NY Rangers
Major

Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:41 am

Are we there yet? ;-)

calvinus

Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:08 pm

NY Rangers wrote:Are we there yet? ;-)

I'm working on the last scheduled fix (weird redeployments in enemy stacks), a bit though to reproduce...
As soon I close this task, the updated 1.08Q is ready. :love:
Visit my other games at : http://www.calvinusgames.com

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:32 pm

Calnivus, regarding redeployment. In post #21 Human player Austria-Hungaria were able to redeploy ;while isolated in theory ( Rumania were also at the edge of declaring war as far as I remember) back to southern Austria-Hungari. Should they able to do that? Unfortunately I don't have save file.

calvinus

Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:14 pm

Baris wrote:Calnivus, regarding redeployment. In post #21 Human player Austria-Hungaria were able to redeploy ;while isolated in theory ( Rumania were also at the edge of declaring war as far as I remember) back to southern Austria-Hungari. Should they able to do that? Unfortunately I don't have save file.

I saw your post and the attached screenshot. The status of those stacks was not isolated, because they were close to two friendly/controlled town areas. So they were still supplied and hence the redeployment was allowed. Not fair, but possible, yes...

I concur it should be better to check if the entire area is isolated, but the algorithm/procedure could be so complex to make the game performances drop considerably. For this reason the game counts only on the supply parameter: supplied, out of supply, isolated... In the end it works faster...

This said for human players, because -let's say- such algorithm/procedure is performed when clicking on the map. AI works differently, the procedure you're asking for is really performed by AI, and it (no more) performs such "tele-porting" redeployments.

The bug I'm investigating on is a bit different. Somebody reported (by PM, not publicly on the forum) that in some cases AI redeploys into enemy stacks.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:13 pm

Thank you for detailed answer. I now spotted those two towns that they need to be controlled fully.
And by the way is there a chance for "democracy under siege" to be port to pc ? You said already it is not planned but just to make sure. :)

calvinus

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:34 pm

Baris wrote:Thank you for detailed answer. I now spotted those two towns that they need to be controlled fully.
And by the way is there a chance for "democracy under siege" to be port to pc ? You said already it is not planned but just to make sure. :)

Eh eh... although off topic... Democracy under Siege could not fit very well into a PC game, in my opinion. It's a card-driven geopolitical game, like Twilight Struggle or Labyrinth... If you wish to discuss about it, contact me by PM.

calvinus

Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:56 pm

A new revision of Beta Patch 1.08Q is online, download links are unchanged. I updated the top post with the new features.

Random
AGEod Veteran

Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:46 pm

Thank You very much!

-C

Franciscus

Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:02 pm

Amazing to keep this Level of support for WW1

Tu sei grande, Calvinus ! :thumbsup:

poweraxe

Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:29 pm

Thanks Calvinus!

RGA
Lieutenant Colonel

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:04 pm

Thanks Calvinus :thumbsup:

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:38 pm

- "Added some outstanding rendering performace improvements in map window"
It is uber,super outstanding performance increase!! triple my previous frame rate, grazie !!! :thumbsup:

Also AI is now not retreating quickly from major battle, excellent. :D

It is maybe not a bug but a question: From my quick tests it seems in major battle in the second turn AI does not deploy second line flank when a player voluntarily does not use it. In the first turn of battle she deploys units to both flanks and get the advantage though. But when I look at the battle log for the first turn I can not read the advantage in either die roll modifier or in column value. What is exactly the advantage?

calvinus

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:18 am

Baris wrote:- "Added some outstanding rendering performace improvements in map window"
It is uber,super outstanding performance increase!! triple my previous frame rate, grazie !!! :thumbsup:

Also AI is now not retreating quickly from major battle, excellent. :D

Cool! :thumbsup:

Baris wrote:It is maybe not a bug but a question: From my quick tests it seems in major battle in the second turn AI does not deploy second line flank when a player voluntarily does not use it. In the first turn of battle she deploys units to both flanks and get the advantage though. But when I look at the battle log for the first turn I can not read the advantage in either die roll modifier or in column value. What is exactly the advantage?

