vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice

Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:02 am

SonOfAGhost wrote:What's yours is hers, what's hers is also hers.

My friend, you have a complete understanding of US divorce law as it is actually applied.

gekkoguy82
Major

Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:20 am

For my part I'm 28 and got engaged two nights ago. I feel like she knows what she's getting into as far as gaming goes. She's a gamer too, although she plays games like Tomb Raider. I can get her to play halo with me and some friends sometimes though and she enjoys it. Sadly I fear her eyes would glaze over rather quickly with games like PON and Civ though :neener: I'm really excited for the next step, and I'm doing my best to study up on this "marriage diplomacy" you all speak so fondly of, haha. :D

on another note, I hope that playing halo doesn't mean I can't play PON! I'm certainly not 18, haha.

Hohenlohe

Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:53 am

Most of the problems with women which were reported here remembers me somehow to the BORG-related Star Trek Movies.
I got somehow the feeling that some women behaves themselves like the BORG Queen. Therefore you should consider under some circumstances that if you get married that you are now a member of the HIVE...*grin*
Or somehow better explained..."WE ARE THE BORG! RESISTANCE IS USELESS/FUTILE! YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED! YOUR GENETIC CODE WILL BE INTEGRATED! SURRENDER NOW!!" :laugh: LOL, it is somehow sooo true...
And since some weeks as I am working as a cook in a social neighbourhood project I appeared on the radar of a younger woman(~38 years) and she tries to influence me...*grin* but she still knows that I am playing computer games and reacted very sceptical...*puuuh* that could be becoming very amazing because one of my best friends is now connected to a younger woman too and therefore I got some problems last days as we had tried to renovate my appartement together but he could not come...*sigh*

But nethertheless without the women we had not soo much fun playing out of the house...*grin*

heartly greetings and welcome to the WOMENS' HIVE called MARRIAGE...*biggrin* :mdr:

Hohenlohe... :wacko: :love:
R.I.P. Henry D.

In Remembrance of my Granduncle Hans Weber, a Hungaro-German Soldier,served in Austro-Hungarian Forces during WWI,war prisoner, missed in Sibiria 1918...

Nial
Colonel

Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:06 pm

Hohenlohe

I just noticed your sig. Nice! My Grandfather left US. in 1916 to join the Canadian army. Served in France, and was mustard gassed. He convalesed in England, met my Grandmother, and well, the rest is history. Without WWI I would not be here. I have his full uniform in excellent condition.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

montgomeryjlion
Captain

Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:53 pm

My Great Grandfather was from Breslau in Silesia, fought in the Prussian Army in all 3 wars (Danish, Austrian, French), then moved to Sudwest Africa in 1884 with his 2nd (much younger wife). The family then decided to move on to Rhodesia in 1896.
My Grandfather was born in Windhoek, Southwest Africa, emigrated with the family, volunteered at the end of the South African War, although he was only 17, then fought with the Royal Rhodesian Regiment in both the Southwest Africa and East Africa campaigns in the First World War.
My Father fought in the British Army in North Africa with the 1st South African Division, was captured, escaped, ended up fighting in Italy.
In 1999 when Robert Mugabe took our land, it was with a command to "go back to where you came from."

Hmm, the Poles don't want me, because Breslau is now Wroclaw.
The Germans don't want me because I don't speak a word of German (OK, a few words) and have no ancestral records.
The British don't want me.

So where should I go home to? :)

Fortunately, my wife is South African so that's where we live now.

We had a huge number of heirlooms from both my Great Grandfather (Including his Pickelhaube(sp?)), Grandfather and Father destroyed by fire when Mugabe's thugs burned our farm.
Tragedy...

Hohenlohe

Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:06 am

montgomeryjlion wrote:My Great Grandfather was from Breslau in Silesia, fought in the Prussian Army in all 3 wars (Danish, Austrian, French), then moved to Sudwest Africa in 1884 with his 2nd (much younger wife). The family then decided to move on to Rhodesia in 1896.
My Grandfather was born in Windhoek, Southwest Africa, emigrated with the family, volunteered at the end of the South African War, although he was only 17, then fought with the Royal Rhodesian Regiment in both the Southwest Africa and East Africa campaigns in the First World War.
My Father fought in the British Army in North Africa with the 1st South African Division, was captured, escaped, ended up fighting in Italy.
In 1999 when Robert Mugabe took our land, it was with a command to "go back to where you came from."

