Theodor
Conscript

Diplomatic Modifiers, Fronts and more

Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:39 am

Hi!
After the last patch, there are no big bugs left in the game and I consider the game fully playable. Still, there are some minor issues:

If both the AI and you make a diplomatic action against the same country, it looks like only one takes effect, or possible gets noticed in the game log. Is that WAD or is it a bug?

Another slightly irritating thing is that the manual, even in its latest version differs on many different places from the game, mostly in the later parts of the manual. An example is the Diplomacy Modifiers Tables. If you compare the tables in the manual with the tables in "diplomaticModifiers.csv you will notice a number of discrepancies, especially on England. The game have a lot more modifiers, (e.g., entry of almost all country on Entente Side) which is a good thing, but you can´t really plan your diplomatic actions if you don't know your odds.

So I guess the question is, is it the manual you are going to change, or will you implement more of the countryspecific rules in the game, (or both I guess)?

Another thing I don't think is working as planned is the different fronts. I dont think you should be able to move army's on different fronts at the same time. According to the manual, (and the board game) every front most be completed before next will be started.

Thank you for a good game.

calvinus

Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:56 am

Surely there are still some points of the manual that are to be corrected. This requires time, and a lot of dedication, because 229 pages are 229 pages... ;)

calvinus

Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:58 am

Theodor wrote:If both the AI and you make a diplomatic action against the same country, it looks like only one takes effect, or possible gets noticed in the game log. Is that WAD or is it a bug?

Absolutely not a bug. If you and the AI both plan an action towards the same nation, only one mission is performed, that one of the first player in Initiative order. On the other side, the mission is simply a die roll, where the balance of AMBs is taken into account... ;)

calvinus

Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:04 pm

Theodor wrote:Another slightly irritating thing is that the manual, even in its latest version differs on many different places from the game, mostly in the later parts of the manual. An example is the Diplomacy Modifiers Tables. If you compare the tables in the manual with the tables in "diplomaticModifiers.csv you will notice a number of discrepancies, especially on England. The game have a lot more modifiers, (e.g., entry of almost all country on Entente Side) which is a good thing, but you can´t really plan your diplomatic actions if you don't know your odds.

Maybe the discrepancies come from the need of translating boardgame rules into scripted DBs, so that at the end the sum of effects/modifiers is the same. I mean you feel some discrepancies that translated into human concepts are not discrepancies. But if you have doubts, do not hesitate in posting here the details. ;)

Theodor wrote:Another thing I don't think is working as planned is the different fronts. I dont think you should be able to move army's on different fronts at the same time. According to the manual, (and the board game) every front most be completed before next will be started.

Surely a wrong/redundant copy&paste from the boardgame rules. Which page? I will tell Martin to remove this sentence, because indeed this rule is absolutely impossible to reproduce on a PC game! :D

Thanks,
Calvinus.

Theodor
Conscript

Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:34 pm

calvinus wrote:Maybe the discrepancies come from the need of translating boardgame rules into scripted DBs, so that at the end the sum of effects/modifiers is the same. I mean you feel some discrepancies that translated into human concepts are not discrepancies. But if you have doubts, do not hesitate in posting here the details. ;)

Dont get me wrong, I´m not saying its something wrong in the translation, is just small things. An example is on p 200 in the manual. It states that ENG will get +1 Diplomat if Brussels is Entente and not occupied by CP. That is not implemented in the game now. Maybe you just could remove that sentence from the manual?

Surely a wrong/redundant copy&paste from the boardgame rules. Which page? I will tell Martin to remove this sentence, because indeed this rule is absolutely impossible to reproduce on a PC game! :D

The first time it´s mentioned is on page 8. On page 33 it´s not clearly stated, but it´s the most obvious interpretation, otherwise, it should read something like "any Main Army" now it say "His" which I think sounds like there only can be one.

On page 39
This rule favors the player with Initiative because he has no negative effect
to Reaction. Once the “Reaction” is ended (success or failure), the active
player continues his activities on the[color="DarkRed"] front in play[/color].

I think there are some more places it is mentioned. Is the other front related rules in play? One reaction per front etc?

Dont take this as critic, just some help. :)

Return to “Help improve WW1!”