PhilThib

Public Beta Patch 1.08E

Thu May 27, 2010 9:47 am

Hello everybody,

here you can find an updated beta patch 1.08E.

All new texts of Tutorial #4 are present, so including German and Spanish translations.

This can be regarded as a candidate for official patch.

Here you can download the beta patch for the full version:
[removed for 1.08F]

And here for the demo version:
[removed for 1.08F]

Please report here if you find some glitches or major issues.

If everything goes well, this candidate can become the official patch in a couple of days.

Herewith I listed all news...

[Version 1.0.8a]
[Version 1.0.8b]
[Version 1.0.8c]
[Version 1.0.8d]
[Version 1.0.8e]

New features:
- Added Tutorial #4 for Trench Warfare (also explains some of the new features coming with Gold edition)

Improvements:
- Introduced a time-stamp based sort procedure in orders execution in order to guarantee a perfect synchronization in Multiplayer mode
- Military AI improved by adding a urgent escape for isolated/out-of-supply stacks
- Military AI improved to give more strategic importance to Grand Offensives targets when planning attacks
- Military AI can now ignore the rule concerning the placement of reinforcements in major cities if the difficulty level is set at 3+
- The rule for max sustainable attacks by Central Powers has been tweaked in order to allow attacks in excess in case of Grand Offensives or escape movements done by isolated or out-of-supply stacks
- Modifiers for new Combat Doctrine adoption tests have been slightly modded in order to give a bit more chances od success
- Added a rule that prevents the redeployment of HQs and GHQs to rest-of-the-world areas (i.e.: Africa)
- Added some correction in Spanish game texts
- Diplomacy can now be done on Serbia in the very first Diplomatic pre-phase
- Main Offensives against nations that surrendered during the offensive are now counted as successful
- Introduced a replica mechanism for Interceptions in Multiplayers matches (moddable in WW1.ini file, see parameter 'InterceptionTimeoutThreshold' expressed in milliseconds)
- Weird movement paths outside the boundaries of the map screen are no more displayed
(*) HQs destroyed for prolonged isolation may be now rebuilt
- Added message for automatic retreats towards nearest supply source in case of no additional losses (no disordered retreats)
- The binocular of battle screen is now better centered over the area where combat takes place
- Added new security checks in audio engine to avoid crashes
- Added new security checks in battle screen to avoid crashes

Scenario corrections:
- Tutorial #2: added a few corrections
(*) All campaign scenarios: added several tunings in turn rules

Fixed bugs:
- Diplomatic missions planned by the enemy cannot be anymore spotted in Diplomacy window
- Fixed a bug that removed Grand Offensives planning in case of 2 armies commitment
- Fixed a bug in savegame procedure concerning the automatic reinforcement of RP flow of minor nations
- Fixed a bug of recursivity in diplomatic level progression that caused a too easy diplomatic escaltion (i.e.: for USA, UK)
- Corrected a mistake in German game texts that caused a crash when entering the Technological Researchs window
- Fixed a bug in air battles that allowed to reuse air squadrons during the second combat round even if destroyed during the first one
- Introduced a security check in interceptions and next battle clicks for single player mode to avoid game freezes related to those events
- Fixed some mistakes in Leaders Misunderstanding rule
- Fixed a typo error in battle logs for surprise event
- Fixed a rare AI freeze on Military AI occurring only in case of total annihilation of land forces for never surrendering minor nations
- Fixed a regression bug in Grand Offensives' success/failure checks introduced by beta patch 1.08C
- Fixed a rare crash in "main front change negative NW effects" turn rule check

(*) : not working for older savegames

Best regards,
Calvinus & Philippe.
:coeurs:

RGA
Lieutenant Colonel

Thu May 27, 2010 10:02 am

Hi Phillipe,

The links are not working.

calvinus

Thu May 27, 2010 10:07 am

Links are now correct.

