wolfe
Private

Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:57 pm

Couple of questions

Will the physical version that is now for pre-order on Amazon have a printed manual ?

If I do pre-order / buy the physical version is there any way I can get the bonus scenario ?

Fatboy
Sergeant

Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:12 am

Let us know when it is possible to pre order through the AGEOD site.
I would much prefer to purchase from AGEOD directly but if I am going to miss out on the free DLC ...

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:50 am

Let us know when it is possible to pre order through the AGEOD site.

+1
Although, assuming AGEOD does indeed receive more money from direct purchases, I will buy directly from them even if it doesn't include the free DLC. I can't see the DLC costing more than 3-5 dollars, and besides, I'm not especially interested in playing the Spanish American War. But it would be nice to have, if only for the principle of the thing.
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

Pocus

Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:00 am

We now have to make sure the e-vendor handling AGEOD sells provide a pre-order possibility. Stay tuned!

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Franciscus

Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:43 am

Well, I went ahead and pre-ordered it from Gamersgate.

I presumed that Ageod being now Paradox, it was pointless thinking that we support more the devs buying from this site than from GG (it might even be better to have more sales through GG, to increase visibility, IMHO).

Cordell
Sergeant

Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:12 am

I was a bit desapointed when i heard that PoN would work with DLC :confused:
I don't like the DLC in général and i rather prefer paying a game(especially Ageod's who are priceless) 10 or 20 euros more in the beginning and getting updates for free after, sometime i don't even buy a game that i like just because it ll works with DLC.
Its a custumer view, i know that the buisness goes that way with reasons especially for the devellopers but thats the way i feel...

But anyways i ll make a exception for PoN, i really love the way you design your games and after trying the Demo i am enthousiastic! So i ll pre order it anyway ;)

But i like to know if there is some chance that DLC could be download for free after sometime? (few mounth or a year or via a package or expansion)

Romtos
Private

Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:19 am

I don't mind DLC if they're mini-expansions. The rampant 'more skins' DLC for a myriad games is exactly the opposite. Scenario's provide actual re-playability of PoN, and I can therefore live with them. I just hope it won't cut into the potential for actual expansions/

ess1
Lieutenant Colonel

Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:31 am

wolfe wrote:Couple of questions

Will the physical version that is now for pre-order on Amazon have a printed manual ?

If I do pre-order / buy the physical version is there any way I can get the bonus scenario ?

I have pre-ordered from Amazon - £17 incl. VAT :p leure:.
Will inform Forum whether a printed manual included.

Lasse
Sergeant

Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:46 pm

wolfe wrote:

Can we please have a confirmation about this? PhilThib promised to ask the swedish masters a week and a half ago, but I haven't seen an official reply yet despite a lot of speculation on both paradox and ageods websites

edit: and perhaps temporarely sticky the answer - the discussion is going on in a couple of different threads. It's hard to follow them all.

marcusjm
Colonel

Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:55 pm

Ask yourself what is best. DLC that ensures more games like these are made or, endless crappy zombie/towerdefence games for the equally mindless hordes. For me the answer is simple. Nobody ever forces you to buy anything.

Take for instance Rail Sim 2. The market is small but hardcore. The only way to ensure new versions is continous sales. Yet some complain about expensive DLC. Does these people have no clue about salary costs?

Anything that ensures AGEOD survival is ok with me.

PhilThib

Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:33 pm

Anyway, we have decided that whoever buys the game from Ageod will be allowed to contact us here and receive the pre-order scenario in return :cool:

Lasse
Sergeant

Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:40 pm

again - what about us who has preordred from amazon? wanting a physical copy (sorry for being reptitive)

Respenus

Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:45 pm

PhilThib wrote:Anyway, we have decided that whoever buys the game from Ageod will be allowed to contact us here and receive the pre-order scenario in return :cool:

I knew you wouldn't let us down. :happyrun:

NefariousKoel
Captain

Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:55 pm

Grim.Reaper wrote:What I have seen happen when using GG, you first have to run their installer the very first time, but during that time it dumps things to a temp directory which has a normal setup.exe type file and such. You can then copy those contents elsewhere and if in the future you need to install, you just run those files. Pretty sure you don't have to be attached to the Internet after that. Personally, that is why I like using them versus something like Steam.

Sorry, this is incorrect.

While you can back up the install files, Gamersgate's installer exe requires you to log into your Gamersgate account via the internet to install.

Give it a try sometime, install from a backed up copy. It'll pop up a log-in dialog before allowing you to install. :(

While much better than Steam, which requires you to have it running every time you play. Not to mention requiring being logged in via internet and having to re-download the whole thing when you need to install. So, yeah, I prefer GG over them any day.

I'd definitely prefer buying direct from AGEOD but getting extra content may be a pain, so I'll just GG it and hope they don't go under, or get bought out and laid waste, anytime soon. It's ridiculous that DRM should have to be discussed, but the industry has forced such atrocities on us lately so what can ya do? :mad:

NefariousKoel
Captain

Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:57 pm

DLC/expansions:

Sure, it's a sound model, and doesn't bother me... Unless updates & fixes for your original program are held hostage within them. ;)

marcusjm
Colonel

Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:07 pm

That is a valid criticism though.

Still. We have to see the reality here, even continous support (like patching), requires someone on a payroll. Some of us work with development and can anybody say that hiring coders is cheap? I am sure nobody starts to work at companies like AGEOD/Paradox to rise in the corporate ladder but they got to eat too, we all know how expensive those beers, pizzas and jolt colas can be ;) .

richfed

Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:24 pm

I ordered the game from GamersGate yesterday. First time I had ever even been to that site. I hope I don't regret that move ... Reading some of these posts, I wonder! Perhaps I should have waited to buy it here as I usually do.
[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"][font="Book Antiqua"]"We've caught them napping!"[/font][/size][/color]

Franciscus

Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:29 pm

richfed wrote:I ordered the game from GamersGate yesterday. First time I had ever even been to that site. I hope I don't regret that move ... Reading some of these posts, I wonder! Perhaps I should have waited to buy it here as I usually do.

