struggle for influence in the Balkans were the greatest source of concern for a global war in Europe after 1870.)

Are we going to see modelled also the Russo-Turkish war of 1878 and Bulgarian crisis in 1885?

Generalisimo

Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:30 pm

marioflag wrote:VGN is probably the game i'm most waiting and will be my first Ageod game.

I have just one question: the fact that Ottoman Empire is not playable make me fear that the Eastern Question will not be given as much attention as colonialism or in general relations between Western Powers.
Are we going to see Balkan and Caucasian affairs well modelled in VGN? (afterall Russo-Turkish conflicts and Britis-Austro-Russian struggle for influence in the Balkans were the greatest source of concern for a global war in Europe after 1870.)

Are we going to see modelled also the Russo-Turkish war of 1878 and Bulgarian crisis in 1885?

If you are using as a base a post that was made on February 2007... things "may" have changed a lot since then.
So, I must say you that you may have some good surprises about this... :siffle: :D
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:19 am

AHA!!! A new pic of Pocus!!! Wonderful. :p apy:

marioflag
Conscript

Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:57 am

Generalisimo wrote:If you are using as a base a post that was made on February 2007... things "may" have changed a lot since then.
So, I must say you that you may have some good surprises about this... :siffle: :D

It's really nice to know ;)

Moriety
Major

Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:40 pm

Yep,

The Ottoman Empire must be in the game- Both the UK and Germany vied for her attention and the UK lost, Allies in the Crimean war, at war with each other in WWI 60 years later: I can't wait for this game!

I must say Ageod is now the greatest developer around in my books- I'd never even heard of you fellah's untill I brought ACW as the games box cover looked interesting... You have, after the awful EUIII, taken over from Paradox as the new serious developer on the block: Keep up the good work guys!

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Vgn?

Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:38 pm

Does the game have a single player campaign game? :p apy:

Rafiki

Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:50 pm

The game is still being developed, but I'd be very surprised if it didn't :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Franciscus

Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:55 pm

Maybe the question should be if the game is going to have a single player, single nation working campaign... ;) ;)

Rafiki

Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:08 pm

The game is still being developed, but I'd be very surprised if it didn't :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Pocus

Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:10 am

You will be able to choose to start with one among 8-9 major nations, for the Campaigns.

Cavalryman
Corporal

....will it be a better product at release than WW1?

Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:25 am

...lets hope that this will be better than ww1 at release......proper manual (that actually can be used!)...proper testing of the product...WW1 was...is...a disgrace

Pocus

Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:07 pm

If you like the others AGE Engine games, like AACW, NCP and lately War in Americas, then you should be at ease with VGN.

Galaahd
Conscript

Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:28 pm

Will there be mini campaigns about the historical wars of the period or will there be just the grand campaign?

Pocus

Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:34 pm

We are striving to do that yes, and several such military campaigns are in the work (Crimean War, Boer War, War of Italian Unification, etc.) . Not all will make it in the end, only the better polished, but for now we are working hard on all of them!

I take profit of this thread to reiterate the offer: we need people with interest in history willing to help up flesh these campaigns, as data researchers and beta testers for VGN.

Jojo le Gouffy
Captain

Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:45 pm

Le recrutement lancé en novembre n'a donc pas suffi ?

murat
Lieutenant

Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:28 pm

Dear Pocus,
I'm interested about project VON.
I'm rechercher in history of economic thought, with passion for military and politic, and diplomatic history.
I offer you my collaboration.
I hope that you are interested in my collaboration
Murat

Pocus

Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:55 am

Jojo le Gouffy wrote:Le recrutement lancé en novembre n'a donc pas suffi ?

Peu de personnes ont répondues, et parmi le groupe admis, certains sont déjà aux abonnés absents. :(

Pocus

Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:57 am

murat wrote:Dear Pocus,
I'm interested about project VON.
I'm rechercher in history of economic thought, with passion for military and politic, and diplomatic history.
I offer you my collaboration.
I hope that you are interested in my collaboration
Murat

Hi Murat,
Your collaboration is welcome!

Please send a PM to these persons: Generalisimo, Rafiki, PhilThib, Pocus.

Return to “Pride of Nations”