RGA
Lieutenant Colonel

Thu May 27, 2010 10:15 am

thanks

patrat
Captain

Thu May 27, 2010 5:49 pm

the game played great until i installed 1.08d and now 1.08e.

now im getting real problems. when im in a battle the enemy ai will often just stop doing anything. it wont commit troops or retreat. i cant press retreat or engage either. the game still lets me move the mouse and let me move units around, so its not totally frozen. but i cant get out of the battle screen without quitting the game by using the task manager.

im also getting crashes now, the old "ww1 has encountered a problem" kind.. i didnt have any crashes with 1.08c even though i was running it with all the bells and whistles turned on. with 1.08e ive turned almost everything off and its still messes up.

PhilThib

Thu May 27, 2010 5:59 pm

Calvinus is away today, but I suppose there might be some conflicts after patching back and forth...in addition, not sure the old saves will work :bonk:

What O/S do you have on your PC

May be I could recomend uninstalling the game, then installing the original 1.08, and then only patching with 1.08e :confused:

patrat
Captain

Thu May 27, 2010 6:02 pm

im running xp and im playing a fresh game, not a saved one.

Tamas

Thu May 27, 2010 6:10 pm

I am also crashing when attempting to load an old savedgame with 1.08E.

well, the disadvantage of beta patches :D

Tamas

Thu May 27, 2010 6:15 pm

Do you have AI logging turned on, patrat? Seems to be the difference for me with this patch, altohg not sure yet

Baffie
Conscript

Thu May 27, 2010 6:22 pm

I recently bought "Gold".

It was working great, no problems at all. Apart from being the most complex game I've ever seen LOL, until I patched with 108E.

Now, a few times the game just stalls for no reason. Also, a few times the F9 pause function is engaged by the computer and it won't 'unpause' no matter how many times I hit F9

I'll probably uninstall the whole thing and start again sans 108E

patrat
Captain

Thu May 27, 2010 6:34 pm

Tamas wrote:Do you have AI logging turned on, patrat? Seems to be the difference for me with this patch, altohg not sure yet

the ai logging is off. iirc this is recommended for older machines like mine.

patrat
Captain

Thu May 27, 2010 6:37 pm

Baffie wrote:I recently bought "Gold".

It was working great, no problems at all. Apart from being the most complex game I've ever seen LOL, until I patched with 108E.

Now, a few times the game just stalls for no reason. Also, a few times the F9 pause function is engaged by the computer and it won't 'unpause' no matter how many times I hit F9

I'll probably uninstall the whole thing and start again sans 108E

im getting the same thing. ive been able to unpause it by hitting and holding the pause key several times.

are you getting notices such as events etc popping up at weird times, like during battle or when movements are being executed? i suspect that the pauses are being caused by notices that arent displaying immediately for some reason. just a thought.

Tamas

Thu May 27, 2010 7:43 pm

If you get the pause because of a badly timed event popup, you need to hit pause several times, unfortunately. This happens if you have an event pop-up a moment before a battle. The battle window opens and the game shows to be paused. Hitting it once, the pause text disappears, but the game wont continue. You need to pause again, this time for real, then unpause, for real.

Something to be fixed by Calvinus later. :)

I have been playing the E patch for the last hour or so, no crashes so far.

patrat
Captain

Fri May 28, 2010 1:01 am

in the earlier versions of the game these "badly timed event popups", rarely if ever happened for me.

they are happening constantly now.

Dragoon!
Sergeant

Fri May 28, 2010 1:27 am

Still on 1.08D (haven't upgraded to E yet)

I just noticed that, in battles, if you multpile select in the reserve list, you can bring 2 new corps from reserve at the beginning of a round, instead of the 1 as stated in the manual. One for the bug list, there.

Fastsnake
Major

Fri May 28, 2010 4:26 am

Is there a new patch every five days or something?

Tamas

Fri May 28, 2010 7:25 am

Fastsnake wrote:Is there a new patch every five days or something?

These are beta patches, hence the frequency :)

calvinus

Fri May 28, 2010 8:52 am

Some events concerning battles are now notified by popup windows, with 1.08E.
This is why you have now more AI paused occurrings.

Should I make to roll back this change?

calvinus

Fri May 28, 2010 8:56 am

patrat wrote:now im getting real problems. when im in a battle the enemy ai will often just stop doing anything. it wont commit troops or retreat. i cant press retreat or engage either. the game still lets me move the mouse and let me move units around, so its not totally frozen. but i cant get out of the battle screen without quitting the game by using the task manager.

