Barney

Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:11 am

heckler_rider wrote:
somewhat detailed military structure - corps level is just to bland for me, I can't get emotionally attached to the IV Corps, but give me the 4th Royal Irish Gragoon Guards and I'm in heaven. Seriously, you need some flavor for the military - generic units dont cut it. I think corps level is also to high, many of the more famous battles were fought with smaller forces.

I agree. The ability to name your units down to the regimental level is an absolute must in my opinion. This is an enormous part of the flavour of the era particularly for those students of the Colonial Wars of the British Empire.

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:14 pm

I agree, I lost interest in trying to manage the economy of France and the habits and occupations of individual citizens and, at the same time, to control the many wars between England and France. Did Pocus have an ancestor wounded at Austerlitz? T :p apy:

ERutins
Private

Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:46 pm

Philippe wrote:Vainglory of Nations is a pretty good title and I rather like it.

Agreed!

But if I had to propose an alternative, I would suggest "Blood and Iron" in honor of Bismark. The real title, of course, would be "Blut und Eisen", but that would only show up in mods or in the German market. But I'm sure someone, somewhere, must already be using this.

A great suggestion, but I have to say please don't use that one as we've had it as a working title for one of our unannounced projects for some time. (and you already have a lovely title :hat: )

Sol Invictus

Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:10 pm

Care to elaborate? Pretty please.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

Duckman
Sergeant

Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:29 pm

you know, the idea behind implementing so much POP management into Victoria was so that the player would have something to do during peace time. I dont mind managing the POPs. I dont do it too often at the benefit of less micromanaging but at the cost of lower productivity, but thats the decision of the player. i think Victoria is the best game I ever played and comes really close to (for me) creating the feel of the 19th century. I hope AGEOD's Vainglory will be just as good!

Prussian Prince
Captain

VainGlory fo Nations Release Date?

Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:51 pm

:innocent: Just wondering if anyone has a possible date yet......giver or take a few months :siffle:
Player of many Ageod Games : AACW, ROP, BOA2 and PON!

Beta Tester for EU2 and HOI3:thumbsup:

Rafiki

Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:55 pm

Prussian Prince wrote: :innocent: Just wondering if anyone has a possible date yet......giver or take a few months :siffle:

Nope, I'm afraid not :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

goodwood
Lieutenant

Vain Glory?

Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:20 pm

Is silence golden? no news no new screen shots, and no forum, what's the go? :siffle:
Happily Grumpy:siffle:

Spharv2

Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:02 pm

goodwood wrote:Is silence golden? no news no new screen shots, and no forum, what's the go? :siffle:

Well, we have a forum...it's just that you're not allowed to peek. :siffle:
Official Queen's Ambassador to the South
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:24 am

Philippe wrote:Vainglory of Nations is a pretty good title and I rather like it. But if I had to propose an alternative, I would suggest "Blood and Iron" in honor of Bismark. The real title, of course, would be "Blut und Eisen", but that would only show up in mods or in the German market. But I'm sure someone, somewhere, must already be using this.

I am also puzzled how to translate VON to German: "Eitel Ruhm der Nationen", "Ruhm und Eitelkeit der Nationen" .. all sounds stupid to me. Much better sounding would be "Für Ruhm und Vaterland", but like "Blut und Eisen" it suggests a game from the Prussian / German perspective - which is not correct.

But I am sure Ageod need not worry about translation. Vainglory of Nations is a great title if you ask me.

Syt
Colonel

Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:01 am

GlobalExplorer wrote:I am also puzzled how to translate VON to German: "Eitel Ruhm der Nationen", "Ruhm und Eitelkeit der Nationen" .. all sounds stupid to me. Much better sounding would be "Für Ruhm und Vaterland", but like "Blut und Eisen" it suggests a game from the Prussian / German perspective - which is not correct.

But I am sure Ageod need not worry about translation. Vainglory of Nations is a great title if you ask me.