Mmmhhh... no idea, sorry. I do not recall at all how that piece of rules work...
I don't know also if the battle log actually do any mention about that advantage. Do you mean the flank bonus after one battle side is won??? And if yes, was that battle flank won?

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:01 am

Yes advantage during flank bonus. There is an icon that appears when player does not use second line commitment box in major battle. it mentions "you suffer a lot of penalties" but I don't read those penalties in battle log.

And another question :wacko: : Generally in major battle when all units once deployed in one flank deployments box ,It is not possible to move to other flank deployment box after in the same battle. (I think also reserves can not move too) Plus when both line flank deployments box is full with units it is not possible to "engage" battle when commitment box is not occupied for both flanks.(greyed out). But after AI commits to battle from both flanks in the first round, in the second turn of battle she only use one flank to commit units. In this example player use only one flank in the battle. Maybe I should post screenshot. :bonk:

calvinus

Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:08 pm

Baris wrote:Yes advantage during flank bonus. There is an icon that appears when player does not use second line commitment box in major battle. it mentions "you suffer a lot of penalties" but I don't read those penalties in battle log.

And another question :wacko: : Generally in major battle when all units once deployed in one flank deployments box ,It is not possible to move to other flank deployment box after in the same battle. (I think also reserves can not move too) Plus when both line flank deployments box is full with units it is not possible to "engage" battle when commitment box is not occupied for both flanks.(greyed out). But after AI commits to battle from both flanks in the first round, in the second turn of battle she only use one flank to commit units. In this example player use only one flank in the battle. Maybe I should post screenshot. :bonk:

Yes, please post screenshots, I'm getting much confused! :blink:

Anyway, the rule is that, after the battle begins, you can deploy only one unit per combat round, provided the unit comes from rear lines or reserves, or is redeployed from the other flank.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:30 pm

I'm no good at this sorry if I mess up writing on pic. ;)

"No mention for extra damage":. Probably Philippe knows this as you mentioned.

"Should also attack in the second turn as already deployed": As far as I know once a unit in the deployment box ,it should attack(mandatory). If not "engage" button is grey . In this case AI does not attack in the second round of battle from that flank which has circle in pic. Should attack again because unit is unharmed.

NY Rangers
Major

Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:50 pm

Well, this latest patch makes the game crash after warplans. Never done it before.

Tamas

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:29 pm

NY Rangers wrote:Well, this latest patch makes the game crash after warplans. Never done it before.

Perhaps you had some extra or modified files or something?

Great work Calvinus by the way! :)

Random
AGEod Veteran

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:04 pm

There is a conflict between my GC Naval Mod and the latest version of Patch 1.08Q.

I will attempt to find the problem and if possible, post a fix.

-C

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:08 pm

NY Rangers wrote:Well, this latest patch makes the game crash after warplans. Never done it before.

As playing CP I had the same crash many times today after I donate money to Turkey. but tried again didn't crash. Can be related if British give battleships or not.

calvinus

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:12 pm

Baris wrote:I'm no good at this sorry if I mess up writing on pic. ;)

"No mention for extra damage":. Probably Philippe knows this as you mentioned.

"Should also attack in the second turn as already deployed": As far as I know once a unit in the deployment box ,it should attack(mandatory). If not "engage" button is grey . In this case AI does not attack in the second round of battle from that flank which has circle in pic. Should attack again because unit is unharmed.

No, after one flank is won, AI no more attacks on that flank. Same for you, after you win on one side, you are no more required to commit units on that flank, and you can move forces to the other side, one per round.

calvinus

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:15 pm

Baris wrote:As playing CP I had the same crash many times today after I donate money to Turkey. but tried again didn't crash. Can be related if British give battleships or not.

Are you all playing with that mod? I don't use the mod, no crashes (tested till mid-1915 before patch release).