Are these caused by the AI paused?

patrat wrote:im also getting crashes now, the old "ww1 has encountered a problem" kind.. i didnt have any crashes with 1.08c even though i was running it with all the bells and whistles turned on. with 1.08e ive turned almost everything off and its still messes up.

In which moments of game exactly?

calvinus

Fri May 28, 2010 12:42 pm

Tamas wrote:I am also crashing when attempting to load an old savedgame with 1.08E.

To my knowledge, old savegames should not cause crashes.
Can you post here the save?

Also, I'm adding a fix for the AI paused at battle start for events popups. Now the AI is going to be automatically un-paused upon each battle "setup" (start).

patrat
Captain

Fri May 28, 2010 1:57 pm

calvinus wrote:Are these caused by the AI paused?

no they are not. the AI pauses from the event pop ups are just a minor inconvenience, probably caused by my computer being so old. i wouldn't go changing that.

the major problem is getting stuck at the battle screen. the latest one happened after i fought a battle and decided to retreat. after i hit the retreat button the units in the front lines disappeared as normal, but the go to next turn button never lit up so i was stuck at the battle screen. the mouse moved normally and all the other game functions responded just fine. i opened the task manager and i was at something like 2% cpu usage. i had to use the task manager to quit the game.

as far as the crashes go,,,,they seem to happen at different times. sometimes its when i or the AI is executing a move. sometimes its when the game phase changes.

AndrewKurtz

Fri May 28, 2010 2:02 pm

patrat wrote:no they are not. the AI pauses from the event pop ups are just a minor inconvenience, probably caused by my computer being so old. i wouldn't go changing that.

the major problem is getting stuck at the battle screen. the latest one happened after i fought a battle and decided to retreat. after i hit the retreat button the units in the front lines disappeared as normal, but the go to next turn button never lit up so i was stuck at the battle screen. the mouse moved normally and all the other game functions responded just fine. i opened the task manager and i was at something like 2% cpu usage. i had to use the task manager to quit the game.

as far as the crashes go,,,,they seem to happen at different times. sometimes its when i or the AI is executing a move. sometimes its when the game phase changes.

I just experienced the EXACT same thing. I retreated from a battle (it was actually a battle caused by counter attack) and the battle screen just sat there. I could move the mouse and see tooltips. I could expand/close the chat window. But I couldn't click on anything to get out of the battle window. I eventually had to kill it.

calvinus

Fri May 28, 2010 2:03 pm

And you never saw the End Battle summary window?
Was it a AI vs AI battle in 4-players mode?

calvinus

Fri May 28, 2010 2:08 pm

Mmmhhh... I have an idea. Maybe this battle freeze is caused by the fix I had to introduce for the copy-protection crash. Ok easy to fix. Tanks. :love:

patrat
Captain

Fri May 28, 2010 2:12 pm

2 player mode, me vs the ai and i never saw the battle summary window.

thanks calvinus for your quick response. i'd like you to know that your efforts are appreciated.

AndrewKurtz

Fri May 28, 2010 2:13 pm

calvinus wrote:And you never saw the End Battle summary window?
Was it a AI vs AI battle in 4-players mode?

Not AI v AI. I was in control and I clicked retreat. It was 2 player mode.

patrat
Captain

Fri May 28, 2010 2:15 pm

its a long holiday weekend here. i was really looking forward to playing a marathon session of ww1. i guess i better go back to an older version.

calvinus

Fri May 28, 2010 2:26 pm

patrat wrote:its a long holiday weekend here. i was really looking forward to playing a marathon session of ww1. i guess i better go back to an older version.

I'll try to build a new patch for tonight. It will be only the WW1.exe file, zipped, to be posted here for you volunteers of public beta testing.

patrat
Captain

Fri May 28, 2010 2:36 pm

WOW !!! that would be great. thanks a lot.

Panama Red
Lieutenant

Fri May 28, 2010 2:39 pm

Thank you. I too was hoping for a long weekend of WW1 (with most of the bugs fixed). :thumbsup:

Return to “Help improve WW1!”