Ilitarist
Sergeant

Help me fall in love, please

Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:20 pm

I've got Revolution under Siege and Rise of Prussia. I really liked the games but they lacked scenarios, especially RoP. I understand that this kind of historical strategies is not like your typical TBS with random map generator but RuS has only 3 relatively short scenarios and RoP has none.

Anyway, Pride of Nations. I've played the demo and didn't get it. Not only I couldn't understand if the game is good, I can't say what's it about. Almost the same interface suggests it's a wargame but all those screens with politics, diplomacy and research look even scarier than any of Paradox games. So this game should be wide and complex, eh? But wait, it has 70 years, each year has 24 turns and oh my god. 1680 turns (and several minutes of waiting between them) with such complex rules... You have created a monster of complexity and size!

I couldn't find reviews that explain what is this game. I browsed a forum and still have no idea. I see it has a couple of scenarious and surprising quantity of DLCs... So is this a platform for tactical mini-games? Is this game any better than other AGE games? Please explain this game to me.

pesec
Corporal

Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:44 pm

It is a wargame when there is a war (and a few turns immediately before the war putting everyone in their place). Most of the time, you are managing economical and social aspects of your nation.

Andris
Private

Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:48 pm

I am finding my way with exactly the same two games now.

PON is... about everything, in fact. More about economy and colonial expansion. I went through about 12 years of the grand campaign... and it was quite boring, to be honest.

But not so with the RUS! This is really, really great, and this is exactly about the turning point in the history of the world of the XXth century as I see it, it was where all those Hitlers and Stalins came from... it's just a shame that AI is so dumb in this game that it let me an easy victory. This is a pure wargame strategy and it never is boring.

Perhaps you'd be a better Lenin? Fancy an e-mail game? I'll play the Whites, remember! It's just... you know... I'm Russian, and I live in Moscow. I just don't want to play the Reds. Both of my grandfathers did so in real life, but I wouldn't. :)

Ilitarist
Sergeant

Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:25 pm

pesec wrote:It is a wargame when there is a war (and a few turns immediately before the war putting everyone in their place). Most of the time, you are managing economical and social aspects of your nation.

Well, that seem... wastefull. All those complex screens look like they will give you historical feeling. France had how much, 3 wars to speak of? So everything goes straight to Total War style? That's sad.

>Fancy an e-mail game?

Извиняюсь, пока слишком нуб для мультиплеера.

pesec
Corporal

Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:52 pm

Ilitarist wrote:Well, that seem... wastefull. All those complex screens look like they will give you historical feeling. France had how much, 3 wars to speak of? So everything goes straight to Total War style? That's sad.

No, there are few wars, which means that it is a wargame for only a small portion of the timespan. No Total War-style nonsense here.

That said, long inter-war period should be spent in preparation for potential conflicts: arrange systems of fortification, supply networks, make sure you can produce enough supply and ammunition when feces hit the fan, etc.

Also, Russia, UK and France will spend most of the timeframe colonizing, with long but low-intensity colonial wars (where victory and defeat become less clear than in a decisive European conflict).

Aphrodite Mae

Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:17 am

I would summarize the game as a geopolitical simulation of the 19th century. Each nation has its own issues and agenda, and your decisions involving the economic, cultural, technological, and military development of your nation can cause you to take your nation in directions that are anything but historical. For example, I have enjoyed playing Prussia with the goal of unifying the German states quickly, making Prussia a commercial and diplomatic power without such an emphasis on military development, and establishing colonies in Africa and the South Pacific that never existed, historically.

If you are looking for thrilling battles and intense warfare, this game probably isn't for you. On the other hand, if you enjoy intellectual challenges that involve subtlety, Machiavellian maneuvering in diplomacy and statecraft, and building vast trading empires, you'll enjoy this game.