The Germans don't want me because I don't speak a word of German (OK, a few words) and have no ancestral records.

We had a huge number of heirlooms from both my Great Grandfather (Including his Pickelhaube(sp?)), Grandfather and Father destroyed by fire when Mugabe's thugs burned our farm.
Tragedy...

Dear montgomery, I hope that you get someday some kind of reparations for your losses. As I knew from an friend from another forum who has lived in Zambia for some years as a farmer and lost his farm due to some similar landrobbing I can understand your total frustration. Here in Europe we got not much information about such situations but as far as I know it seems somehow interesting that Ghaddafi got some african mercenaries from Zimbabwe if I got the right infos.

As I found some years ago the website of the german Allgemeine Zeitung from Namibia I have a little better info than usual especially about Namibia.
As someone who is interested in the old imperial german colonial politics I tried to inform me about Africa as often as possible.

Until last year I had a younger Togolese neighbour(trained as teacher there but getting here in Germany only a job as an assistent cook in a catering service company) in our house with whom I had some interesting talks about our former german colonial history and I was able to give him some useful advice as he tried to improve the situation in his small home village like buying some small solar paddles for some electric energy production for listening to radio or getting TV access and for buying some Singer-Sewing machines of Indian origin or some workers tools especially smithy and tinkerer and peasants tools and for improving eventually the housing situation with a better oven for creating a simple loam brick-oven or even building houses with self-burnt loambricks for walls and creating wooden roofs.
In the Eighties I was once a catholic boy scout leader(Rover and beyond) and was engaged in the socalled Christian Third-World-Movement from a christian viewpoint and learned much how someone could initiate a solid base for african peasants without using to expensive and high quality technology simply improving the agrarian situation first...

But enough offtopic, I know that sometimes too much goodwill will not get everytime the best for other people and as I know not much enough about the current southafrican situation especially for the White Africans( I hope you will not be bothered by this...) it is not necessary to try any discussion because most of us Europeans looking at Africa in a manner like looking thru pink glasses...

I think that this is something more for any other forums...

I wish you personally the best...

greetings

Hohenlohe

edit: If I was right then your grand grandfather was one of the first settlers which were living as Diamond Miners in the Lüderitz area in those years because at this time there it was possible to make some certain wealth with diamonds...
R.I.P. Henry D.

In Remembrance of my Granduncle Hans Weber, a Hungaro-German Soldier,served in Austro-Hungarian Forces during WWI,war prisoner, missed in Sibiria 1918...

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice

Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:51 am

montgomeryjlion wrote:My Great Grandfather was from Breslau in Silesia, fought in the Prussian Army in all 3 wars (Danish, Austrian, French), then moved to Sudwest Africa in 1884 with his 2nd (much younger wife). The family then decided to move on to Rhodesia in 1896.

Tragedy...

Your family has a brave and noble history. It is an atrocity that your farm and the heirlooms were burned by those murdering thugs. I hope things are good for you in your new home.

montgomeryjlion
Captain

Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:41 pm

Apologies
I wasn't trying to feel sorry for myself or have others feel sorry for me.
Next time I'll put more :) :) :) in.

Just trying to throw my ancestors in the discussion :)

It's kind of fun to have the German, British, French and Dutch (My mother is an Afrikaner and my wife is of French descent with her family coming to South Africa during the Napoleonic wars. (Yes, their timing was lousy. Gee, let's move to the new French colony of Kaapstad! Oops! :) )

Hohenloe, indeed my Great Grand Father was the port manager at Luderitz. He didn't actually dig, just managed.
(Old saying: Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, manage)

Hohenlohe

Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:38 am

montgomeryjlion wrote:Apologies
I wasn't trying to feel sorry for myself or have others feel sorry for me.
Next time I'll put more :) :) :) in.