A more proper translation of "Vainglory" would be "Prahlerei" or "Angeberei", though. ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The brutality and inhumanity of war stood in great contrast to what I had heard and read about as a youth.
- Reinhold Spengler, war volunteer 1st Bavarian Infanterie Regmnt., 1916

dooya

Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:12 am

GlobalExplorer wrote:I am also puzzled how to translate VON to German: "Eitel Ruhm der Nationen", "Ruhm und Eitelkeit der Nationen" .. all sounds stupid to me. Much better sounding would be "Für Ruhm und Vaterland", but like "Blut und Eisen" it suggests a game from the Prussian / German perspective - which is not correct.
[...]
Although I would expect that "Vainglory of Nations" will retail under the very same name in Germany, I think this is an interesting question. My favorite translation of "vainglory" would be "Hybris", because it puts more emphasis on "vain" than "Prahlerei" does. Thus, "Vainglory of Nations" would translate to "Hybris der Nationen" or "Nationen in Hybris". However, on the other hand, "Hybris" is not very commonly used.

By the way, I think I would even prefer "Völker" over "Nationen", although I do not know whether this is historically correct...
No quote - No bullshit!

PhilThib

Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:19 am

FYI, the boargame Christophe and I designed which was the basis of this game was name "Une Place au Soleil" in French, literrally "Platz an der Sonne", a famous quote from Kaiser Wilhelm II... :indien:

Our Swedish friends used the quote in a tricky way with vicky, which was subtitled "an Empire under the sun"... :niark: :sourcil:

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:09 pm

dooya wrote:However, on the other hand, "Hybris" is not very commonly used.

"Der Hochmut der Nationen"? :innocent:
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]
Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)
[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]
American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

dooya

Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:46 pm

Heldenkaiser wrote:"Der Hochmut der Nationen"? :innocent:
Might be correct in respect to translation, but sounds more like a title for a fairy tale to me. When I'm dreaming of conquering the world, "Hochmut" is way to "un-vain" for me, it has to be my "Hybris" that I am going to stumble across. Image

:niark:
No quote - No bullshit!

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:54 pm

dooya wrote:When I'm dreaming of conquering the world, "Hochmut" is way to "un-vain" for me (...)

Are you kidding? Hochmut kommt vor dem Fall, as you know. :niark:
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]

dooya

Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:06 pm

Heldenkaiser wrote:Are you kidding? Hochmut kommt vor dem Fall, as you know. :niark:
Yes, I know, but "Hybris" seems to me as a comparative to "Hochmut". See, for instance, the definitions at dwds:

Hochmut, der; Überheblichkeit, Dünkel: jmdn. voll H. ansehen; von H. erfüllt sein; jmdm. den H. austreiben; /sprichw./ H. kommt vor dem Fall;

Hybris, die; -, /ohne Pl./ [hü ..] 〈griech.〉 frevelhafter Stolz, Übermut, frevelnde Selbstüberhebung: eine maßlose, verderbliche H.; die H. des Tyrannen; seine grenzenlose Überheblichkeit ist H.; Der von den Sternen, der Macht und der Erbärmlichkeit seiner Kreaturen dreifach zur Hybris Verführte [Wallenstein]
The latter appears to me as much more befitting the rank of a maniac emperor. :D
No quote - No bullshit!

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:11 pm

Na gut, dann halt die "Frevelnde Selbstüberhebung der Nationen (FSÜN)" :indien:

dooya

Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:13 pm

Heldenkaiser wrote:Na gut, dann halt die "Frevelnde Selbstüberhebung der Nationen (FSÜN)" :indien:
You definitely have my vote on that one. :niark:
No quote - No bullshit!

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:25 pm

A better known word for Hybris would be Grössenwahn.

But I think we're getting nowhere. Maybe this just does not translate well. So in the end, even for internationalized versions, isn't Vainglory of Nations the best title? Maybe not understood by everyone, but it sounds interesting, the title gives you bragging rights if you have it first!

Jabberwock

Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:38 pm

Make up a new word? Vergebruhm :bonk:
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

Le Ricain

Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:45 pm

dooya wrote:Although I would expect that "Vainglory of Nations" will retail under the very same name in Germany, I think this is an interesting question. My favorite translation of "vainglory" would be "Hybris", because it puts more emphasis on "vain" than "Prahlerei" does. Thus, "Vainglory of Nations" would translate to "Hybris der Nationen" or "Nationen in Hybris". However, on the other hand, "Hybris" is not very commonly used.

By the way, I think I would even prefer "Völker" over "Nationen", although I do not know whether this is historically correct...