There has been a great deal of discussion about the length of the turns, but it's easy to overlook the fact that the game encompasses the entire planet. Including the weather! :) The entire planet is "evolving", in a sense, during those long processing periods. Another frequently cited drawback is the intensely steep "learning curve" of this game. It's intimidating, without question. But personally speaking, I think that it's well worth the effort! :)

There are weaknesses in the game, without doubt. But all things considered, I think that this game offers a depth and richness that I've never found, with any other game. My husband and I own and have played all AGEod games except Napoleon's Campaigns, and I believe that Pride of Nations is AGEod's best effort, to date. I love this game! I hope you do, too. :)

Best wishes,
[SIZE="3"][font="Book Antiqua"]Aphrodite Mae[/font][/size]

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:50 am

Aphrodite Mae wrote:I would summarize the game as a geopolitical simulation of the 19th century. Each nation has its own issues and agenda, and your decisions involving the economic, cultural, technological, and military development of your nation can cause you to take your nation in directions that are anything but historical. For example, I have enjoyed playing Prussia with the goal of unifying the German states quickly, making Prussia a commercial and diplomatic power without such an emphasis on military development, and establishing colonies in Africa and the South Pacific that never existed, historically.

If you are looking for thrilling battles and intense warfare, this game probably isn't for you. On the other hand, if you enjoy intellectual challenges that involve subtlety, Machiavellian maneuvering in diplomacy and statecraft, and building vast trading empires, you'll enjoy this game.

There has been a great deal of discussion about the length of the turns, but it's easy to overlook the fact that the game encompasses the entire planet. Including the weather! :) The entire planet is "evolving", in a sense, during those long processing periods. Another frequently cited drawback is the intensely steep "learning curve" of this game. It's intimidating, without question. But personally speaking, I think that it's well worth the effort! :)

There are weaknesses in the game, without doubt. But all things considered, I think that this game offers a depth and richness that I've never found, with any other game. My husband and I own and have played all AGEod games except Napoleon's Campaigns, and I believe that Pride of Nations is AGEod's best effort, to date. I love this game! I hope you do, too. :)

Best wishes,

You should write press releases for Aegod! I do not mean this as anything other than a compliment because that was a beautifully written description of the game.

michaelangelo
Conscript

Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:53 am

Well said, Aphrodite Mae, well said. While I don't enjoy the game nearly as much as you, I believe it must be approached with a different mindset from other AGEOD titles to date. I think I would enjoy PON the way you do if there really were Machiavellian maneuvering and intellectual challenges...and perhaps there are if you are blessed with an imagination greater than mine. :eyebrow:

In any event, there is depth and richness here as with all AGEOD games, however they are somewhat muted and in depth and subtle in color.

Ilitarist
Sergeant

Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:53 am

Aphrodite Mae wrote:I would summarize the game as a geopolitical simulation of the 19th century.

Best wishes,

Thanks. That's what I needed. The game is bought.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:51 pm

H Gilmer3 wrote:You should write press releases for Aegod! I do not mean this as anything other than a compliment because that was a beautifully written description of the game.

YEAH! Oh [SIZE="3"][font="Book Antiqua"]Aphrodite Mae[/font][/size], I would be ok to acknowledge you as a queen (I don't want to be your knight, just a bishop* :D ) if you could write a such good text for RUS :)
EDIT: Bishop: I mean, in french the chess bishop is "le fou (du roi)" (the jester)

Aphrodite Mae

Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:27 pm

H Gilmer3 wrote:You should write press releases for Aegod! I do not mean this as anything other than a compliment because that was a beautifully written description of the game.

Thank you, H Gilmer3! Your gracious words truly made my day! :)

michaelangelo wrote:Well said, Aphrodite Mae, well said. While I don't enjoy the game nearly as much as you, I believe it must be approached with a different mindset from other AGEOD titles to date. I think I would enjoy PON the way you do if there really were Machiavellian maneuvering and intellectual challenges...and perhaps there are if you are blessed with an imagination greater than mine. :eyebrow:

In any event, there is depth and richness here as with all AGEOD games, however they are somewhat muted and in depth and subtle in color.

