Strat_84
Private

Bug report : version 1.06a

Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:22 pm

- The game crashes sometimes when the battles are proceeded. That didn't happen with the 1.06 beta patch and this is quite random (sometimes during a siege, sometimes during an air battle etc ...)

- Double clicking on the picture representing an Ace makes the game crashing

- Sometimes wrong results in naval battles : I saw a B battleship squad 6-6-3 supported by a light cruiser squad fighting a cruiser 2-1-4, and the battle ended after the 1rst round telling 1 ship had been sunk and the B had lost the battle ... :tournepas

- Phantom battles still occuring and quite annoying (made me loose an heavily fortified region and completly broke my lignes). A tip : it may come from armies moving during the turn. When it happened my army was in the Ardennes and on the move to Liege + interception succeeded. And the same turn a German army came to Liege and the phantom battle occured.
I also had such a phantom battle in Turkey when I attacked a town and the very same turn the Turkish army defending that town attacked my former position.

- There are still some battles in which the AI only has reserves and nothing else at the beginning of the fight

- NW penalities for loosing a fortress seem to have disapeared

Mmmmhhhh, I think this is everything for this time :thumbsup:

calvinus

Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:44 pm

Strat_84 wrote:- The game crashes sometimes when the battles are proceeded. That didn't happen with the 1.06 beta patch and this is quite random (sometimes during a siege, sometimes during an air battle etc ...)

Does it happen when a combat round is resolved? I believe it's the playback of some combat sound effect... :(

Strat_84 wrote:- Double clicking on the picture representing an Ace makes the game crashing

Can you send me please a savegame with an ace? You have my email address... ;)

Strat_84 wrote:- Sometimes wrong results in naval battles : I saw a B battleship squad 6-6-3 supported by a light cruiser squad fighting a cruiser 2-1-4, and the battle ended after the 1rst round telling 1 ship had been sunk and the B had lost the battle ... :tournepas

I will try to reproduce.

Strat_84 wrote:- Phantom battles still occuring and quite annoying (made me loose an heavily fortified region and completly broke my lignes). A tip : it may come from armies moving during the turn. When it happened my army was in the Ardennes and on the move to Liege + interception succeeded. And the same turn a German army came to Liege and the phantom battle occured.
I also had such a phantom battle in Turkey when I attacked a town and the very same turn the Turkish army defending that town attacked my former position.

I experienced them too, really annoying. So I'm going to try disabling the overrun rule at all, just to see if the cause is that one.

Strat_84 wrote:- There are still some battles in which the AI only has reserves and nothing else at the beginning of the fight

Do they contain corps in reserve? :blink:

Strat_84 wrote:- NW penalities for loosing a fortress seem to have disapeared

Mmm... I will investigate. ;)

Nial
Colonel

Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:25 pm

Naval battle results do need to be looked at. I had a major battle playing GB.
I had the advantage in every category at the end of the battle. Wounded ships/ destroyed groups/ ships sunk/ and admirals. The German fleet disengaged/ fled the battle, and still I/ GB lost. I would not have posted if I had lost even one category or if my fleet had been the one to flee. In all honesty this has only happened once that I am aware of. But it does suggest that there is a glitch somewhere in naval winner determination.

Nial
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

calvinus

Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:04 am

The determination of naval winner is a bit different than in land combats, because each naval squadron type has its "weight" in terms of NW loss. But this matter has anyway to be investigated, yes... ;)

Strat_84
Private

Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:52 am

calvinus wrote:Does it happen when a combat round is resolved? I believe it's the playback of some combat sound effect... :(

It happens when the game switches from a battle to another I think. I got one when the screen of an air battle appeared, and another one just after a siege is performed.
When it happens you hear an heavy HD access for a few seconds and then the windows message saying the game has crashed appears.

calvinus wrote:Can you send me please a savegame with an ace? You have my email address... ;)

I will send this as soon as I am back home.

calvinus wrote:Do they contain corps in reserve? :blink:

Yes, there were at least 2 corps in reserves in that case. :)

As I'm answering, it reminds me a few things also:
- there's a problem with technology discovery. Some technologies supposed to be discovered "late" are discovered much sooner by the AI (everytime I encountered this, it was Strosstruppen researched in 1915 instead of 1917), but there is also more amazing: I discovered Siege artillery as French player in August 1914 and I can construct siege artillery BUT I never started that research and this is not checked as discovered technology in the research screen. :thumbsup:
- A problem with message display or rules about USA on war: it is said there are penalities for Germany / Austria and bonuses for UK / France / Russia / Italy BUT in my game Italy is part of the Axis ... :wacko:

calvinus

Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:55 am

Strat_84 wrote:- there's a problem with technology discovery. Some technologies supposed to be discovered "late" are discovered much sooner by the AI (everytime I encountered this, it was Strosstruppen researched in 1915 instead of 1917), but there is also more amazing: I discovered Siege artillery as French player in August 1914 and I can construct siege artillery BUT I never started that research and this is not checked as discovered technology in the research screen. :thumbsup:

Probably a cheat used by AI! :D

Strat_84 wrote:- A problem with message display or rules about USA on war: it is said there are penalities for Germany / Austria and bonuses for UK / France / Russia / Italy BUT in my game Italy is part of the Axis ... :wacko:

With 1.06a I fixed it for the "US corps landing" stuff.

