jccoluz
Private

Military Rating

Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:20 pm

HI,

I'm playing Japan and the date is 1873. I already have quite a large land force for the time period : 5 armies ( each with 3 infantry corps, cavalry divisions, artillery brigades and support units) , 1 cavalry corp, 2 marines divisions, several small expeditions forces and some garrisons.

All in all, that's about 600 000 men not counting the 50000 samourais that I kept as a guard of honor.

I think it's a bit excessive but when I looked at the F10 screen I noticed that Prussia had a land force which is 450% more powerful than mine !!

This is huge even allowing for slightly better quality of the German units. Could Prussia really field over 2 000 000 men at that time period ?

Speaking about some freaking numbers : Since the beginning of the campaign, Austria lost just over 8 000 000 men and is still the second military power on land with 400% of my land power !!

Appart from that, I'm having a great time with Japan : After securing Sarawak and Johore, I'm priming the Imperial Army for an invasion of the Dutch East indies : It'll give some experience to my units before I turn my attention toward China ( Who is quite scary as well and gave a bloody nose to Russia a few years back ).

Bye,

JC

Durk

Re: Military Rating

Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:45 pm

You are doing well. I am not positive about this, but I think Fog of War is a factor in what you see; that is, you are not seeing Prussia's actual, but its actual give or take some random number up to 50% high or low.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:09 pm

Don't think that value is fogged up but it maybe.

worth remembering that before Japan modernises your army is rubbish by western standards. So Prussia will have far more combat power per man than you do. Their army may even be smaller but if they are using the second or third tier of techs for infantry and artillery that is a lot of notional CP - so yes its feasible as the 1870 ish rifle tech is very powerful.

remember that historically this brought in the chassepot and other rifles that served well up to the end of the century before becoming obsolete.

The main gain the post-1890 rifle tech brings is not such firepower as reduced frontage, so you can deploy more CP even in poor regions or a lot of firepower in clear terrain. It tends to see a dramatic shift in any colonial wars due to this

jccoluz
Private

Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:32 am

Hi,

thank you both for your replies.

Yes, I know that tech can make a big difference but here it's not the case : Japan has already modernized and my armies are all upgraded to the 1870/90 model. In fact, Japan is currently ranked number 4 in technology and ahead of the USA in that regard (Since Japan is quite rich and has not much to do before 1867, I heavily funded research for the first 15 years or so). I'm number 2 in economic rating (was the first country to build electrical parts factories by the way), number 2 in trade and equal in Land Military rating with France and the US according to the F10 screan.

It's just that Prussia has an astonishing powerful land Army which is 450% that of Japan, USA or France !!

Kaiser 's gone nut by the way since Prussia is declaring war to the whole planet every second turn !

Bye,

JC

Return to “Pride of Nations”