Just trying to throw my ancestors in the discussion :)

It's kind of fun to have the German, British, French and Dutch (My mother is an Afrikaner and my wife is of French descent with her family coming to South Africa during the Napoleonic wars. (Yes, their timing was lousy. Gee, let's move to the new French colony of Kaapstad! Oops! :) )

Hohenloe, indeed my Great Grand Father was the port manager at Luderitz. He didn't actually dig, just managed.
(Old saying: Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, manage)

Hey, Montgomery, you must not feeling sorry for telling your personal story. Many of us have a story to tell and related to the ancestry many of us are somehow influenced by what their grand grand parents or grand parents did sofar...
For example my grandfather(my fathers' father) was crude robbed of his documents that would has shown he was a great landowner in a small town near Budapest. The robbery happened as he was away as war prisoner and it was done by his very own mother and his sister.
Thus he get no substitution after settling down in Germany like other landowning refugees in case of missing documents and he was nearly robbed again after his fathers death who was under control of his money-lingering wife and then my grandfather got only some hundred D-Marks and his sister all the rest...
And again after all the years my father the youngest of three brothers was phoned by a cousine(daughter of his aunt, the robber) and asked if he has gotten any reparations from the Hungarian Government some years ago and in this case there were millions of Euros paid because our family owned until the late thirties the half of the nowadays Budapest Airport area in shareholder values...but typically my grandfather had absolutely not a single paper in his hands but HIS sister and those children...Nice...
Thus I really understand what this means for the future of a whole family, but I personally decided that my life should not belonging totally to money because my friends and sisters are more important to me...

But enough offtopic from my side...

I like it to play good games especially with some good friends and mates...

greetings

Hohenlohe

edit: hey, Montgomery you can be proud of this ancestry and what they have done in their lifes...
R.I.P. Henry D.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:23 pm

My South African history/literature teacher (From British settlers origin) 15 years ago were telling me "poetry" must overcome "poverty" in S.Africa. South Africa should have very interesting history indeed, including some unfortunate ones for individuals and the society.

goodwood
Lieutenant

Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:39 am

I am a old dude with a considerably younger wife ( My superannuation fund :D )
she use to hate computers, until she discovered Face book. Now in her spare time she talks to all my relatives I never bothered with, It's a win win situation all way around, She on the other computer, keeping me in the loop with the Relo's. I play cgames in peace, she has a new hobby. She is happy I am happy kicking goals from all angles :D
Just a play of words from a old George Orwell line from Animal Farm, A union between man and wife in marriage in the eyes of the lord both are equal, however in the eyes of the woman they are just MORE equal than men
Happily Grumpy:siffle:

Hohenlohe

Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:48 am

goodwood wrote:I am a old dude with a considerably younger wife ( My superannuation fund :D )
she use to hate computers, until she discovered Face book. Now in her spare time she talks to all my relatives I never bothered with, It's a win win situation all way around, She on the other computer, keeping me in the loop with the Relo's. I play cgames in peace, she has a new hobby. She is happy I am happy kicking goals from all angles :D
Just a play of words from a old George Orwell line from Animal Farm, A union between man and wife in marriage in the eyes of the lord both are equal, however in the eyes of the woman they are just MORE equal than men

Thats soo true...Until some weeks ago I was really sure that it would never happen again to me that a woman would try to control me anyhow but since I was cooking for a social project I met the girl friend of my female collegue the first time and what happend she was able to somehow dazzling me and if I try to talk to some other people and she want to do the same she is able to prevent me from talking with some decent signals...*puuuh* although she is not the real beauty on a first glance with her Rubens body she is highly intelligent and intellectual and that is simply enough for me to be amazed...*grin* :mdr: :love:

my future problem would be her antipathy for PC games at all...*mmmhhh*

greetings from a new womans' victim... :wacko:

Hohenlohe, who feels some heartbeat... :coeurs:
R.I.P. Henry D.

Return to “Pride of Nations”