Bismarck
Private

Some fruther issues in 1.06E

Sat May 30, 2009 3:45 pm

Some issues to report (all in turn-by-turn mode as CP against AI):

1. As noted earlier, sometimes combat doesn't occur when a force enters an region with another force (e.g., GE 1st XXXX enters Mons to battle BEF; no battle takes place). This most often occurs when a naval move is also plotted.

2. Activations are not front-by-front. AI will move all Entente forces; then CP moves all entente forces. Moreover, Reaction moves never take place.

3. Computer is not enforcing limits on refilling units by army.

TheDeadeye
Colonel

Sat May 30, 2009 11:38 pm

I have to add something about 2) and this is playing the game strictly turn by turn and army by army mode.

Reaction is almost impossible to do for the simple reason that unless you can quickly click on an army and attempt the reaction between enemy turns, there is no chance to click on it because the screen follows the AI movements (havent tried to deslect the follow AI movement, maybe that'll help).

Also creating detachments, sometimes the detachments are just becoming independent units, this is quite annoying if you want to create a detachment from an army to get all the benefits.

Also about 1) I agree, sometimes battle doesnt start but two stacks coexist in a single province...and they are from the two opposing sides. Somtimes it is just artillery that is alone in a province and that wont initiate combat but there was one instance where I was basically sitting on the same province with another enemy without him nor me able to combat.

[color="Red"]Note regarding reaction in army by army mode: I have noticed by playing a few of the standalone scenarios that the player is given the option to choose whether he wants to attempt a reaction with an army (successful or not) at the end of the current military phase if the subsequent military phase is on the enemy's initiative. I haven't noticed this in the grand campaign and would need to test that.[/color]

[color="Navy"]The rules say that you can attempt a reaction test between army non coordinated attempts of the enemy or after the 1st and before the last army activiation of the enemy. As it currently stands, this is impossible. It would be best to allow the player who has NOT the initiative to select which army he intends to react. Problem is, it will always be in the first few activiations since there's no other way for him to react since the screen is constantly moving. I did the test on the 1916 scenario and I did not have the initiative in the first military phase and tried to select a react army before I gave the AI the go ahead to move his armies but could not do so. [/color]

Bismarck
Private

Sun May 31, 2009 8:37 pm

Thanks Deadeye. Perhaps these issues can be addressed, as they detract from what otherwise is a gem of a game.

TheDeadeye
Colonel

Sun May 31, 2009 9:31 pm

Bismarck wrote:Thanks Deadeye. Perhaps these issues can be addressed, as they detract from what otherwise is a gem of a game.

:D Hey don't mention it Bismarck. This is the only way to improve the game by spotting issues and trust me when I say that these issues will be addressed by Calvinus at some point.

TheDeadeye
Colonel

Sun May 31, 2009 10:52 pm

I also noticed that counter-attacks do not seem to work in the army-by-army activiation mode.

Once the attacker has been defeated I click on the counter attack button and plan one...however nothing happens.

I suggest when clicking on that button that the computer automatically chooses the hex from which the attack came from....like in the original boardgame rules...and if the attacks came from two hexes then ONLY ask which hex to attack and only then.

Counter attacks are vital...since the attacker doesn't benefit from terrain and has to use his already damaged units to defend himself so it is possible to destroy them in the counter attack.

[color="Red"]Okay just tested some more on the counter attack mechanics and it seems like that when selected in army by army activation the computer automatically selected the hex that the attack came from DESPITE me selecting a completely different hex in the selection window via the combat screen. I like this and it holds true to the rules. However, it may have been pure coincidence so I will keep on testing this.[/color]

TheDeadeye
Colonel

Sun May 31, 2009 10:58 pm

Another suggestion...is to please add a hotkey that lets us cycle through the independent units after we have all activated and moved the armies. GHQs and other independent stacks are too easily overlooked and can be vital for the operations on the map.

so pretty please...add a hotkey like you have for cycling through the independent units.

TheDeadeye
Colonel

Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:56 am

Another issue is with the Grand Offensive.

