FREDREX
Corporal

AI witdraw when has a victory in one flank

Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:41 am

I noticed this weird behaviour in my grand campaing and 1914 escenario, in a battle, when AI crush one of my flanks they automatically witdraw even in the firts turn whit great chances of defeat me in that battle.

FREDREX
Corporal

Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:24 am

Ok, happy new year to you troll friend,
Acording to google translate this is what he says in vietnamese

Happy New Year to both
Decades of success and happiness.
Do not forget to post quality articles on our forum.

At least he is a polite troll, anyways can you reply my tread of the bug?

calvinus

Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:26 pm

Hello, what is the AI aggressiveness level set in the Options window?
Visit my other games at : http://www.calvinusgames.com

FREDREX
Corporal

Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:11 pm

Hi calvinus, its 3

Random
AGEod Veteran

Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:42 pm

I usually play 3 or 4 to prevent the AI from dashing itself to death. You do not say what side you're playing but if you have a look at some of the files in the AI folder you will see that there is a considerable number of variables in how the AI manages commitment.

There are probably a number of reasons why you are seeing this and what follows is some educated guesses. As always, Calvinus' is the authority though.

- Leader obstination, if the value is very low it may have called off the attack as continuing might exceed the HQ obstination value. A timid Leader might save lives but also may miss opportunities by not pushing an attack;

- The target region may not be that important to the AI, each war plan has a list of objective areas that the AI will attempt to capture. If the region is not a priority the AI might not expend too many resources attacking it.

- One of the great aspects of WW1G is that the AI suffers Fog of War just like the player (although this is player configurable). The AI may break off the attack if it believes itself to be over matched. I believe that there is some randomization in the calculations but since you cannot see what the AI sees, it may have assessed your strength as greater than it is.

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory is a military reality and it happened with depressing regularity in the Great War. The opposite was very common too, where no amount of effort could ever achieve the General's objectives and so hundreds of thousands died without a hope of success. WW1G models this phenomenon quite well in my opinion and it's possible all you are seeing is the AI getting some poor dice rolls causing it to terminate attacks on the brink of success.

If this really bothers you, try turning off Fog of War for the AI and see if there's a difference in behavior.

Good Luck.

calvinus

Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:13 am

I usually play with AI aggressiveness set to level 4, but many players say it's better 3 because enough prudent to avoid some kamikaze attacks...

Random's post quoted 100%! :thumbsup:

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:49 pm

Have exact the same problem. It can easily be reproduced. When massed inf in one flank while the other one is without any units It is 100% victory in the next turn of the battle. The tool tip says "defeat suffered in this flank" while it was a victory. I didn't test in pbem so it can only be a problem playing against AI.

calvinus

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:15 am

Baris wrote:Have exact the same problem. It can easily be reproduced. When massed inf in one flank while the other one is without any units It is 100% victory in the next turn of the battle. The tool tip says "defeat suffered in this flank" while it was a victory. I didn't test in pbem so it can only be a problem playing against AI.

Do you have a savegame just before such a battle so I can debug AI?

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:08 pm

It is very common. Caporetto scenario is good test ground. In the last screenshot Austrian infantry retreated in the second round. But if Italian inf have deployed in both flanks Austrians would fight 2-3 more rounds. AI prematurally retreats when one flank is not used by human player in big battle.

calvinus

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:40 pm

Ok, I will do the same tests. What AI Aggressiveness level you set? What about the other AI settings? (So I use the same settings)... ;)

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:27 pm

Calvinus thanks. It is usual settings with 3 or either 4 level aggression. Wego turns with "retreat before battle" checked under normal difficulty. In Caporetto(Did I spell right? :D ) scenario it is easy to catch. I don't know if AI is restricted to commander's obstination rating about retreats but big healthy force in which can form double line can retreat in the second turn due to this bug(?)

calvinus

Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:51 pm

Baris, I've corrected/improved the AI behaviour as suggested! :thumbsup:
Thanks! :coeurs:

Return to “Help improve WW1!”