dougbush93
Captain

RP use problem in 1.06D

Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:17 am

In my current CG, I the following situation came up during the CP reinforcements phase:

- Date is October 1915, German RP flow is 12/turn

- Germany had 16RP available

- Germany used 6 of the RP to flip units

- I got a message saying I could only flip "one half of my RP flow per turn" when I tried (and failed) to spend a 7th RP to flip a unit to full strength.

This contradicts the manual, rule 6.2, where it says "Each country can spend up to 1/2 its RP stock (rounded up) per turn to do this". The RP flow doesn't matter, the only restriction should be the 1/2 RP stock (not the flow).

So, in this case Germany should have been able to use 8RP, not 6RP, to flip units. This could be a big deal over time, especially for Germany.

-Doug

calvinus

Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:09 am

Are you sure you was respecting also the rule of max 2 RPs spent per army (4 on main armies), 2 on GHQs, 2 everywhere? ;)

dougbush93
Captain

Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:40 pm

calvinus wrote:Are you sure you was respecting also the rule of max 2 RPs spent per army (4 on main armies), 2 on GHQs, 2 everywhere? ;)

Well, the error message just said I was trying to use more than 1/2 my RP flow, and I was unable to go to any other German Army and spend a 7th RP. I will confirm in my next turn and send you the .sav / .map files.

-Doug

dougbush93
Captain

RP problem confirmed

Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:55 am

I went ahead with my next turn (Nov-Dec 1915) and had the same problem with RP use in the reinforcement phase.

German flow is 12RP / turn

German RP stock at start of turn is 13RP, so per the manual, Germans should be able to use 7RP this turn flipping units back to full strength.

Then I did a test:

GE II Army flipped 4 corps, wouldn't allow me to flip 5 (which is correct, ok so far b/c GE II is not the Main Army)

GE V Army flipped 2 corps (6 total used, working ok)

GE VI Army not allowed to flip any corps and spend a 7th RP. I got the error message in the attached image file. GE VI should be allowed to spend 1 more RP flipping a corps, making 7 RP total spent.

I've also attached the saved game files (right at the start of the reinforcement phase) so Calvinus could test as well.

This really needs to be fixed. Breaks the game. Especially for the CP. I thought we had this fixed in a previous patch. :confused:

-Doug
Attachments
WW1QUICKSAVE-map.zip
(283.57 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
WW1QUICKSAVE.zip
(123.28 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
RP Problem.jpg

calvinus

Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:25 am

Mmm... 7 RPs means 50% of 13 points, rounded up... but I guess the engine calculates the amount rounded down. If so, the bug fix is simple, even though I have to check the rules in order to be sure the calculation must be rounded up. On the other hand, provided the problem concerns only the 1 RP rounding stuff, I do not believe this breaks the game... ;)

calvinus

Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:14 am

Ok I checked the code and I now recall how the procedure works...
The 50% base calculation is performed on the RP flow, not on the RP stock, because the stock decreases with the spending of RPs, so it's impossible to count on it.

So, for example: if you get 12 RPs per turn, you can spend max 6 RPs during the Reinf. phase for refilling units.

What I can do now is to refactor the engine in such a way to make the 50% calculation on the initial stock, and no more on the RP flow.

Thanks,
Calvinus.

dougbush93
Captain

Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:58 pm

calvinus wrote:Ok I checked the code and I now recall how the procedure works...
The 50% base calculation is performed on the RP flow, not on the RP stock, because the stock decreases with the spending of RPs, so it's impossible to count on it.

So, for example: if you get 12 RPs per turn, you can spend max 6 RPs during the Reinf. phase for refilling units.

What I can do now is to refactor the engine in such a way to make the 50% calculation on the initial stock, and no more on the RP flow.

Thanks,
Calvinus.

That suggested fix (50% of stock, rounded up, at start of replacement phase after new RP are received for the turn) would be consistent with the manual and with the boardgame rule (7-B), fwiw.

Thanks for checking this out. In the meantime, is this fixable by modding?

-Doug

calvinus

Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:32 pm

Thanks to you, the fix is done and I'm going to test it. ;)

calvinus

Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:18 pm

Ok, confirmed: the bug is fixed. Next patch. :love:

Return to “Help improve WW1!”