During the lull the players ought to be able to sacrifice units on the map (flip them over) in order to refill damaged units in the 4 first rounds of a Grand Offensive.

The AI can do that HOWEVER the player conducting the offensive cannot since he cannot select which forces he wants to sacrifice in order to bring some hard hitting corps in the offensive back to full strength.

This is can be considered unfair.

Again this is in strict by rules, army by army activation.

Bismarck
Private

Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:18 pm

More issues that really are making the game unplayable in Army-by-Army mode:

1. Related to the "combat doesn't happen" bug: French GHQ and GE III both are in Sedan. No German units can cause combat to be initiated. French GHQ sits in Sedan and blocks supply.

2. British defeated at Mons, but retreat *through* hex from which GEI attacked and end up behind German lines, blocking supply.

TheDeadeye
Colonel

Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:01 pm

Bismarck wrote:More issues that really are making the game unplayable in Army-by-Army mode:

1. Related to the "combat doesn't happen" bug: French GHQ and GE III both are in Sedan. No German units can cause combat to be initiated. French GHQ sits in Sedan and blocks supply.

2. British defeated at Mons, but retreat *through* hex from which GEI attacked and end up behind German lines, blocking supply.

Hmm indeed. To your 1) the GHQ ought to deploy all its reserve forces to initiative combat or retreat as per rules. Does this happen in WEGO mode too?

2) Did the British manage to slip past the GEI and GEII to end up behind your lines so that you had to chase them? Or are you saying that you defeated the British at Mons and they retreated behind your linesas in instead of going deeper into France they retreated into Belgium? As per rules the retreat has to be towards a supply source...in other words city or town. Unless you didnt capture all Belgian towns and cities with your armies, the AI retreated from Mons to whatever Belgian city lay closest and will sit there.

Also, don't forget that during the movement doctrine the armies may retreat two or more hexes if they want to reduce the loss by one after a defeat.

TheDeadeye
Colonel

Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:54 pm

Another issue that I detected in the early years of the war in Movement Doctrine. This is now in WEGO mode but I assume this doesn't seem to work either in Army by Army mode.

The rules state that if a hex is under attack the defender may declare that he wants to reinforce the attacked stack with any adjacent units in adjacent hexes. This is only possible in movement doctrine.

In addtion, the rules state that if the reinforcement is a detachment from the army under attack, then the reinforcement is automatic (no test) otherwise there is a test to determine reinforcement success. Also you need to leave at least ONE corps behind in the departure hex from where the reinforcement is coming from.

The mechanics work, that is not the issue I'm talking about but the computer basically decides on its OWN which units that are adjacent to the attacked stacks are being sent in for reinforcement. The player has no influence on that UNLESS he puts all the same units (for example infantry) of the same morale calibre in that adjacent hex so that it won't matter.

I tested this on the Tannenberg scenario as the Germans.....and I detached an intrinsic GEVII veteran Infantry, the VII artillery and an independent active infantry from the main GEVII army. The main GEVII army was composed of the intrinsic GEVII active infantry and an independent reservist infantry corps. I left the main army in that hex and moved the VII detachment to Koenigsberg since I knew the Russians would invaribly launch an attack on the fortress in the second round.

The attack came and I checked what units were in the rear ready to do battle. I saw all of the detachment units present PLUS the independent reservist infantry from the main GEVII army. I tested this twice and every time it was this infantry that moved automatically (as per the rules) to reinforce the attacked hex. That is great, BUT why not leave the reservist infantry behind and move the VII active infantry to the attacked hex since this is a stronger infantry?

That is the issue I am talking about. Either give the player a chance (like a window when you do a successful interception) that asks you which corps you would like to move as reinforcement while adhering to the rule of leaving one corps behind) or automatically move the strongest units (Elite>Veteran>Active>Reservist>Mobilized) in that order to the attacked hex.

Bismarck
Private

Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:38 pm

TheDeadeye wrote:Hmm indeed. To your 1) the GHQ ought to deploy all its reserve forces to initiative combat or retreat as per rules. Does this happen in WEGO mode too?

