pk205
Conscript

Odd naval behaviour in 1.06D

Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:16 am

New 2 player GC. CP, as always. Moltke + Kaiser selected. Got Italy and Romania on my side on the Early August diplo phases (nice!) whereas the Entente got Britain and Japan on theirs.

From the first military phase I have had the same recurring problem: I cannot move any of my fleets into a friendly port. I get a red error message on the log to the tune "Can't find path". It is a big problem since my triumphant High Seas Fleet has just battered the Grand Fleet into retreat from the North Sea (9 ships to 7, and my losses were just PDs and CLs) and would like to get back to Wilhelmshaven to refit, please. None of my other fleets can get back to port once they sail either. I tested with the italian fleet and now they're stuck like morons outside Taranto and can't get back in!

Is there a rule I am ignoring here (odd, since it worked fine up to 1.06D), or it's just a good old-fashioned bug? I don't want to lose this save, it looks very intriguing.

calvinus

Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:11 am

Ok, probably a bug. I will investigate and fix as soon I go back from Easter vacations. :)

Hungry Joe
Conscript

Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:12 pm

Hi,

Can confirm this & have attached a save game with various British fleets around England which can't return to port. It also seems from watching the CP turns that the AI does not have the same problem.
Attachments
Naval Problems.rar
(373.67 KiB) Downloaded 251 times

Chertio
Lieutenant

Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:56 pm

[1.06d]

Same here, playing CP, ships cannot get to port (even reinforcements placed in a sea area with ports).

-------------------

Also there seem to be movement restrictions, for instance...

Spee cannot get into the Atlantic, in fact a couple of sea areas north of New Zealand seems to be as near as he can get to Cape Horn.

Koenigsburg can reach the South Atlantic but can't get near Togo or Kamerun.

I had Koenigsburg being intercepted by a single French ship south of Togo and then apparently being unable to move at all. Over several turns more and more Entente ships arrived and the Koenigsburg was sunk.

Are the movement restrictions intended to stop fleets going wildly off-station, eg the Grand Fleet from charging off to the South Atlantic on an intercept?

[Edit] Looking through the boardgame manual, I gather that Spee and the African ships are to be understood as commerce raiders - as long as they are at sea (and not in their home ports?) they damage the Entente economy, eventually they will be hunted down and destroyed. if they represent abstract commerce raiding rather than actual battle units then the movement restrictions (and the trapped Koenigsburg) make sense.

calvinus

Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:39 pm

Ok, bug fixed. Next patch. :love:

Edit: I fixed also the regression bug that prevented moving fleets from Indian/Pacific Ocean to the rest of the world. ;)

pk205
Conscript

Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:32 am

calvinus wrote:Ok, bug fixed. Next patch. :love:

Edit: I fixed also the regression bug that prevented moving fleets from Indian/Pacific Ocean to the rest of the world. ;)

Sorry to be pushy, but this is a very nice save I've got going: will the new patch be compatible with the 1.06D saves?

Obviously, I can't proceed with my game until the new patch, so I will be chewing my nails till it's out...

calvinus

Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:43 am

pk205 wrote:Sorry to be pushy, but this is a very nice save I've got going: will the new patch be compatible with the 1.06D saves?

Obviously, I can't proceed with my game until the new patch, so I will be chewing my nails till it's out...

Don't worry for your save. The next patch will be compatible. ;)

Winfield S. Hancock
Captain

Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:20 pm

Calvinus, any chance you can put this naval fix out in a mini-patch? I have been away from the game for awhile, then started back in with 1.06d, but this naval bug is really a game breaker if you are playing the Entente. I really hope I dont have to put the game back on the shelf until the next patch but if navies cant move correctly or return to port, that is a major problem.
"Wars are not all evil; they are part of the grand machinery by which this world is governed, thunderstorms which purify the political atmosphere, test the manhood of a people, and prove whether they are worthy to take rank with others engaged in the same task by different methods" -- William T. Sherman addressing the Grand Army of the Republic in 1883

Second in War, Second in Peace, First in the Hearts of His Countrymen -- General Winfield Scott Hancock, USA

calvinus

Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:36 pm

A mini beta patch will come very soon. In fact, checking carefully the thread "1916 scenario errors", I realised the errors were simply a misunderstanding. That means I do not have to update game DBs and I can publish a new beta-patch that will be worth only of the WW1.exe file.

So I will post here simply a zipped version of WW1.exe :) ... during the week-end! ;)

Winfield S. Hancock
Captain

Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:43 pm

Thanks Calvinus, you are the best.
"Wars are not all evil; they are part of the grand machinery by which this world is governed, thunderstorms which purify the political atmosphere, test the manhood of a people, and prove whether they are worthy to take rank with others engaged in the same task by different methods" -- William T. Sherman addressing the Grand Army of the Republic in 1883

Second in War, Second in Peace, First in the Hearts of His Countrymen -- General Winfield Scott Hancock, USA

Return to “Help improve WW1!”