RobC04
Corporal

Some questions reguarding PoN vs Victoria 2

Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:11 pm

Hi,

My first question is, does the manual for PoN explain the systems clearly enough so you can understand the game just my reading the manual? My biggest problem with some of the Paradox titles is that reading the manual explains the UI, but doesn't really touch the mechanics enough. They rely on the forum to explain how the games work. For a quick question this works, but if you don't understand the game at a larger level you don't know what to ask.

For those of you who have played both games, which do you prefer and why?

I have been bouncing around between Vicky 2 and Crusader Kings 2 trying to figure out which game I want to commit to learning, but I thought I would through Pride of Nations into the mix.

Thank you

Because I play too much,
One Guy, Too Many Games ([url]http://oneguytoomanygames.blogspot.com/)[/URL]

jardail
Conscript

Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:36 pm

So far with the little that I've searched and read in the manual, I'm not impressed with the game mechanics explanations in it.

Been searching all morning in the manual on how to do something so simple as building a troop transport, and can find nothing on it in the book. So, I'm here to try and get an answer to that question.

Kensai

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:54 pm

This game is complex but rewards every second of it once you understand how things more or less work. I believe it's much more difficult than Victoria 2. If you desire extra challenge and a nice learning environment, feel free to join the MP we have. We are already 15 players. Pace is comfortable, one turn per day. Compatible with your SP campaign and RL as well. ;)

You will probably play a small non-scripted nation, however, ideal to learn the mechanics. Information in the PBEM section.
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

Czert
Sergeant

Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:02 pm

as in any otehr games - best understanding of game mechanick is actualy playing game and if someting just confuse you, just as this specifick problem on forum.

RobC04
Corporal

Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:37 pm

Thanks for the replies. I like to try and get a decent understanding of the mechanics before I jump in, so I guess I will try the tutorial and start looking at the manual. Maybe I'll start a learning game to just try stuff out as I read. What country would you recommend for just learning the mechanics. I'm not looking for a challenge in my first game, and it doesn't have to be the most fun country. Just something I can play around with to see how things work.

Thanks for the MP offer. So far I haven't really gotten involved in MP for any game, so for now I will decline, but I will keep your offer in mind. Thanks!

Pocus

Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:36 am

Are you reading the new, extended manual, done by volunteers (mainly by Sir Garnet), it is very detailed.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Hohenlohe

Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:46 pm

RobC04 wrote:Thanks for the replies. I like to try and get a decent understanding of the mechanics before I jump in, so I guess I will try the tutorial and start looking at the manual. Maybe I'll start a learning game to just try stuff out as I read. What country would you recommend for just learning the mechanics. I'm not looking for a challenge in my first game, and it doesn't have to be the most fun country. Just something I can play around with to see how things work.

Thanks for the MP offer. So far I haven't really gotten involved in MP for any game, so for now I will decline, but I will keep your offer in mind. Thanks!

To Try your first game learning the mechanics of the game you should play France,it is a lot easier than Great Britain and you have most colonial opportunities playing the great game it is...

greetings

Hohenlohe
R.I.P. Henry D.

In Remembrance of my Granduncle Hans Weber, a Hungaro-German Soldier,served in Austro-Hungarian Forces during WWI,war prisoner, missed in Sibiria 1918...

RobC04
Corporal

Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:41 pm

Pocus wrote:Are you reading the new, extended manual, done by volunteers (mainly by Sir Garnet), it is very detailed.

Yes, thank you. That is the one I have.

RobC04
Corporal

Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:59 pm

Hohenlohe wrote:To Try your first game learning the mechanics of the game you should play France,it is a lot easier than Great Britain and you have most colonial opportunities playing the great game it is...

greetings

Hohenlohe

Is there a smaller country to start off with where you still get to try out all of the mechanics? I don't care if I win the first game. My main concern is learning the mechanics and not getting overwhelmed. Usually in grand strategy games starting off as Great Britain or France can be a bit overwhelming.

Thanks

lodilefty

Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:35 pm

RobC04 wrote:Is there a smaller country to start off with where you still get to try out all of the mechanics? I don't care if I win the first game. My main concern is learning the mechanics and not getting overwhelmed. Usually in grand strategy games starting off as Great Britain or France can be a bit overwhelming.

Thanks

Belgium.
3 regions, some colonial opportunity in Africa. Economy and Population Happiness challenging enough. Full set of events, decisions, etc...

It's the country I learned with :D
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

RobC04
Corporal

Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:04 pm

lodilefty wrote:Belgium.
3 regions, some colonial opportunity in Africa. Economy and Population Happiness challenging enough. Full set of events, decisions, etc...

It's the country I learned with :D

Thanks!

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:45 pm

LL: I have PON on Steam. Is it updated? Is the manual updated? Thanks very much. Tagwyn

yellow ribbon

Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:26 pm

@ tagwyn:

steam is ALWAYS running with the latest OFFICIAL patch, thus 1.02

new manual can be found here:

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=23506
...not paid by AGEOD.
however, prone to throw them into disarray.

PS:

‘Everything is very simple in War, but the simplest thing is difficult. These difficulties accumulate and produce a friction which no man can imagine exactly who has not seen War . . . in War, through the influence of an infinity of petty circumstances, which cannot properly be described on paper, things disappoint us, and we fall short of the mark.‘

Clausewitz

Return to “Pride of Nations”