patrat
Captain

some comments

Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:11 am

first off i wish to say the game has been much improved since i last played it. im now playing version 1.06h and im really enjoying it. however i do have a couple of suggestions to, imho improve it.

is there any chance of being able to play both sides on the same computer? even though the AI is much improved, it still does some really stupid things and i would rather play against myself than against the AI.

my second suggestion is one i've made before, so forgive me for bringing up again. the supply rules as they are now allow some really weird things to happen. the main problem is units being able to trace supply from any 2 minor towns. this allows large armies to survive encirclements by just tracing supply to any 2 minor towns. now i realize that to trace supply to a major home city would use alot of computing power, but i was wondering that since the game has been improved to such a point that it runs well on my very old box, if it would now be possiable to make the supply rules more realistic without bogging the game down to much?

hell,,, i'd even be willing to finally spring for a new computer if the new supply rules are to much for my old one. :D

calvinus

Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:51 am

patrat wrote:...is there any chance of being able to play both sides on the same computer? even though the AI is much improved, it still does some really stupid things and i would rather play against myself than against the AI.

Sorry, not possible. Even if adding such feature (allowed in strict-turn mode only, of course), the core game engine has to be entirely refactored... :(

patrat wrote:my second suggestion is one i've made before, so forgive me for bringing up again. the supply rules as they are now allow some really weird things to happen. the main problem is units being able to trace supply from any 2 minor towns. this allows large armies to survive encirclements by just tracing supply to any 2 minor towns. now i realize that to trace supply to a major home city would use alot of computing power, but i was wondering that since the game has been improved to such a point that it runs well on my very old box, if it would now be possiable to make the supply rules more realistic without bogging the game down to much?

I know the problem. Unfortunately again, the increment of CPU usage in such a computation you describe would be geometrical, not arithmetic. The game runs smooth now because I simplified a lot of redundat or too complex calculations. Anyway, being such weird supply conditions almost rare (two connected minor towns, but encircled), I can study a solution for this particular occurrence, rather than introducing generic recursive checks that can make the game unplayable... ;)

Thanks,
Calvinus.

patrat
Captain

Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:15 pm

as far as the AI goes, it is much improved. but imho there still are some problems with it.

in my present game, Russia for some reason had about a dozen detachments in Riga. each detachment was a single weak corp. now i can understand the AI wanting to defend Riga, but it just asking to get surrounded. besides its also violating stacking rules isn't it? a few turns later the AI thinned out the Riga stack slightly (i think its down to 8 corps), but now its building nearly a dozen corp stack in Kiev.

oddly enough in every campaign game I've played as CP using the "schifflen" plan, i always can take Paris before December 1914 because the french don't garrison it enough. it pretty annoying because then the game ends, even if the french strategic situation wasn't bad. they only lose because i can risk an army getting surrounded because i know they'll surrender if I'm successful.

while I'm on the subject of AI, i should mention that if i play allied in 1914 campaign, the AI never pushes the Germans into Belgium even when they are using the "schifflen" plan. they pretty much stop at the border, even if i have aggressiveness maxed out.

another small thing I've noticed is the AI tends to use the GHQ like a regular HQ. in the defense this could be understandable, but in the attack it just seems wrong.

as far as supply goes, maybe I'm playing wrong because i always seem to have enemy units running around deep in my rear areas, drawing supply off minor towns. i guess that I'll just have to more closely encircle them rather than just cutting off their rail lines.

speaking of rail lines, I've caught myself ignoring repairing them when advancing rapidly. i can do this because my units almost never get out of supply because I'm capturing towns along the way.

anyway, I'm still enjoying the game. if the AI can be improved a little I'm sure i can learn to live with the supply rules.

thanks for all your hard work.

PeterPefHarcrealia
Civilian

some comments

Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:16 am

The more beautiful, the more paranoid

Return to “Help improve WW1!”