felipye
Private

things id like to see patched

Tue May 25, 2010 10:03 am

Just to say I loved the game even in its former (a bit too crashy perhaps) state, but since the gold came out my social life suffers, my work suffers and my hobby poker game suffers. It is just so great and immersing and goosebumps inducing...

Here are some changes/patches and questions I would propose after playing several (almost) full games:

1) One thing I would like to see changed is the combat resolution screen centering exactly on the combat zone. Those binoculars should be showing the area in which the combat is taking place, but they don't do that every time.

When there are many battles happening in a turn, it would help tremendously to know which of them is important and requires defending to the last man and which are not so much and one way to be able to do that is by seeing where the battle takes place while it takes place. Otherwise it is almost mandatory to have paper and pencil next to you and make notes while preparing military turn, or memorizing the entire map.

2) Not sure if it is too big trouble to change, but i think if BREAKTHROUGH screen showed troops currently visible on its hexes (the same way they are shown on the real map), player would have less problem with breaking through into heavily defended areas blindly and ending up losing breakthrough units in a futile attack he would never have ordered. (you can see flags of control now, but you have to memorize the enemy troop positions before battles start and that is a bit too hard to do, at least for me) I think this is not realistic, as you have plenty of intel on the real map to prevent accidental wrong area breakthrough, but just not on the breakthrough screen itself.

3) question: if, for example, Entente draws an event that helps german research tremendously, what happens if she uses it? (I refer to the topic discussing AI playing events that benefit its enemies) Should we just ignore the part saying "german" specifically, or should we discard it?

4) on the same topic (is it better to hold on to events that could help our enemies so that they can not draw them, or is it all the same (e.g. not usable discard pile)

5) not 100% sure about all of those these, but i think they are spelled wrongly:

POZAVERAC should be POZAREVAC (know that one, i live "close" by)
KAPOANIC should be KOPAONIK (possibly KOPAONIC) - not sure what the austrian name was, but first letters are switched surely
SANKAMISH - should be SARIKAMISH (based on wikipedia at least)

How can we change the names in the "MapAreas" excel sheet if we want to mod them? (its a read only file)

6) Why are nations failing to implement new doctrines so often (it seems it can easily happen that in many games combat gas or flash bombardments arent implemented for the first two full years or more. is that test so hard to pass, or am I not doing something right?

Tamas

Tue May 25, 2010 10:08 am

regarding point 6, we also found the original boardgame rules to be too harsh, and has eased on them in the public beta patch.

calvinus

Tue May 25, 2010 10:12 am

felipye wrote:Just to say I loved the game even in its former (a bit too crashy perhaps) state, but since the gold came out my social life suffers, my work suffers and my hobby poker game suffers. It is just so great and immersing and goosebumps inducing...

This is the best short game review I've ever read on WW1! :D

felipye wrote:1) One thing I would like to see changed is the combat resolution screen centering exactly on the combat zone. Those binoculars should be showing the area in which the combat is taking place, but they don't do that every time.

When there are many battles happening in a turn, it would help tremendously to know which of them is important and requires defending to the last man and which are not so much and one way to be able to do that is by seeing where the battle takes place while it takes place. Otherwise it is almost mandatory to have paper and pencil next to you and make notes while preparing military turn, or memorizing the entire map.

Ok I will do as soon as possible, very easy to do! :cool:

felipye wrote:2) Not sure if it is too big trouble to change, but i think if BREAKTHROUGH screen showed troops currently visible on its hexes (the same way they are shown on the real map), player would have less problem with breaking through into heavily defended areas blindly and ending up losing breakthrough units in a futile attack he would never have ordered. (you can see flags of control now, but you have to memorize the enemy troop positions before battles start and that is a bit too hard to do, at least for me) I think this is not realistic, as you have plenty of intel on the real map to prevent accidental wrong area breakthrough, but just not on the breakthrough screen itself.

This point is a bit more complex, sorry...

felipye wrote:3) question: if, for example, Entente draws an event that helps german research tremendously, what happens if she uses it? (I refer to the topic discussing AI playing events that benefit its enemies) Should we just ignore the part saying "german" specifically, or should we discard it?

4) on the same topic (is it better to hold on to events that could help our enemies so that they can not draw them, or is it all the same (e.g. not usable discard pile)

There's another thread where players are discussing about: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=17654

felipye wrote:5) not 100% sure about all of those these, but i think they are spelled wrongly:

POZAVERAC should be POZAREVAC (know that one, i live "close" by)
KAPOANIC should be KOPAONIK (possibly KOPAONIC) - not sure what the austrian name was, but first letters are switched surely
SANKAMISH - should be SARIKAMISH (based on wikipedia at least)

How can we change the names in the "MapAreas" excel sheet if we want to mod them? (its a read only file)

Yes, MapAreas.xls DBs, to be transformed into CSV files and copied into the proper folder(s).

felipye wrote:6) Why are nations failing to implement new doctrines so often (it seems it can easily happen that in many games combat gas or flash bombardments arent implemented for the first two full years or more. is that test so hard to pass, or am I not doing something right?

Current beta patch 1.08C (but also the incoming official 1.08D) already contains an improvement for this point: the more tests you perform, the more chances of success you cumulate. ;)

NefariousKoel
Captain

Wed May 26, 2010 8:44 am

Getting the "Big Picture" for each battle would definitely help.

Is there a way we could get the battle screen to minimize and back so we could look at the map before deciding to fight the battle out? I'm currently using the Breakthrough/counter-attack screen to try & see the area near it - and try to remember what forces I have nearby, too. :wacko:

calvinus

Wed May 26, 2010 10:16 am

I remember there was a graphical mod where all battle screens were transparent.

Fastsnake
Major

Wed May 26, 2010 11:48 am

NefariousKoel wrote:I'm currently using the Breakthrough/counter-attack screen to try & see the area near it - and try to remember what forces I have nearby, too. :wacko:

But the point is that we don't see alies and ennemies force on the retreat/counter attack screen. At least, not me :wacko:

calvinus

Wed May 26, 2010 1:17 pm

This could be a nice new feature.

NefariousKoel
Captain

Wed May 26, 2010 7:22 pm

Fastsnake wrote:But the point is that we don't see alies and ennemies force on the retreat/counter attack screen. At least, not me :wacko:

Exactly. My memory can be good but not that good. :D

Mowers
Captain

Thu May 27, 2010 11:38 am

NefariousKoel wrote:Getting the "Big Picture" for each battle would definitely help.

Is there a way we could get the battle screen to minimize and back so we could look at the map before deciding to fight the battle out? I'm currently using the Breakthrough/counter-attack screen to try & see the area near it - and try to remember what forces I have nearby, too. :wacko:

THIS please :)

I rarely have a clue what battle is being fought.

Return to “Help improve WW1!”