Pocus

PON Public Beta Patch 1.01f ( officialized as 1.02 one day)

Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:39 pm

PON Public Beta Patch 1.02

[INDENT] Hi everybody,

By popular demand, we are releasing the latest version of PON to everybody! Please note that this version is a "1.02 beta version" meaning that some bugs may remain, and some improvements are still on the radar.

It is safe to say though, that this Public Beta version will provide you an even better gaming experience than the current 1.01 version you are playing with. Image

Once all issues are fixed, and after the QA department has validated it, this beta patch (internally called 101e) will be made official and will become version 1.02, the first official patch for PON.

INSTRUCTIONS

This installation procedure is STEAM compatible!

Installing this beta patch asks you a bit of file copying. There is nothing complicated, just follow these steps (they are very detailed but someone knowing how to move files in Windows will do that in a few seconds!):

1. Get the ZIP archive provided at the end of this post. Open it, you should see the game executable PON.EXE and a folder, named VGN. Move these 2 items in a temporary directory, say C:\Temp\PONBeta

2. Find where is located the game, Pride of Nations. A good way of doing that is moving your mouse cursor over the PON icon (you must not have selected an icon for this trick to work, click on an empty space of your desktop to deselect any icon). Wait a few seconds, the location of your game should appear in the tooltip.

If you are using Steam, you won't get all the informations though. You have to head to the main directory where is Steam, then go to \SteamApps\common ... Here you should find all your Steam games!

3. Open the Pride of Nations folder. There are some files and directories. Open the VGN directory. You should see several others directories. Select these ones:
Aliases
Events
FrontEnd
GameData

These ones are the first 4 listed normally. Once you have all the 4 selected, delete them. Yes, to the trash! Wait a bit, as there are a lot of files to send to the shredder...

You have to delete them, or you won't be able to play correctly.

4. Move one directory up. You should be back to Pride of Nations, seeing again the main game executable (PON.EXE) and the VGN directory (that we trimmed a bit... summer diet Image ). Things get easy now. Keep this window open, then go to the directory where you put the 2 items we spoke about in entry (1), so you should head to C:\Temp\PONBeta.

5. Select these 2 items (PON.EXE and VGN directory), then drag&drop them to the Pride of Nations directory. Windows will ask you if you want to overwrite what is there. Say yes to all. The former PON.EXE will be replaced by the new one, and the older VGN directory will receive quite a face lift, with new updated files.

6. Once done, close everything. Double click on the PON icon (on your desktop generally). The splash screen should show you 1.01e Public Beta patch. Should you get an error before seeing the main menu, it can mean you forget a step somewhere. Just restart from (1) in this case.

ATTACHMENT

http://ageoddl.telechargement.fr/tem...a_patch102.zip

(too big to attach, but the link works nonetheless!)
It is necessary you restart a new game, discarding older saves. While you install this fix, don't hesitate to delete entirely the Saves folder (you can do that more slowly in game also). We will do our best to stay save-compatible from now on, rest assured.

TROUBLESHOOTING

If after several tries, you don't manage to install the fix, then don't hesitate to post here, we will help you.

FIXES AND NOVELTIES

FIXED and major: Memory leak removed!
new: You can now cancel Buy orders from the B interface.
fixed: Display bug that masked some structures.
new: Prices recover better and more logically
new: wastage of resource reduced in effect
new: naval resupply algorithm revised entirely, plus message giving details on it.
new: national regions now benefit from a 'minimum development level', if under 10%, you get +1% every 3 months.
new: tribal get replacements for free, slowly.
new: commerce ships in MTBs get back some cohesion over time
fixed: Depot extension and coaling upgrades problem.
new: Initiator of a colonial crisis can lose his CP in the contested colony.
new: minor can be the target of crisis.
fixed: Replacement leaders now appear (note there is perhaps a bug on duplicating leaders though)
fixed: structures in construction can not be activated with the 'activate all' button
fixed: a problem with supply rights that gave the benefit of a defensive treaty.
fixed: Inflation works reliably.
fixed: Map loading improved behavior should now work even if the checkbox is not on (hopefully!)
fixed: Can now use gunboat diplomacy
fixed: DOWing a country now abort all treaties
new: National morale limited to 250. More rubberband mechanisms around morale.
new: if you lack a specific resource for an industry, the message tells you which one.
fixed: you'll get every 3 months a message about your progress on the historical missions.
new: AI time usage in case of war reduced by 10% (not to 10% Image )
new: Hosting time reduced between 10 and 15%, depending of the turn.
new: the harbors close to your capital can always send sea supply to harbors close to any MTB where you have ships. (Basically if you have a ship as GBR in Southern Africa Trade box, then the harbors near London can send supply to the harbors in South Africa).
new: Can't play prospectors in region where there is no hidden resources.
new: You don't prevent merchant ships to commerce even if you have combat ships in their MTB.
new: When you form up a colony, relationships with the tribal will be at least 0.
new: The resources icons on map now show the number of resources in their tooltip.
new: Before building a structure, the tooltip tells you about the theoretical input and output.
new: Unit building panel code optimized, should not slow down the game anymore.
changed: Crisis about a colony asks for an average 15 CP, not 5.