2) Did the British manage to slip past the GEI and GEII to end up behind your lines so that you had to chase them? Or are you saying that you defeated the British at Mons and they retreated behind your linesas in instead of going deeper into France they retreated into Belgium? As per rules the retreat has to be towards a supply source...in other words city or town. Unless you didnt capture all Belgian towns and cities with your armies, the AI retreated from Mons to whatever Belgian city lay closest and will sit there.

Also, don't forget that during the movement doctrine the armies may retreat two or more hexes if they want to reduce the loss by one after a defeat.

As to 1: the GHQ just sits there (I don't know what is in it, I'm play CP) immune from attack. This is army-by-army.

2. Brussles had fallen prior turn to CP (as had the channel coast); yet the Brits elected to retreat there rather than toward a supply source.

All very mystifying.

TheDeadeye
Colonel

Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:53 pm

Bismarck wrote:As to 1: the GHQ just sits there (I don't know what is in it, I'm play CP) immune from attack. This is army-by-army.

2. Brussles had fallen prior turn to CP (as had the channel coast); yet the Brits elected to retreat there rather than toward a supply source.

All very mystifying.

Hmm

Try this, go to options and remove the fog of war for units for the player...in other words so that you can see the AI units without having to do aerial recon.

See if the GHQ has any units left. If it doesn't then, it ought to be destroyed or retreat.....the latter should happen.

To your 2) Again, see if the Brit HQ has any corps in it. If not, then this is also a common occurence that sometimes armies just get stuck in place without any units...they dont pose any threat and wont block supply...they are just there...instead of being destroyed. If that is the case, it's another bug.

Bismarck
Private

Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:54 pm

TheDeadeye wrote:Hmm

Try this, go to options and remove the fog of war for units for the player...in other words so that you can see the AI units without having to do aerial recon.

See if the GHQ has any units left. If it doesn't then, it ought to be destroyed or retreat.....the latter should happen.

To your 2) Again, see if the Brit HQ has any corps in it. If not, then this is also a common occurence that sometimes armies just get stuck in place without any units...they dont pose any threat and wont block supply...they are just there...instead of being destroyed. If that is the case, it's another bug.

Thanks. It is likely the "army without units" bug.

calvinus

Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:59 am

Hi all,

as some of you know, I'm currently deadly busy with my "official" job. But, despite this so ugly period, I'm working little by little on bug fixes and improvements. I recently worked out a bunch of new graphical fixes and improvements, and I will soon come back on your problem reports!

Thanks a lot for your great support (and patience)!
Calvinus.

Bismarck
Private

Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:33 pm

calvinus wrote:Hi all,

as some of you know, I'm currently deadly busy with my "official" job. But, despite this so ugly period, I'm working little by little on bug fixes and improvements. I recently worked out a bunch of new graphical fixes and improvements, and I will soon come back on your problem reports!

Thanks a lot for your great support (and patience)!
Calvinus.

We very much appreciate your efforts. Here's another one for your amusement:

In Oct. 1914 the Germans swept along the Channel Coast all the way to Le Havre and also ended adjacent to Paris, which fell under Siege in Nov/Dec. However, the Germans failed to clear a single inland area near Lille (Germans held all the channel ports). Guess what poped up in that isolated space the Reinf phase of Nov/Dec 1914? The British 2d Army, which then proceeded to take Calais by surprise from the rear. :mdr: Well .... seems to me how the British appear needs to be fixed (e.g., ought not appear in isolated spaces or perhaps E of the Seine if the Channel Ports/LeHavre have fallen).

The BEF itself also appeared isolated adjacent to Mons, but fought its way to the front lines, only to be eliminated isolated.

calvinus

Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:46 am

Two answers for a couple of issues reported here:

1) Counter-attacks: did you select the counter-attack target area before hitting the "Conter-attack" button?

2) Reaction: pause the AI when you want to book the Reaction, in time before the AI activates the army, and click the "Book Reaction" button.

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Patience?

Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:59 pm

Luca: I will pray for your success in your "deadly" real job. Thanks for your patience. t :thumbsup:

Return to “Help improve WW1!”