Mowers
Captain

So do interceptions in MP work?

Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:43 pm

Or is it bust? Or did we do something wrong?

So this is what happened.

So we set up an MP game using the Serbia scenario.

We got to turn three.

The host (austria) had 2 army HQ's cut off behind Belgrade.

I (serbia) clicked Army interception.

In his turn he then tried to relieve the armies by going south of Belgrade.

So he gets a dark box with yellow text by an undisclosed leader with an enemy serb army.

Then HE gets to chose the intercept - yes or no - and a timer. He clicks yes.

Then nothing happens.

On my map there are no army icons on the intercept region on the map but if I click the region three armies appear at the bottom of the page. One is his and two of mine appear.

My friend has this box still on his screen, frozen, except, he can still zoom in and out on map but he cant select anything or do anything to get out.

I can do nothing, I have full control but no way of moving the game onwards.

Because we couldn't save the game so that we were unable to save and continue.

When we quit the entire game froze up and had to be stopped with control-alt-delete.

Are interceptions broken in MP? Or can anyone confirm that they work?

Is this game really ready to play yet in MP? Or are there many unresolved issues?

Do we need to have the same setting in the main control panel in MP?

calvinus

Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:54 pm

This is a bug caused by a loss of synchro/connection that I experienced sometimes too, extremely though to fix, unless I refactor a huge set of code inside the core turn-based engine of the game... :p leure:
I have to insert a ping-pong mechanic, plus a retry mode, in order to make the game be sure these matters are properly performed. It's the hell of MP games..... :bonk:

Mowers
Captain

Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:07 pm

calvinus wrote:This is a bug caused by a loss of synchro/connection that I experienced sometimes too, extremely though to fix, unless I refactor a huge set of code inside the core turn-based engine of the game... :p leure:
I have to insert a ping-pong mechanic, plus a retry mode, in order to make the game be sure these matters are properly performed. It's the hell of MP games..... :bonk:

Thanks for the quick response.

So how often can we expect this to happen? Every 5 turns? Or less or more?

Is a fix likely at all? Should we wait for it?

Thanks
Mowers

calvinus

Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:43 pm

I can't provide you an exact answer, because it mostly depend on the connection... I experienced it only a few times.

As written before, in order to be 100% sure, I have to code again the core engine for these MP operations by adding a reply mechanic... everywhere the two PCs must be totally synchro, most notably where such loss of synchro makes the game freezes.

So I can tell you: save regularly and wait for a fix... ;)

Mowers
Captain

Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:04 pm

calvinus wrote:I can't provide you an exact answer, because it mostly depend on the connection... I experienced it only a few times.

As written before, in order to be 100% sure, I have to code again the core engine for these MP operations by adding a reply mechanic... everywhere the two PCs must be totally synchro, most notably where such loss of synchro makes the game freezes.

So I can tell you: save regularly and wait for a fix... ;)

Thank you.

Well if it has only happened a few times then that's no bad thing. I can live with that. I'll keep you posted if it happens again and in the meantime save alot :)

Mowers
Captain

Sat May 02, 2009 9:56 am

calvinus,

I do not know how much internet MP you have tried but whilst attempting to run the scenario's the game fails every 2-4 turns because of what "appear" to be synch issues.

Perhaps its the connection we are using but so far MP does seem very unstable to the point where it's difficult to play the game.

Are you or anyone else able to confirm that the MP version does work and does not de-synch (and thus unplayable) repeatedly as it is currently doing? Or is it our particular problem?

Thanks Mowers

Mowers
Captain

MP is not playable until the synching issue is resolved.

Sat May 02, 2009 1:36 pm

calvinus,

Bad news I am afraid, there is an awful lot of work to be done before MP is anywhere near playable.

I have now tried with another player on the GC and here is what happened:

We didnt get past the diplomacy phase before it de-synched and had to save and rehost.

The game then de-synched in the first military turn during an interception and we had to save and rehost.

The game then de-synched again immediately and CTD'd again with the rehost.

The game then de-synched again before we could move on from the save.

We then gave up.

MP scenario problems include:

Tannenberg - doesnt load in MP
Jutland - Entente can not bring main fleet in
Palestine - 2 de-synches in a one turn game.
Caporetto - 2 de-synches before the end of the turn
Serbia - 6 de-synches before we managed to complete the scenario.

Furthermore the MP chat box before the game starts doesnt allow more than a couple of words to be said.

Right now MP doesnt work, I can not get through a turn or 2 without having to rehost because of the de-synch issue.

I am sorry to say that you will need to program in a synch fix before this game is playable in MP in any sort of meaningful way.

A question? How many hours of internet testing have you done with this game as part of development? If you need any help to do this please do not hesitate to contact me via PM.

It would be great if you could let us know what you plan to address this and keep us posted, thanks.

Mowers

Return to “Help improve WW1!”