Pocus

1914 screenshot, with plane and unit stats...

Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:18 am

As some of you know, we are currently doing the Air Warfare module (coding it). So I felt it was time for another screenshot, just to get you updated!

The interestings things to check on this screenshot, is that the elements now have several parameters (here a German Artillery), depending of the distance. In the table on the right, you have the icon of a guy looking through a spy glass, with numbers like 11, 8, 3, 0: this is the range in kilometers. For this given element, Long Range is 11 kms, Medium is 8 kms, short is 3 kms and close is 0 (same for everybody). Nearby you see the stats for this range: to hit chance, rate of fire, damages, etc.

As you will discover later, this is even more 'fun' when you are doing a naval battle (we just tested one in the 1905 Russia-Japanese scenario the week before) :)

Also, a note of interest, is the scale of the units, in the unit panel. Most of the big combat units in VGN are corps sized, but as you see you also get divisions in number, so you could do smaller scale operations. I know some of you would have wanted to have only divisions, but really this would not fit the scale of the game. VGN is not only about military matters, and even if we think you'll get quite a huge level of detail in military affairs (just check the screenshot, it is rather heavy in 'military things'), doing a game design around divisions would have been an error. That said, you'll have quite a load of fun waging wars. Full wars, limited wars, colonial wars :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Anguille

Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:29 am

J'adore! :coeurs:

Vous allez détruire mon mariage avec ce jeu :D

Lannes
Major

Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:40 am

:)

Joue avec ta femme en réseau ;)

Anguille

Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:06 pm

Lannes wrote: :)

Joue avec ta femme en réseau ;)

Ah...malheureusement elle déteste les jeux :blink:

Pocus

Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:33 pm

La mienne passe son temps sur un petit jeu de puzzle trouvé par hasard sur Internet. C'est bien la peine de développer des trucs pendant 4 ans tient! :)

Discussions in English welcome too :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Garuda
Private

Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:59 pm

The medal shown in the bottom left corner of every unit icon - does that represent an experienced unit?

It brings up questions:

How will experience be handled in VGN?

Can a brigade that is formed in 1830 still exist in 1930?

If brigades can exist for the whole game, does the amount of experience gained naturally deplete as new generations of recruits carry the name of the brigade forward throughout the period of the game?

Franciscus

Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:48 pm

I also have one question: When ? :D

Christophe.Barot

Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:54 pm

Pocus wrote:La mienne passe son temps sur un petit jeu de puzzle trouvé par hasard sur Internet. C'est bien la peine de développer des trucs pendant 4 ans tient! :)

Discussions in English welcome too :)

LOL oui mais même si tu es un bon mari, c'est pas pour ta femme que tu développes ;)

moi, grand siècle, elle y a jamais joué non plus ....

les femmes aiment rarement les wargames :(

la mienne c'est le démineur, si ca peut te consoler :neener:

Christophe.Barot

question

Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:03 am

what is rationale behind paying prestige points (here 3 for this gun) for building military units ?

I' m sure there is one ;)

Fastsnake
Major

Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:20 am

Straight up, the real is question is: when? :P

Pocus

Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:52 am

Garuda wrote:The medal shown in the bottom left corner of every unit icon - does that represent an experienced unit?

It brings up questions:

How will experience be handled in VGN?

Can a brigade that is formed in 1830 still exist in 1930?

If brigades can exist for the whole game, does the amount of experience gained naturally deplete as new generations of recruits carry the name of the brigade forward throughout the period of the game?

Experience in VGN will be handled similarly than in others games, i.e experienced units get bonuses in various areas. The bonuses they get will be a bit more differentiated depending of the unit though.

The brigade will undergo several technological changes, and each time it does that, some experience will be lost. This our way to represent that the men are also being rotated out and conscripts pour in. Basically, an experimented unit in 1850 not seeing any war will lose gradually his experience, as technology change. We will see if we top that with an extra decay, representing 'passing of time', in addition to losses because of new weapons and doctrines.

Pocus

Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:54 am

Christophe.Barot wrote:what is rationale behind paying prestige points (here 3 for this gun) for building military units ?

I' m sure there is one ;)

The Prestige you invest in the units will pay back over time, as big army = some free prestige every year...

