skc
Conscript

WW1 & other Ageod games with 'counters' Similar to Avalon Hill?

Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:38 am

I as yet have not bought Ageod games as am trying to ascertain wether WW1 and/or any other of the games have the rectangular 'stacking counters' similar to those that were used by Avalon Hill and other tabletop boardgames? The information and map pictures so far have shown that the troops etc are represented by some sort of single icon and not the rectangular counters I am thinking about. Is there an option to change them in game to this type and what games if any have them and this facility? (Particularly interested in WW1)

Thanks in advance.

Panama Red
Lieutenant

Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:10 pm

Yes, WW1 has the ability to use any one of three different types of troop icons on the map.

The first is a 3D soldier icon that reflects the correct uniform for that country, the second is a soldier picture on a small plaque with the correct uniform and the third is the old traditional counter like you use with board games (I use this version).

skc
Conscript

Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:36 pm

Thanks Panama, that clears it up a bit. I shall finally decide after going through the manual tonight.

Durk

Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:04 am

As a long time player of Avalon Hill games I should add this; stacking is a wholly different concept in all Ageod games except WW1. Units form into Armies, Corps and Divisions. Only that organization shows. So you can have three corps, for example, in an area, composed of 30 sub-units, but these games are a totally different idea of how to show units. You will like it. Think of some of the later naval games when a dozen units were represented on map by one counter. That is a closer proximity to what you will see.
Try any game of an era you love (I am totally addicted to Wars in America) and see. The initial price is so modest you should just plunge in and see.

skc
Conscript

Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:00 pm

Durk, Thanks for the feedback. I am still slowly going through the manual but the more I see the more I like. With our dismal exchange rate (SAfrica) price is a bit of an issue but no way near to Gary's War in the East. (Can only drool over that one :)
I must say have only played one Avalon Hill tabletop game. (Desert Rats (or was it Afrika Korps) which we spread out on a long table and played over 2 days.
On PC I do have one of the few Avalon Hill PC games (they should have woken up to PC versions earlier, maybe they would not have folded!) "Stalingrad", which I can play with a Dos emulator. Other PC boardgames I have are HOI2 & 3, (I get the feeling WW1 is similar to HOI, but much more sophisticated?) "Empires in Arms", "Advanced 3rd Reich" ( still got to get into these - so many games so little time!) and last but not least the old Spectrum PC boardgames, "Desert Rats" "Arnhem" and "Vulcan" played on a Spectrum emulator. (Had such fun with these in the days of the old 48k Spectrum - poor graphics and etc but they gave such joy!) Also have Panzer Gbl & Open Gnl - Not strictly boardgames I guess.
Anyway will decide over weekend re: WW1. I take it I pay and then there is a download link? (hopefully it can resurrect broken download. I only have 5gb/month)
Any more advice will be appreciated.

Panama Red
Lieutenant

Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:06 pm

Durk

Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:48 am

Demo is not a bad option at all, but it does not have the Gold update and fixes. But it will give you a good sense of the game.

calvinus

Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:33 am

Durk wrote:Demo is not a bad option at all, but it does not have the Gold update and fixes. But it will give you a good sense of the game.

The latest patch is available also for the Demo version:
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?28476-New-official-patch-1-08Q
Visit my other games at : http://www.calvinusgames.com

skc
Conscript

Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:45 am

If I download the demo and decide to purchase, do I again need a massive download or is it just a patch up to Gold. (I in "darkest Africa...only 5gb cap/mth)

calvinus

Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:21 pm

skc wrote:If I download the demo and decide to purchase, do I again need a massive download or is it just a patch up to Gold. (I in "darkest Africa...only 5gb cap/mth)

You can download the patch 1.08Q for the non-demo version. Once installed, run the Configurator tool and type the serial key. Then you can run the game. :)
Visit my other games at : http://www.calvinusgames.com

skc
Conscript

Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:36 pm

Where about in WW1 does one change the Counters/Troop icons to what one wants. I have opened the game but cannot find any Settings/Preferences icon where one can change this. Or must it be changed in soem .ini file? Thanks in advance...

Panama Red wrote:Yes, WW1 has the ability to use any one of three different types of troop icons on the map.

The first is a 3D soldier icon that reflects the correct uniform for that country, the second is a soldier picture on a small plaque with the correct uniform and the third is the old traditional counter like you use with board games (I use this version).

Random
AGEod Veteran

Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:48 pm

skc wrote:Where about in WW1 does one change the Counters/Troop icons to what one wants. I have opened the game but cannot find any Settings/Preferences icon where one can change this. Or must it be changed in soem .ini file? Thanks in advance...

Press ESC to open the Options screen, or use the icon on the bottom right corner of the screen. Here you set up difficulty levels etc. Top left box contains the options for displaying units, 3D animated, 3D rectangular or Square (NATO symbols).

See page 196 of the Big Manual.

-C

skc
Conscript

Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:49 am

Found it many thanks. Looks a great game and history lesson in one. (Now to retire from my job in order to play it!)

Random
AGEod Veteran

Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:20 pm

You're welcome.

Hope that you enjoy the ride and like the game for its strengths (which are many) and forgive its flaws (you'll discover these soon enough).

There's always help standing by for you here.

Good Luck.

-C

Return to “Help improve WW1!”