willgamer
Lieutenant Colonel

Crisis in Samoa... I can't even find Somoa!

Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:40 pm

It's turn 13 in my USA game.

Samoa is not on my objective list. Never even vacationed there. :blink:

I have 5% CP in Samoa; otherwise Prussia owns it.

Up pops USA initiating a crisis against Prussia! What's that all about!

Furthermore I win the crisis by threatening Prussia with war! :mdr:

Mirabile Dictu! :D

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:49 pm

It represents private interests prodding the government into action over colonial competition. In my opinion, crises shouldn't happen so early and so frequently with such low CP, but hopefully they will be tweaked later on...

I believe double-clicking on the red crisis event in the message box should take you to the territory in question (in addition to opening the crisis window)... failing that you can find it in the colonial affairs map window by filtering to display your colonial interests.
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

willgamer
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:14 pm

John Sedgwick wrote:It represents private interests prodding the government into action over colonial competition. In my opinion, crises shouldn't happen so early and so frequently with such low CP, but hopefully they will be tweaked later on...

I believe double-clicking on the red crisis event in the message box should take you to the territory in question (in addition to opening the crisis window)... failing that you can find it in the colonial affairs map window by filtering to display your colonial interests.

Thanks for the info... I didn't know what might have triggered it.

OK, so that may have been a little tongue-in-cheek about finding it, but I did walk away with +1248 prestige. :cool:

Actually, seems like that was rather excessive, so yeah I too lean toward tweaking this. :)

Aragos

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:32 pm

yeah it may seem excessive, but only because the Prussians played their hand too strongly :)

Just wait until they go to war over it ;)

Hohenlohe

Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:15 pm

willgamer wrote:It's turn 13 in my USA game.

There exists a interesting historical story behind that event that leaded in the late 19th century to the separation of Samoa in an US and in a German Part...

I got the same event playing as the Ottomans...

greetings

Hohenlohe
R.I.P. Henry D.

In Remembrance of my Granduncle Hans Weber, a Hungaro-German Soldier,served in Austro-Hungarian Forces during WWI,war prisoner, missed in Sibiria 1918...

wosung

Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:19 pm

willgamer wrote:It's turn 13 in my USA game.

South-East Pacific
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samoa

Playing as USA without consulting the manual I first choose the defensive diplo set in the crisis generator ... only to loose Samoa & Prestige.

Rethought the issue, esp. with regard to international prestige ranking (USA: No. 3, Prussia: well...), hum, ... reloaded... choose the last diplo set, something like neogtiate out of a position of strength. This time it worked fine against the "Huns".

Regards

Hohenlohe

Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:28 pm

wosung wrote:South-East Pacific
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samoa

Playing as USA without consulting the manual I first choose the defensive diplo set in the crisis generator ... only to loose Samoa & Prestige.

Rethought the issue, esp. with regard to international prestige ranking (USA: No. 3, Prussia: well...), hum, ... reloaded... choose the last diplo set, something like neogtiate out of a position of strength. This time it worked fine against the "Huns".

Regards

In my Ottomans game i got additionallly two events belonging to the US:
first: the US congress resisted to introduce new naval vessels...50 prestige loss to the USA

second: after the Samoa Crisis happened the same...*grin*

in historical reality I the Prussian king would have ordered my Navy to the Samoa Area or the US East Coast to give the "evil" Yankees a decent lesson in Politics...*grin* because their fleet is nearly not existing...*duckandcover*

If you would try to solve the Crisis like this during a MP gameplay you would get a decent lesson...*grin* from the good ole Prussians...

greetings

Hohenlohe

edit: in history the USA and Great Britain together mastered somehow the Samoa Crisis against the German Reich but only because Bismarck was definetely not interested in a War about a little island...*grin*
You had simply some luck...*grin*
R.I.P. Henry D.

In Remembrance of my Granduncle Hans Weber, a Hungaro-German Soldier,served in Austro-Hungarian Forces during WWI,war prisoner, missed in Sibiria 1918...

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:45 pm

Heh, not a bad idea Hohenlohe, except that Prussia had no blue-water navy to speak of in 1850 (other than its merchant marine), whereas the USN had a respectable blue-water capability in the Pacific, so they would've won any early "gunboat diplomacy" in that area. Historically the Samoan crisis didn't flare up until the late 1880s (as I'm sure you know), it just doesn't make any sense at the GC start...
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."ImageImage

NefariousKoel
Captain

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:57 am

John Sedgwick wrote:I believe double-clicking on the red crisis event in the message box should take you to the territory in question (in addition to opening the crisis window)... failing that you can find it in the colonial affairs map window by filtering to display your colonial interests.

Single-clicking red events takes you to the location, Double-clicking opens the window for it. :thumbsup:

NefariousKoel
Captain

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:59 am

Hohenlohe wrote:In my Ottomans game i got additionallly two events belonging to the US:
first: the US congress resisted to introduce new naval vessels...50 prestige loss to the USA

I think the congressional acquisition vote results are just being output to all other countries' event list. Spies! Spies everywhere!!

Hohenlohe

Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:31 am

John Sedgwick wrote:Heh, not a bad idea Hohenlohe, except that Prussia had no blue-water navy to speak of in 1850 (other than its merchant marine), whereas the USN had a respectable blue-water capability in the Pacific, so they would've won any early "gunboat diplomacy" in that area. Historically the Samoan crisis didn't flare up until the late 1880s (as I'm sure you know), it just doesn't make any sense at the GC start...