And it was necessary to add a Prestige cost to units, so that if you lose them, you lose even more, and your enemy get some :)

Pocus

Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:56 am

As for the when. We are still several months away (at least 6 if not more). It take times to do things right...

Lannes
Major

Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:20 pm

Splendide carte, j'ai hâte d'en connaitre plus sur ce jeu.

Nevers je l'a trouve bien haute, ce serais pas Troyes plutôt ?

CarnageINC
Sergeant

Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:47 pm

Pocus, what are all the numbers on top left and the little color gauge for? Any chance of seeing more indepth aircraft info screenshots? Thanks for all the teasers :thumbsup:

Pocus

Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:40 am

Numbers to the left are: number of diplomats, national morale, prestige points. The Gauge is there to give your rank in Prestige compared to the others Majors.

As for screenshots of the air warfare, we are still not in the interface thing about it. Right now the air warfare is made of computations and electronic bits fighting each other, that's all :) Although we have already all final images for the planes in game, is it that you want to see, some planes graphics?

Garuda
Private

Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:52 am

Pocus wrote:..[snip]... is it that you want to see, some planes graphics?

Yes please.

Also, what will planes be most useful for? Their combat prowess is really not going to make any impression upon an infantry corps is it? Perhaps they're maybe more a reconaisance tool?

Generalisimo

Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:54 pm

Garuda wrote:Also, what will planes be most useful for? Their combat prowess is really not going to make any impression upon an infantry corps is it? Perhaps they're maybe more a reconaisance tool?

Their main role will be as support units... but you will be able to do some interesting things with them... can't say more about them right now... :siffle: :D
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

Crimguy
Lieutenant

Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:00 pm

I'm having a blast putting all of the french into google translate. I know it's missing something ;-D

ham
Private

Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:38 am

Will tank,submarine,poison gas, stormtrooper appear according to the technological improvement?

GoldSabre
Private

Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:51 am

Super!
My center is giving way, my right is in retreat; situation excellent. I shall attack. -Gen. Ferdinand Foch

Such bravado!

Fastsnake
Major

Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:39 pm

Google translation is a hell of a thing, indeed!
And we are all looking forward to play this "new" game.

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:23 am

Excellent. Adaptive Game Engine meets World War One. This looks so awesome that the only thing better would be playing it. Which leads me to my next question: demo? If the real game is coming out in at least 6 months, would 5-5.5 be about right for the demo?

brisd
Civilian

Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:55 am

Hello,

I discovered your games a few years ago, but didn't start playing until recently, currently trying out AACW and NCP (demo) too. I love them so far and this game looks great so far. I am a long-time wargamer (30+ years) and I love strategic games especially. Thanks for the updates and congratulations on some superb accomplishments already!

scott1964
Conscript

Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:25 am

Interesting :neener: :mdr: :p ompom: :happyrun: :feu:

Pocus

Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:18 am

Thanks you all for your praises!

We do demo after the release generally, because we really hate when some late bugs are still in demo while being fixed for release. And 6 months is the minimum to wait for VGN, although it can be much more, like 9 or even 12, sorry. The game is definitely huge, and the whole of it is more than then sum of its parts (meaning everything must also fit together, even if all parts are working independently).

Some graphics. For now we are at 61 custom graphics, just for planes (and several hundreds for all units types)... It bodes well for the level of details you should get, don't you think so? :)

French Voisin

Sopwith Camel under Italian colors

German Gotha IV

Adlertag

Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:10 am

Some facts about Gabriel and Charles Voisin and their planes (including seaplanes) :

http://www.automobiles-voisin.fr/avions.html

Charles was the first man in France to fly in 1907....on 60 m !
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

caranorn

Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:08 pm

Pocus wrote:Some graphics. For now we are at 61 custom graphics, just for planes (and several hundreds for all units types)... It bodes well for the level of details you should get, don't you think so? :)

French Voisin

Sopwith Camel under Italian colors

German Gotha IV

Lovely :D :D :D ...
Marc aka Caran...

scott1964
Conscript

Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:18 pm

caranorn wrote:Lovely :D :D :D ...

Nice I need to go get me one. :neener:

Chaplain Lovejoy
Brigadier General

Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:24 am

Christophe.Barot wrote:les femmes aiment rarement les wargames :(

My experience as well. Not that this is necessarily bad...!

Return to “Pride of Nations”