wodin
Sergeant

Is there any chance?

Sun May 16, 2010 9:54 pm

I'm a stickler for seeing exactly how many men are in my Army and how mnay casualties I have taken or given.

I understand it would be impossible to do this to the level of the other Ageod titles as there a totally different engine (which is a shame as I think that a hybrid between this game and the ageod engine would be superb).

However I'm sure it would be possible to give the losses as men in the box at the top...some sort of mathematical programme to work out how many men roughly killed in a wounded corps...or in a shaken....out of combat etc etc.

For me the immersion level would increase tenfold...I know its chrome but I would really get the feeling of the massive cost the war took on men....I just dont get the feeling of massive losses and huge battles going on with the game at the moment....this would really help with that.

Tamas

Sun May 16, 2010 10:08 pm

well, this is a boardgame conversion, and the replacement point system is integral to the game, so I am pretty sure it wont happen.

And what is the point? In the AGEOD engine games, you are talking about battles with a few thousand losses per side in case its a big battle. In the Great War, that was the number of a "weak" day, and we have monthly turns.

I think my stomach would turn if I would have a counter rolling into the hundred thousands in no time. :(

wodin
Sergeant

Sun May 16, 2010 10:45 pm

I knew really that it wouldn't be implimented. Guns of August does this however....but this game is far more appealing to me than that one.

As for your stomach turning then yes it should do. A WW1 game for me should show the enormity of that war. Its when I see losses of 2 that seems to diminsh exactly what is going on and how much sacrifice is taking place.

I understand its a boardgame conversion but there is no harm it using the computer to do things that a boardgame couldn't....as far as Im aware you couldn't play the boardgame WEGO.

You could still have the losees as 2 but in brackets the actuall losses in men could be next to it...chrome like I said....but would add immersion in buckets for me.

Franciscus

Sun May 16, 2010 11:01 pm

I agree completely with you, Wodin. Flavor and "chrome" are essential parts - like for instance the care that was taken with flags and uniforms - totaly useless to the game mechanics, but essential to the immersion. Although the issues were different, in the first versions of AACW the units were only represented as hit points IIRC, but the conversion was made later. If some thing was done, at least divisions, or tank brigades, shown as involved in battles, it would be great - for instance in the battle logs...
Regards

Tamas

Mon May 17, 2010 8:00 am

Well I think its a level of abstraction one can cope with fairly easily.

For example when you have the French and Germans meet each other accross the border due to the Kronprinz plan, and you see manpower reserves of each country deplete almost completely by October, you can anticipate that.

Return to “Help improve WW1!”