No need to worry, richfed. I use GG for a long time, zero problems :)

(and I repeat, IMHO it's probably much better for the Phils that PoN becomes a bestseller in Gamersgate - the webshop of Paradox - than not)

marcusjm
Colonel

Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:58 pm

richfed wrote:I ordered the game from GamersGate yesterday. First time I had ever even been to that site. I hope I don't regret that move ... Reading some of these posts, I wonder! Perhaps I should have waited to buy it here as I usually do.

Nothing is static in any market so of course they could change into something worse but so far, counting my last purchase last week, they have been great.

I know that cross-atlantic purchases was a problem before but I think they have solved many of the speed issues. Otherwise I am sure Impulse will have it too (but then you need their downloader).

What about Matrix Games? I thought they published most of AGEOD.s games.

Grim.Reaper
Conscript

Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:35 am

NefariousKoel wrote:Sorry, this is incorrect.

While you can back up the install files, Gamersgate's installer exe requires you to log into your Gamersgate account via the internet to install.

Give it a try sometime, install from a backed up copy. It'll pop up a log-in dialog before allowing you to install. :(

While much better than Steam, which requires you to have it running every time you play. Not to mention requiring being logged in via internet and having to re-download the whole thing when you need to install. So, yeah, I prefer GG over them any day.

I'd definitely prefer buying direct from AGEOD but getting extra content may be a pain, so I'll just GG it and hope they don't go under, or get bought out and laid waste, anytime soon. It's ridiculous that DRM should have to be discussed, but the industry has forced such atrocities on us lately so what can ya do? :mad:

Sorry that is incorrect. Every game I have purchased from Gamersgate including Rise of Prussia and War in America do not prompt me for any login or connection. Just tried reinstalling both of these with no issues whatsoever. During the first time you install a Gamersgate Game, it creates the typical setup files in the temp directory. During the first install after you download, the games setup program will run. While that screen is up, if you alt-tab out to the temp directory you'll see the files like setup.exe and such you would typically find on a CD. Just copy those to another directory and you never have to use the gamersgate install after that. Not sure what to tell you if not working for you.

NefariousKoel
Captain

Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:05 am

Grim.Reaper wrote:Sorry that is incorrect. Every game I have purchased from Gamersgate including Rise of Prussia and War in America do not prompt me for any login or connection. Just tried reinstalling both of these with no issues whatsoever. During the first time you install a Gamersgate Game, it creates the typical setup files in the temp directory. During the first install after you download, the games setup program will run. While that screen is up, if you alt-tab out to the temp directory you'll see the files like setup.exe and such you would typically find on a CD. Just copy those to another directory and you never have to use the gamersgate install after that. Not sure what to tell you if not working for you.

LOL. I see. So you circumvent it?

Works for me. :mdr:

It'd be a nightmare running the installers on all my GG games to make backups. Hopefully they don't disappear anytime soon. :(

Pocus

Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:23 am

Lasse wrote:again - what about us who has preordred from amazon? wanting a physical copy (sorry for being reptitive)

Contact us when the game is out then.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:52 am

NefariousKoel wrote:While you can back up the install files, Gamersgate's installer exe requires you to log into your Gamersgate account via the internet to install.

Ha! An expert. So, I'm right!

It's ridiculous that DRM should have to be discussed, but the industry has forced such atrocities on us lately so what can ya do? :mad:

You can buy not. I almost don't buy DRMs. What is not bought won't be sold... It could be the end of drm if we all wanted to.
DRM are useless and harm games (yes they do!): See The Witcher 2 on GOG...

OneArmedMexican
General

Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:01 pm

PhilThib wrote:Anyway, we have decided that whoever buys the game from Ageod will be allowed to contact us here and receive the pre-order scenario in return :cool:

I have written a rather critical post about AGEOD entering the ugly world of DLC and pre-order boni, some time ago.

I really have to apologize. AGEOD is still the same company. :coeurs:

It is incredible how much time the AGEOD team puts into explaing their game to us on these forums, listening to our suggestions and doing their best to make everybody happy. I truely appreciate it. :)

Lasse
Sergeant

Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:34 pm

Pocus wrote:Contact us when the game is out then.

thank you! :coeurs:

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:25 pm

My birthday present?? PON?

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:29 pm

GG thinks I am a agent of the world of piracy!! They will not let me order?? t

willgamer
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:23 am

tagwyn wrote:GG thinks I am a agent of the world of piracy!! They will not let me order?? t

Honestly, that's the funniest post I've read in months! :mdr: :mdr: :mdr:

Thanks for sharing!!! :wacko:

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:31 am

tagwyn wrote:GG thinks I am a agent of the world of piracy!

So, as I thought your pc should have been hacked. You may have to format your HDs and reinstall all. Disconnecting your pc from internet is safe when reinstalling. As soon as you can in the install', put a firewall and an antivirus.

willgamer
Lieutenant Colonel

Re-cap of ordering PoN through AGEOD

Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:18 pm

I'd rather order PoN through AGEOD and I'd rather not screw this up as I want to be playing on Tuesday. :coeurs:

AFAIK, I will be able be able to either preorder here, but that's not available yet, or be able to order here on Tuesday release day. :thumbsup:

In either case, I will be able to work with AGEOD to receive the bonus scenario. :thumbsup:

Does any AGEOD personage agree with this? :D

Return to “Pride of Nations”