Bismarck
Private

Too easy to move AH armies in W in 1914?

Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:44 pm

Calvinus:

Very much enjoying the game in 1.06e. Two questions:

1. The first (per subject line): when I play CP in grand campaign start, with most war plans, the AH seems free to move the HQs and most units of the armies bordering Italy -- indeed, rail them to Galcia, for example. Should this be prohibited and the troops required to stay adjacent to Italy until some diplomatic level is reached?

2. Having trouble regauging track from Germany to adjacent to Liege. I set GE 2d Army to march into Liege with the siege guns; I detach a Corps from that stack to move adjacent to Liege and convert RR. The problem: the detachment (i) sometimes just doesn't move; or (ii) moves but track stays Belgian. What am I doing wrong?

Thx

calvinus

Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:52 pm

Bismarck wrote:1. The first (per subject line): when I play CP in grand campaign start, with most war plans, the AH seems free to move the HQs and most units of the armies bordering Italy -- indeed, rail them to Galcia, for example. Should this be prohibited and the troops required to stay adjacent to Italy until some diplomatic level is reached?

There was indeed a army-lock rule in a very first version, that I was later forced to remove, because I never succeeded to make the unlock rule working properly. :bonk:

On the other hand, if you move away even only one army, and Italy declares war, you are in big troubles! I can tell it for sure, because I personally experienced such a situation... :D In my game, now Trento is under Italian hands... and I'm playing on the side of CPs! ;)

Bismarck wrote:2. Having trouble regauging track from Germany to adjacent to Liege. I set GE 2d Army to march into Liege with the siege guns; I detach a Corps from that stack to move adjacent to Liege and convert RR. The problem: the detachment (i) sometimes just doesn't move; or (ii) moves but track stays Belgian. What am I doing wrong?

This happens to me too sometimes. I will seek the real reason as soon as possible. There's surely something that delays the execution of the move order.

Bismarck
Private

Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:46 pm

Thanks Calvinus. If it helps find the RR conversion bug, I play (exlcusively) with army-by-army activation mode.

calvinus

Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:32 pm

I found the reason why the moves are sometimes not performed. It happens in case of coordination of armies. I'm testing the fix right now. ;)

calvinus

Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:51 pm

Bismarck
Private

Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:00 pm

Now *that* is what one calls customer service. Quick follow-up: in army-by-army mode, how do I tell if coordination is achieved (and how does one request it for that matter)? Are you allowed to execute both armies' moves simultaneously?

calvinus

Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:22 pm

Bismarck wrote:Quick follow-up: in army-by-army mode, how do I tell if coordination is achieved (and how does one request it for that matter)?

You see the coordinate button properly clicked and a 'success' green message in the game log. Otherwise the button is not clicked and you get a failure message.

Bismarck wrote:Are you allowed to execute both armies' moves simultaneously?

Yes, of course. This is the main advantage of coordinations and the main purpose! ;)

Bismarck
Private

Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:11 am

Sorry for still not seeing it; how does one *request* coordination in army-by-army mode?

calvinus

Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:20 am

Bismarck wrote:Sorry for still not seeing it; how does one *request* coordination in army-by-army mode?

Simple. Suppose you have already activated one army. Well, if you select another army (controlled by you, of course), you see that the "Activate button" (that one represented by a pointing hand) is replaced by the "Coordinate armies" button (that one represented by two clocks). So just click it. ;)

calvinus

Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:02 pm

Now I have a doubt.... you asked me how to book an army coordination... so that means you never coordinated army, right?
On the other hand you experienced situations where one army does not perform a scheduled movement, or at least so you wrote. And you wrote also that you play in army-by-army mode, right?

Well, I think the reason why your armies sometimes do not move because you choose a target area where another friendly army is actually located. ;)

Edit: consider indeed that the one-army-per-area rule has been disabled only for the WEGO mode.

Bismarck
Private

Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:56 pm

Actually, Calvinus, the target area was for the same army (e.g., Malmedy). GE II moves through Malmedy to Liege; a detached Corps of GE II, set to move into and convert the rails in Malemedy, doesn't follow the order to move into the area and do so. [Since I was not coordinating the armies, GE I had already moved; but through Maastricht and nowhere near Malmedy].

Bismarck
Private

More on RR conversion issue

Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:47 am

Calvinus:

I started a new game with your new patch (for 1.06E). This time, I managed to coordinate GI, GII, and GIII. :bonk: The GEII detachment entered Malmedy but again did not convert the rail, even though set to do so. :crying:

The save game is attached.
Attachments
Early August 1914 after coordinated .zip
(138.46 KiB) Downloaded 209 times

calvinus

Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:07 am

Did you find enemy troops in Malmedy? If so, consider that a recent patch introduced a change: no rail conversion if enemy is present (done only after battle, if victorious).

Bismarck
Private

Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:57 pm

Hi Calvinus: No enemy troops; standard Early Aug 1914 situation: GE II moves through Malemdy to Liege; a detached Corps trails to convert the rails and enters Malmedy, but no conversion occurs.

Bismarck
Private

Sat May 02, 2009 11:47 pm

Calvnius: Good news; the railroad shows up converted during next phase (I'm running 1.06E).

Return to “Help improve WW1!”