alexander seil

Revolutions?

Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:30 pm

Can the team give us some insight into how rebellions and such are handled? Revolutions are one of the obvious themes to focus to the game, but it's difficult to rationalize many of them in the confines of a high-level, abstract game.

For example, how does the Sepoy Mutiny happen in the game? Is it by event? Or is it a generic game mechanism?

What about the Paris Commune? Are they, in game terms, just a generic rebel unit sitting in Paris, or something more involved, and distinct from, say, a native uprising in the Sahara?

Can the player do anything about rebels except suppress them? Can rebel movements be controlled (Boxers, etc.)? And how much, if any of this, is done through events, rather than generic mechanisms?

Any and all answers are appreciated :thumbsup:

TheDoctorKing

Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:23 am

I have no special insight into your question, and share your interest. It would be interesting to be able to, as the player, incide a revolution in order to get a more functional government type. The Russian player might _want_ the Decemberists to succeed (I know, 20 years before the game start, but you get the point). Or, as you mentioned, the Boxers or the national reform movement in China that wanted to industrialize before the 1880 war with Japan (name slipping my mind right now) might prove to be an advantage for the player in the long run.
Stewart King

"There is no substitute for victory"

Depends on how you define victory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

marcusjm
Colonel

Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:03 am

It would be interesting to know if it could handle such intricate events like leaders switching sides due to revolutions. Like for instance CG Mannerheim did after the Bolshevik revolution.

Maybe this is too detailed information for this game?

Pocus

Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:49 am

Some large scale rebellions are handled by events, under some conditions, that I can not indicate because I'm not the one handling historical events. But you can also get minor to major rebellions from the code itself, based on the loyalty of your regions, who is populating them, and what is the relationship the population (the faction having control over them) with the occupying nation. To be more precise, there are no less than 4 types of revolts:
a) social uprising, if you are not satisfying enough your population (they can not buy food or luxuries in quantity, or militancy is too high). This can lead to strikes or even uprising.
b) Native revolts, in colonial regions, if you are too harsh in your colonialist approach. Some native are much stronger than others and are already made intro tribal nations before you arrive.
c) nationalist/irredentist revolts: a subjugated ethnic or nation want to liberate his soil.
d) partisans creations: the only one that can actually help you, if your country is being invaded. This is custom to each nation.

You can suppress revolts, but generally, if you don't operate at the root, they come back :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

alexander seil

Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:44 pm

Pocus wrote:Some large scale rebellions are handled by events, under some conditions, that I can not indicate because I'm not the one handling historical events. But you can also get minor to major rebellions from the code itself, based on the loyalty of your regions, who is populating them, and what is the relationship the population (the faction having control over them) with the occupying nation. To be more precise, there are no less than 4 types of revolts:
a) social uprising, if you are not satisfying enough your population (they can not buy food or luxuries in quantity, or militancy is too high). This can lead to strikes or even uprising.
b) Native revolts, in colonial regions, if you are too harsh in your colonialist approach. Some native are much stronger than others and are already made intro tribal nations before you arrive.
c) nationalist/irredentist revolts: a subjugated ethnic or nation want to liberate his soil.
d) partisans creations: the only one that can actually help you, if your country is being invaded. This is custom to each nation.

You can suppress revolts, but generally, if you don't operate at the root, they come back :)

Is there any further differentiation for social uprisings? I.e., is a right-wing revolt (Freikorps) different from Bavaria proclaiming a soviet republic, or is it all the same in the game?

Pocus

Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:17 am

Again, it depends. If the uprising has been generated by the system, then both would belong to the same generic REB faction. Now, if there is an event that is planned to create a communist revolt if contentment is too low, and then a right-wing revolt, then they would not belong to the same faction and can even be fighting each other. (I guess you take Freikorps just as a quick example, because you know that initially they were a counter-revolt tool and not a revolt ... although you must be referencing the Kapp Putsch)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

daemonofdecay
Conscript

Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:14 pm

Pocus wrote:Now, if there is an event that is planned to create a communist revolt if contentment is too low, and then a right-wing revolt, then they would not belong to the same faction and can even be fighting each other.

In some of the Event-driven rebellions/revolutions (or perhaps even in a major system created one) will the player have the choice to "switch sides", as it were? For instance could I then decide to change to fighting for the Communists/Republicans/Liberals/Monarchists/etc. to overthrow the current government?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pocus

Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:33 pm

No, you never switch side...

Return to “Pride of Nations”