changes and fixes focused on data:

* Fixed some budget and costs of the EIC army: GBR now receives 250£ every 6 months as 'contribution' to finance the Army in India (till 1860)
* fixed some upgrade costs on units - Also added missing pictures for some units
* Fixed EvalColStatusArea script error
* Fixed natural disasters events (wrong religion alias caused crash)
*Models DB fixes (costs, tech upgrades, new pictures, new values for some elements)
* Fixed a script error that prevented the Missions annual checks to be effected and displayed.
* In addition FP of economic structures is adjusted for some missions (e.g. more cereal farms for Russia)
* New 1850 GC OOB: lots of African and Asian nations forces added on map (still WIP if volunteers want to bring corrections)
* Changed Cotton resources on map outside USA: much lower until the ACW occurs, then Cotton 'spreads' to Egypt, India and Southern Brazil in greater quantities
* Diplomatic parameters for AI added (thanks to Ehrenbourg tremendous work!)
* New events for SPA, POR, BEL and TUR added
* More Colonial and Balkan crisis events
* Allowed German unification by peaceful means to occur earlier
* Fixed wrong states borders in the USA (thanks to Aragos)
* Cherokee are friendly to USA, other Indian tribes start at peace
* Fix of abilities (CinC appliance)
* Oil, gold, gems and rubber resources fix (add population during rushes)
* Some 1850 setup fix in regions (control, trade, resources) [/INDENT]

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Czert
Sergeant

Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:47 pm

I dis it as writed (overwriten files), but after starting game (corectly display it 1.01e) it shows me mesage :
TAbiDefs.Get data container for abilites definitions has some disrepancies for UID 219.

Nikel

Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:49 pm

You forgot step 3? Delete the folders

Aliases
Events
FrontEnd
GameData

Ironchancellor
Sergeant

Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:54 pm

Hello thanks for your reply i have done everything it instructs on this site but when i start the game it asks for a serial number. I put in the forum number giving to me on Gamersgate and it wont accept it. If this isnt the right serial number can someone give me one from the designers of this game before i explode thank you!!

Cordell
Sergeant

Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:34 pm

No problem for me so far...
Just following carefully all the step :)

Except the version say Patch 1.01e public beta patch (so its probably normal)

Et un GRAND MERCI :thumbsup:

AndrewKurtz

Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:55 pm

Worked fine for me too once I followed the directions.

As with all beta releases, use at your own risk. Anyone who complains about beta software shouldn't be installing it.

Also, again as with all software, one should always make a backup before installing an update, especially a beta patch. A simple CTRL-C/CTRL-V in Windows explorer and you have a backup.

Ironchancellor
Sergeant

Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:37 pm

Hello just to say. Ive sorted it out after making a mess of the first installation. Ive been having a rough day sorting out a internet connection problem and another game i just bought that doesnt work properly. thats why i was a bit hasty with the installation and made a mess of things. I ended removing the original VGN folder and the PON exe file. When i installed these two files. It came up with the serial number box, when i put in the serial number it worked but the whole thing collapsed. So i started again did as you say. After a while it all started to work smoothly then installed the PON exe file and started it from the desktop icon without asking for a serial number. Not sure if the one you gave me made any difference. But Gamersgate have not issued any serial numbers; only forum numbers i suppose for Paradoxes tech section. So you better look into that. Thanks anyway, sorry if i was rather heated up. :wacko:

razorbackjac
Captain

nice

Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:20 am

Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

hgilmer
Captain

Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:28 am

Holy cow. If I don't use steam can I just unzip it somewhere?

Eoghammer
Sergeant

Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:41 am

if you aren't using steam, it is nearly the same procedure just the step to seek the game folder is modified...

hgilmer
Captain

Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:55 am

It seems from the description there whould be one folder and one pon.exe file.

That is not how it is for me. It is just a bunch of files.

The pon.exe file is there and 40,000 other files. No directory. The path column shows where they should be....Maybe I don't know what I am doing.

Durk

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:45 am

hgilmer wrote:It seems from the description there whould be one folder and one pon.exe file.

That is not how it is for me. It is just a bunch of files.

The pon.exe file is there and 40,000 other files. No directory. The path column shows where they should be....Maybe I don't know what I am doing.

Did you unzip into a folder as suggested?
I placed a folder on the desktop, unzipped into that folder, and it was what you hoped to see, one exe and one folder.

hgilmer
Captain

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:58 am

Durk wrote:Did you unzip into a folder as suggested?
I placed a folder on the desktop, unzipped into that folder, and it was what you hoped to see, one exe and one folder.

Yeah, I'm dumb. I went ahead and extracted and now it looks right.

Durk

Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:03 am

Hopefully you are set. Once you open the game and it works, let us know.

Amadeus
Corporal

Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:10 pm

Pocus wrote:It is necessary you restart a new game, discarding older saves. While you install this fix, don't hesitate to delete entirely the Saves folder (you can do that more slowly in game also).