NY Rangers
Major

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:24 pm

Tamas wrote:Perhaps you had some extra or modified files or something?

No, I didn't. Reinstalling it clean didn't help either.

calvinus

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:34 pm

NY Rangers wrote:No, I didn't. Reinstalling it clean didn't help either.

Do crashes happen regularly with any warplan? Have you tried with sounds disabled? Just guessing...

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:47 pm

Thank you Calvinus explanation for flank battle rule.

For crash, for my my part I only experienced only for donate money to Turkey in far way zoom. I did close up and exe didn't stop working and turn moved on. I did not try the historical war plan.

Nico165
Lieutenant

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:49 pm

Hello,

First, a word to thanks calvinus for the great support he gives to this game. The performance improvement is really great. Before this beta, I found myself sometimes no wanting "playing one more turn" because i didn't want one more turn of "the map scrolls too far - i didn't click the right stack - etc" that came with the lag. Now this problem is gone. Brilliant !

About the crashes - I use various mods (JMass graphical mods and Random's naval mod) and did various tests. Here's what I got :

WW1G + previous 1.08q + mods + current 1.08q -> crash at the start of every scenario
WW1G + current 1.08q -> no crash at all so far
WW1G + current 1.08q + mods -> crash after war plans selection, no other crash so far

I also tried WW1G + current 1.08q + mods without the warplanrules.csv from the naval mod, thinking it could be the most obvious file that could cause the crash. It didn't help, but hopefully Random is on it and knows better than me what causes the bug.

Other small quirks :

I still see the AI playing bad events card against itself (Entente AI playing strikes against France - but this was with mods, could this cause the problem ?)
Sometimes, the AI attacks a region, I see the soldier moving to the region, the battle screen opens but then no combat takes place, I can only click "next battle" and the game proceeds as if nothing happened. I dont remeber seeing this behaviour with previous patches.

Random
AGEod Veteran

Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:12 pm

There is some change in my GC Naval Mod that makes the new 1.08Q choke when cycling out of the War Plans phase of Turn 1. Whatever it is it is somewhere in the .csv files in the DB folder.

I have not found the root cause but now have a quick fix for those enabling the mods using JSGME that seems to work in either Grand Campaign from Entente or Central Powers sides. In the mean time I will continue to look for the offending file.

-C

calvinus

Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:57 am

Nico165 wrote:I still see the AI playing bad events card against itself (Entente AI playing strikes against France - but this was with mods, could this cause the problem ?)

Strikes events are mandatory, so AI must play them as soon those cards are drawn. Almost all events scripted in EV_PUBLIC.inc file are mandatory, while events scripted in EV_SECRET.inc file are non-mandatory. For them I've added the EAI_NotGoodFor tweaking info that informs AI accordingly. Stuff for modders...! :love:

Nico165 wrote:Sometimes, the AI attacks a region, I see the soldier moving to the region, the battle screen opens but then no combat takes place, I can only click "next battle" and the game proceeds as if nothing happened. I dont remeber seeing this behaviour with previous patches.

These are empty stacks, it's a "ghost" strategy employed by AI to slow down enemy advance and generate confusion... :wacko: Not so frequent as before, but still present.

calvinus

Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:57 am

Random wrote:There is some change in my GC Naval Mod that makes the new 1.08Q choke when cycling out of the War Plans phase of Turn 1. Whatever it is it is somewhere in the .csv files in the DB folder.

I have not found the root cause but now have a quick fix for those enabling the mods using JSGME that seems to work in either Grand Campaign from Entente or Central Powers sides. In the mean time I will continue to look for the offending file.

-C

I'll try to find some time to debug the game with your mod, so I'll catch very quickly the cause. ;)

Tamas

Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:53 am

Some events, like Strikes, are "public" you see who played them, but in fact it means who drew them. Public events automatically trigger, usually against a random country.

Return to “Help improve WW1!”