Hey John, thx for that, but although you are right that Prussia had only a few Warships at that time because of their land-combat-orientation they had related to the old Hansa tradition a decent merchant marine which influenced later on the German Colonial Politics against the interests of Bismarck as they would be no good counterpart to any naval-orientated nation in that time.

But even the USA got only a small but very professional navy similar to their professional army but it was a navy capable to perform small military actions against less civilized nations(Tripolis Action). Only during and shortly after the ACW the USA/Union was capable to perform greater military actions even against the British navy due to the fact that they got more ships available around 1865 as the British had.

But also true was the fact that the Samoa crisis had a more commercial background than we are today conscious. Samoa was in that time the world greatest producer of socalled "kopra" a basic product for soap production and parfume production thus that nation which controled that island group would get a world monopol and so it was the main reason for any intervention there.

Only as the german BASF was able to produce that basic elements in a synthetic way it was again a more german monopol. The main german merchant house and shipping company "Wörmann" from Hamburg was in that time responsible for the colonial development in that area. The same is true for any german engagement in Kamerun, Southwest Africa and especially for East Africa.

Nowadays no one here in Germany knows simply in anyway that Germany was the main concurrent for the British and the Italians in East Africa from around 1850 until around 1890 because some german merchant companies got big common land rights at the coast of modern Tanzania,Kenia and Somalia and even Eritrea. Around 1880 or later there was formed a treaty between Great Britain and Germany that leaded to British Domination in Kenia and Uganda and that stopped german influence in Somalia and Ethiopia. Therefore if there would have been a more French influence this conflict would have simply ended in a war like that of 1870/71 and with a german victory but as it was the British with her special insular situation it was not possible for the german without a decent navy to change anything to their behalf.

Bismarck knows the real situation in those times and as he regarded the Russians and the French as a greater threat to Germany than Britain he was definitely not interested to wage war with Britain because he saw Britain as a possible Ally. Thus Britain gained more out of nothing simply due to their gunboat diplomacy... The USA had simply learned from the British during the 19th century and did so especially since the WWI in Latin America and since the WWI worldwide especially after the fall of the Soviet Union.

But enough offtopic you are right the Samoa Crisis starts simply to early historically...

heartly greetings

Hohenlohe who knows sometimes too much...*suchheadaches**uff**grin*

P.S.:A egyptian muslim pasha aka general of german or austrian origin was responsible for the first great expedition in the South Sudan and Uganda area before the Mahdi Rebellion and only as the British and the French clashed at Fashoda it gave slightly a change in that greater area...
R.I.P. Henry D.

PhilThib

Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:22 pm

I have done some fix for next patch, by removing the current influences of both GER and USA in the Samoas early in 1850...players will get it later by themselves (or events), but not so soon...and therefore no more crisis here... :)

Hohenlohe

Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:47 pm

PhilThib wrote:I have done some fix for next patch, by removing the current influences of both GER and USA in the Samoas early in 1850...players will get it later by themselves (or events), but not so soon...and therefore no more crisis here... :)

It would be now very interesting which country would be the first to get some decent influence there... :thumbsup:

thx PhilThib...

Hohenlohe
R.I.P. Henry D.

von Sachsen
Captain

Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:50 pm

PhilThib wrote:I have done some fix for next patch, by removing the current influences of both GER and USA in the Samoas early in 1850...players will get it later by themselves (or events), but not so soon...and therefore no more crisis here... :)

Out of curiosity, anything being done about Tunisia?

TheDoctorKing

Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:24 am

Another thing you can do is choose passive strategies that will keep down the prestige stash, then even if you lose you still get a few dozen prestige and your opponent gets a few hundred. Or vice versa. Playing as the USA I always play it cool in these crises in the early going. Later on I might get more aggressive over Cuba or the Philippines but early on you have better things to do than fight the Prussians.
Stewart King

"There is no substitute for victory"

Depends on how you define victory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pocus

Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:09 pm

The minimum average CP needed for colonial crisis is now 15 in the patch, so this will also reduce initial frictions.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

razorbackjac
Captain

crisis....

Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:16 pm

NefariousKoel wrote:Single-clicking red events takes you to the location, Double-clicking opens the window for it. :thumbsup:

Found it the other day but for the life of me I can't find it now. Read the manual and found nothing or in the tutorial. How do you find the Crisis window other than clicking on the message? :confused: :bonk:

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:38 am

@Hohenlohe: neat, I didn't know that about copra and soap/perfume. I remember reading about the interest in coconut products, but I wasn't aware of that particular use for it. It's funny to think that nations almost went to war over things like coconut oil on remote islands, or that the colonization of West Africa, for example, was driven in large part by industrial demand for palm and peanut oil.

@Phils: good to hear about the fixes, that should help a lot.

@razorbackjac: I could be wrong, but I don't think you can access the crisis window unless you're currently involved in a crisis (in which case the red message will appear). Don't know of any other way to open it.

Amadeus
Corporal

Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:06 pm

How could I open the crisis window. Some players overread the message so it should be good to open the window in another way. Any shortkey?

willgamer
Lieutenant Colonel

Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:54 pm

Amadeus wrote:How could I open the crisis window. Some players overread the message so it should be good to open the window in another way. Any shortkey?

AFAIK, The crisis window is only accessable thru the red crisis messages.

Return to “Pride of Nations”