Cato Uticensis
Conscript

Economic Engine War/Government/Trade/Policies

Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:43 am

How much attention was put into economic aspect of the game? Will it it be moddable? For example will I be able to pick choose gold currency? 100% Reserved bank? Will I be able to inflate my currency to increase my unit output? The devastating effect inflation has during prolonged wars(morale+export/Attrition+tariff+import >=? hyperinflation etc)? The simple punishment of inflation? Will we be able to incorporate a system similiar to AGEOD's American Civil War? Will we be able to choose between a command economy and quickly raise regiments(faster conquest) or will we be able to sell weapons to the populace (free markets) and let them create regiments on their own(prolonged war)? How far did you guys go at simulating a none-command free markets?

There's no need for details, a simple answer of " Yes/No, we have/haven't thought it out" would be good enough. Also if you guys already have talked about these questions in development.

Rafiki

Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:39 am

Cato Uticensis wrote:How much attention was put into economic aspect of the game?

A lot. :D
Cato Uticensis wrote:Will it it be moddable?

Yes. It's too early to say to which degree, though.
Cato Uticensis wrote:There's no need for details, a simple answer of " Yes/No, we have/haven't thought it out" would be good enough.

The rest of your questions are quite detailed, and since the game is still in development, with details being hammered out and tweaked, we do not wish to detailed answers like this yet, since these things might very well change before release.

(Unless the devs consider these details to be finalized enough to start divulging, but I don't think we are at that point yet ;) )
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Pocus

Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:37 pm

The Monkey is a sage. I never doubted that. Almost.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Cato Uticensis
Conscript

Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:47 pm

Of course my questions were detailed , the details are for you guys to know which angle I'm coming from. What I meant was that you guys didn't have to answer in detail or any question at all. What I wanted to know in the end was if these features were thought about or mentioned (no need to tell us specific ones). If there was lot of thought put into the Economic aspect(which was answered).

I'll just be a little concerned if this was the first time these features were even mentioned. It means if I have lots of work ahead in modding :w00t: or maybe I'll start with the Civil War?

Edited

Sorry for being too straight forward and incoherent guys. Since life been a little too hectic these last few months, I have not had enough time to think through my typed sentences. :( Sowwy! Hope you guys forgive me.

Andrelvis
Conscript

Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:47 pm

I am curious about this too. Will the commodities be moddable? Will there be transformation of resource commodities into "goods" commodities?

Pocus

Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:20 am

The merchandises come in raw and manufactured subgroups yes. Many need the transformation of raw resources to be produced (steel being one of the prime example). There is no real limitation to modding on these aspects, if you want to create new kinds of factories and merchandises, and then develop an entire new branch of transformations, with attached game effects, the game should please you...

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Andrelvis
Conscript

Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:47 pm

Pocus wrote:The merchandises come in raw and manufactured subgroups yes. Many need the transformation of raw resources to be produced (steel being one of the prime example). There is no real limitation to modding on these aspects, if you want to create new kinds of factories and merchandises, and then develop an entire new branch of transformations, with attached game effects, the game should please you...

Sounds great, thanks :D

Prussian Prince
Captain

Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:41 pm

So lets continue this hypothesis...you need iron and coal to make steel? So controlling iron and coal rich colonies is a must for economic domination. This will probably work for other things then like beer, ie wheat and barley plus some other commodity equals beer. Am I on the right track or did I miss the train all together? ;)
Player of many Ageod Games : AACW, ROP, BOA2 and PON!

Beta Tester for EU2 and HOI3:thumbsup:

slimey.rock
Major

Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:33 pm

Well you're gonna need hops for beer as well ;)

Andrelvis
Conscript

Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:20 pm

Prussian Prince wrote:So lets continue this hypothesis...you need iron and coal to make steel? So controlling iron and coal rich colonies is a must for economic domination. This will probably work for other things then like beer, ie wheat and barley plus some other commodity equals beer. Am I on the right track or did I miss the train all together? ;)

Would be nice if transportation issues are represented in some form, as it should be easier to industrialize a region that has coal nearby than one which is devoid of coal.

Pocus

Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:06 pm

There is a total of 40 or so merchandises in the game (raw or manufactured), so we had to make choices (otherwise we would have something like 300 and the game would be too complex for most people), so beer is directly represented by its end product I think. Now if you want to mod this to give it more details, this would be feasible.

Transport network do play an important role like you guessed.

Andriko
Corporal

Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:55 pm

Prussian Prince wrote:So lets continue this hypothesis...you need iron and coal to make steel? So controlling iron and coal rich colonies is a must for economic domination. This will probably work for other things then like beer, ie wheat and barley plus some other commodity equals beer. Am I on the right track or did I miss the train all together? ;)

You shouldn't necessarily need the coal and iron - maybe your national industries can import it alot cheaper from somewhere else, therefore producing a declining coal and iron industry in your country but a boom steel one?

As far as historical precedents go, the British Shipping and steel industries c.1890-1914 are great examples. British steel was expensive, whilst Germany and the US were making it alot cheaper with the use of tariffs and subsidies, neither of which the UK govt. did. Obviously, British steel declined, but british ship manufacturing went through the roof and if i remember, the only thing that really kept british steel going was the Royal navies insitance on using national/ local steel during the naval race.

Return to “Pride of Nations”