Is that really necessary cause my old game should be started with the old sav. Does the sav contain the new features?

hgilmer
Captain

Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:13 pm

Durk wrote:Hopefully you are set. Once you open the game and it works, let us know.

It worked. The new patch seems to make the turns run smoother for me.

DaemoneIsos
Sergeant

Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:13 pm

Still getting CTD at turn execution :(
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pocus

Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:01 pm

Details? We can help, with details...

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Jürgen
Conscript

error after installing patch

Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:52 pm

I get this message when i open PON on the desktop to start playing after i installed:

'settings erroneous value or family alias while reading an AI affinity reading affinity 0'

when i enter then this message pops up a couple of times more which the digit changing, and then after a blank popup it gives a critical message and something about a saved game and then a box that says PON.exe that doesn't work.

What should I do ?

caranorn

Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:00 pm

Jürgen wrote:I get this message when i open PON on the desktop to start playing after i installed:

'settings erroneous value or family alias while reading an AI affinity reading affinity 0'

when i enter then this message pops up a couple of times more which the digit changing, and then after a blank popup it gives a critical message and something about a saved game and then a box that says PON.exe that doesn't work.

What should I do ?

Did you delete all four folders listed further up under this topic?
Marc aka Caran...

Jürgen
Conscript

yes i did

Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:08 pm

yes i did, and i tried some more and the computer asks me if i want to add the four folders to the existing ones, replacing them and i click for this for the 4 different files and then he stops with all the files ...

caranorn

Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:12 pm

Jürgen wrote:yes i did, and i tried some more and the computer asks me if i want to add the four folders to the existing ones, replacing them and i click for this for the 4 different files and then he stops with all the files ...

Then those folders can't have been deleted. If they were deleted you would not be asked to add to them, you would only be asked for other folders included in the patch...

The reason why those folders have to be deleted is that the files in the old folders have different names from the files in the new ones, so if you just overright the old folder you will end up with duplicate file numbers (but different names) which will obviously lead to problems (at best unnecessary files taking up storage room, at worst file conflicts)...
Marc aka Caran...

Jürgen
Conscript

Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:12 pm

I thin it's downloadedbut it's not in the correct folder maybe ... I just don't know anymore.

Maybe i should delete everything including the original game and install PON again and then try again ...

caranorn

Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:15 pm

Jürgen wrote:I thin it's downloadedbut it's not in the correct folder maybe ... I just don't know anymore.

Maybe i should delete everything including the original game and install PON again and then try again ...

Yes, that would be the best approach. Uninstall the game, delete any left overs and then make a clean install, delete the 4 mentionned folders and copy over the patch...
Marc aka Caran...

Jürgen
Conscript

Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:22 am

Well I have deleted both the entire PON and also the Beta patch i unzipped yesterday. Cleared the entire waste bin.

I reinstalled PON, redowloaded the Beta patch, threw the 4 files in the bin and deleted the 4 files out of the bin.

Moved both the new VGN files from the patch to the VGN files, and also the PON.exe files from the patch to the VGN files

and then ... well the same failure message

the original PON works but when i try to installe the update.

I do everything you ask, but maybe my computer is different than everybody else's :-(

caranorn

Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:54 am

Jürgen wrote:Well I have deleted both the entire PON and also the Beta patch i unzipped yesterday. Cleared the entire waste bin.

I reinstalled PON, redowloaded the Beta patch, threw the 4 files in the bin and deleted the 4 files out of the bin.

Moved both the new VGN files from the patch to the VGN files, and also the PON.exe files from the patch to the VGN files

and then ... well the same failure message

the original PON works but when i try to installe the update.

I do everything you ask, but maybe my computer is different than everybody else's :-(

No idea what's the problem then. I expect Pocus will have to check that. But seing as you are newly registred here it is unlikely that he can provide you technical support on these forums. I'd recommend you either log in at Paradox, register your game there and ask the same question in the tech forum over there. Alternatively contact Pocus privately with some proof of purchase so he knows it's a non pirated copy of PoN...

P.S.: No offense intended, I'm not assuming you are a pirate, but seing how PoN can be found on a number of torrent sites it's something Ageod and Paradox have to consider when giving tech support...
Marc aka Caran...

Jürgen
Conscript

Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:50 am

3rd time is a charm they say ...

well it works now after again reinstalling and correctly following the instructions, I have no failure messages, and it correctly starts.

Thanks for helping

caranorn

Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:18 am

Jürgen wrote:3rd time is a charm they say ...

well it works now after again reinstalling and correctly following the instructions, I have no failure messages, and it correctly starts.

Thanks for helping

:-)
Marc aka Caran...

Gray_Lensman

Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:27 pm

deleted

ETF

Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:02 pm

Hmm well followed the easy instructions.....runs fine however I still show on the load screen 1.01.

Hmm how is that possible after all the deletions I made. Is there a way in the game to determine your version #?

Checked the recylced box all the correct files/folders were deleted. Strange.

Return to “Pride of Nations”