Not speaking German and therefore at the risk of stepping way out of line, I will contribute to this thread. I think that the Gernan "Hybris" must be the same as the English word "Hubris". If it is, then I think that "Hybris/Hubris" describes "Vainglory" pretty well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

dooya

Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:16 pm

Le Ricain wrote:Not speaking German and therefore at the risk of stepping way out of line, I will contribute to this thread. I think that the Gernan "Hybris" must be the same as the English word "Hubris". If it is, then I think that "Hybris/Hubris" describes "Vainglory" pretty well.
You are correct, German "Hybris" translates to English "Hubris".
No quote - No bullshit!

stejones82
Conscript

Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:18 pm

Gentlemen all,

New to the fray, and if you are still accepting requests then let me suggest:

*** A self-generating AAR creating a 'history' document summarizing the major events of the player's country of choice. ***

While playing the Medeival Total War, I alwayd thought that would have been a most entertaining thing to have at the end, instead of a simple and cheesy "victory Screen" and cheesier music.

Something to the effect of:

Summer 1852 - peaceful development of the Indian sub-continent interrupted by French aggression in the Mediterranean. Palestine lost to the Turks with their Prussian allies.

Winter 1863 - Britain sides with the Confederacy and invades from Canada to regain the territories lost previously to the American Revolution.

Fall 1864 - With Britain mired in the American Civil War, France and Prussia join to expunge Anglican influence in the African territories and begin to systematically divide the continent whilst forcing the British further and further south. Regions X and Y lost.

Spring 1865 - the War against the US faired badly with Canada lost. The investment of resources in the CSA stirred up the old rivalry with France leading to the loss of all holdings in Africa.

Winter 1865 - Peace with the US, Prussia and France.

Spring 1870 - Britain launches campaign to regain African possessions.

And so on and so on ...

I for one would relish these documents, re-reading them again and again as I continue toward old age as if looking at old snapshots!

Living the 'Vainglory of Nations' would certainly be very entertaining, but having the chance to read of my accomplishments ... exquisite!

This could even have a running sub-total of Victory Points enmeshed within, to assess at each stage the player's overall standing within the 'world.' Perhaps it might be interesting to 'voice' the history from the viewpoint of an opposition newspaper.

Just my two cents!!

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:32 pm

dooya wrote:You are correct, German "Hybris" translates to English "Hubris".

Unless I am much mistaken, both is Greek ... the English apparantely don't like the "y" and render it as "u", but it's the same word. :innocent:

But it's most likely a word not in common use even with wargamers, let alone the broader public.

dooya

Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:49 pm

Heldenkaiser wrote:Unless I am much mistaken, both is Greek ... the English apparantely don't like the "y" and render it as "u", but it's the same word. :innocent: [...]
Never said anything else. The Greek origin was already mentioned in the dwds-definitions I quoted earlier:
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showpost.php?p=69746&postcount=226
Heldenkaiser wrote:[...]But it's most likely a word not in common use even with wargamers, let alone the broader public.
As I said.
No quote - No bullshit!

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:39 pm

Even after learning English for 20 years, I just came up across a new expression, which is "delusions of grandeur". I found it while I searched the translation of the german "Grössenwahn", which is something like megalomania, both in the pathologic and non-pathologic sense.

Delusions of grandeur. Apart from the fact that this strikes me as almost pure french, wouldn't it make a nice title for a computer game / film?

Nice linguistic discussion in this thread, I just hope nobody feels annoyed :niark:

saintsup
Captain

Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:58 pm

PhilThib wrote:Our Swedish friends used the quote in a tricky way with vicky, which was subtitled "an Empire under the sun"... :niark: :sourcil:

Always thought it was a reference to 'the empire where the sun never sets'

Jojo le Gouffy
Captain

Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:02 pm

Hubris existe en français dans une reprise littérale du grec ancien.
La traduction est démesure.
Le terme grec s'applique à un homme qui ne respecte pas les limites implicites propres à son état dans un monde régit par les dieux
Et ceux-ci ont tendance à être jaloux.
Ainsi l'hubris conduit en général celui qui en fait preuve à la catastrophe.
Exemple Les Bacchantes d'Euripide

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:29 pm

dooya wrote:As I said.

I thought it would bear repetition. :D

Return to “Pride of Nations”