I appreciate your kind words, michaelangelo.

I must maintain that there are opportunities for Machiavellian maneuvering; for example, as Prussia, my friendship with France fostered through trade and "abandoning" the Franco/Prussian border enabled me to colonize Morocco without shedding a single drop of Prussian blood. My French "friends" were there to attack and be attacked by the local insurrectionists. I give the French a sense of security in Europe, and provide them with party supplies (food, wine, luxuries, etc.); in return, they fight my colonial battles for me. I don't think that they intend to be so sweet... but that's the way it turned out! So: the French shed their blood in the North African desert sun, while my sweet little Prussians sit in the shade and munch the tropical fruits, fish, and other goodies to be found in Casablanca. Sounds pretty Machiavellian, to me! :D

As for intellectual challenges... I maintain that they're definitely there! Learning how to manage the world's largest economy with 0% inflation has been both fun, and challenging. As Britain and Russia have bludgeoned each other into stunned and stupefied weakness in their ongoing fruitless war, my Prussia has grown to have both the world's largest economy and the world's largest army. Let the rest of the world howl and slay. This sweet little queen enjoys sitting in Brandenburg, listening to Bach while munching tropical fruits and deciding where we're going to expand our colonies and markets to, next.

Ilitarist wrote:Thanks. That's what I needed. The game is bought.

I hope that you enjoy PoN, as much as I have! If you're unable to find answers to vexing questions while you learn the game, please don't hesitate to send me a PM. I'll respond with whatever help I can offer! :)

ERISS wrote:YEAH! Oh [SIZE="3"][font="Book Antiqua"]Aphrodite Mae[/font][/size], I would be ok to acknowledge you as a queen (I don't want to be your knight, just a bishop :D ) if you could write a such good text for RUS :)

Thanks, Eriss! That's very sweet of you! (I think you're more of a Rook, myself. ;) )
I misspoke, when I said that Dixicrat and I owned all games except Napoleon's Campaigns. I forgot to consider RuS. Maybe you and I can play a short PBEM scenario, after we buy it. No doubt, that will inspire me to write glowing praise about RuS, too! :)

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:33 am

Aphrodite Mae wrote:Thanks, Eriss! That's very sweet of you! (I think you're more of a Rook, myself. ;) )

I edited my post: In french the chess bishop is told the jester (le 'fou').
I forgot to consider RuS. Maybe you and I can play a short PBEM scenario, after we buy it. No doubt, that will inspire me to write glowing praise about RuS, too! :)

I had disliked RUS, as it shares many flaws of AGE games: bad for screens using big DPI, not good french localization, very incomplete tutorial. If I were not in love with this RUS history, I'll just give a 2/5 grade for RUS. But for me this is the better Ageod game, and it should deserve more.
Since its release, I only played less than 5 small scenario. And never a PBM. So, I don't think I'll crush you on this game. However it would be an honor to play with you.
But, since long, I had promised Andatiep a PBM, so I would be polite to differ the PBM with you (I fear being lost doing 2 games in same time).

Ilitarist
Sergeant

Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:36 am

Aphrodite Mae wrote:I hope that you enjoy PoN, as much as I have! If you're unable to find answers to vexing questions while you learn the game, please don't hesitate to send me a PM. I'll respond with whatever help I can offer!

I'm sure I will.

By the way, I see lack of videos on PoN (or any other AGEOD game). Your average Joe would try to find some let's plays or tutorials on such complex games both before and after buying it. I've managed to get into RuS thanks to small scale engaging scenarios but when I start Rise of Prussia/Pride of Nations and observe all my realm for 15 minutes I usually decide to put it aside till better times. Tutorial taught me to move armies etc but it's like teaching a man to shoot and drop him behind enemy lines.

Pocus

Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:40 pm

There is this presentation video on PON that we did as the team. But no specific gameplay video tutorial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EVW6aYHUQ0

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “Pride of Nations”