Syagrius
Lieutenant

Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:23 pm

As I mentioned on the main, since 1.06a I have endless "AI politics" processing at the beginning of military phases. I have to close the game and restart and sometimes get over it. Didnt have that with previous beta :confused:
Roma Aeterna Est

calvinus

Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:25 pm

Post here the savegame. I will look at it tonight.

Syagrius
Lieutenant

Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:54 pm

calvinus wrote:Post here the savegame. I will look at it tonight.

I am at work now so I will send it on this thread tonight.
Roma Aeterna Est

Syagrius
Lieutenant

Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:40 am

Calvinus, as discussed the savegame for the endless Politics at the start of miltary phase.
Attachments
Nov - Dec 1915.rar
(374.29 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
Roma Aeterna Est

calvinus

Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:43 am

Ok, I will have a look at it today. Some infos about the game config: WEGO? Give AI full time? Others...? ;)

Syagrius
Lieutenant

Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:16 pm

calvinus wrote:Ok, I will have a look at it today. Some infos about the game config: WEGO? Give AI full time? Others...? ;)

It is a wego game, no Ai full time and logs, pretty basic options, fog of war lifted for AI, sounds effects and music on, map loaded at start, sounds loaded at start.
Roma Aeterna Est

calvinus

Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:49 pm

The reason is that you have removed the AI FoW. Set back the default options and the AI will finish her job. It seems that this 4-players situation is too much for the AI job when no FoW is set... I will work on this issue as soon as possible.

Syagrius
Lieutenant

Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:28 pm

Ah ok thanks calvinus, I will do. I did remove the fog for the AI as you said it helps the AI playing better thus increasing difficulty.
Roma Aeterna Est

calvinus

Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:34 am

Ops a misunderstanding. You don't have to remove the FoW from AI, but you have to put.

You wrote "fog of war lifted for AI", so I understood you removed the FoW for AI, and tested your save: AI works infinite. Then I added back the FoW: AI finishes in a couple of mins max.

Hope now it's clear. ;)

calvinus

Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:16 pm

Strat_84 wrote:- Double clicking on the picture representing an Ace makes the game crashing

Finally fixed, thanks to the precious help of Strat_84. Being not reproducible in debug mode, I had to do a complex combination of tricks to reproduce and fix this bug. :cuit:

Next patch. :love:

AndrewKurtz

Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:34 pm

calvinus wrote:Being not reproducible in debug mode

Don't you HATE that! :bonk:

calvinus

Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:44 pm

Yes! When this happens makes me panic!!! :mdr:

Strat_84
Private

Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:28 pm

Nice to see the bug has been caught :thumbsup:

Strat_84 wrote:- Sometimes wrong results in naval battles : I saw a B battleship squad 6-6-3 supported by a light cruiser squad fighting a cruiser 2-1-4, and the battle ended after the 1rst round telling 1 ship had been sunk and the B had lost the battle ... :tournepas

Problem confirmed this afternoon. I sunk a CL, killed an admiral and made a german fleet flee, that without taking any damage and ... At the end I am told that Germany won ... :mdr:

N.B: Are there necromancers in WWI ? I got a "new" admiral that is actually ... one that was supposed to have been killed during battle. :p oke:

Syagrius
Lieutenant

Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:01 pm

calvinus wrote:The reason is that you have removed the AI FoW. Set back the default options and the AI will finish her job. It seems that this 4-players situation is too much for the AI job when no FoW is set... I will work on this issue as soon as possible.

Calvinus, it did the job in 1915 but in spring 1916 the problem happened again (endless politics AI at start of military phase) :( I had the fog on for the AI as you advised. Attached is the savegame.
Attachments
AutoSave.rar
(374.98 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
Roma Aeterna Est

calvinus

Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:11 am

Strat_84 wrote:N.B: Are there necromancers in WWI ? I got a "new" admiral that is actually ... one that was supposed to have been killed during battle. :p oke:

Very strange, I fixed it... Now you see also his picture? Or simply the name (with the picture of the unknown leader)? I'm a bit puzzled... and I'm wondering if some random names match with the historical leaders' names... :confused:

calvinus

Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:54 am

Syagrius wrote:Calvinus, it did the job in 1915 but in spring 1916 the problem happened again (endless politics AI at start of military phase) :( I had the fog on for the AI as you advised. Attached is the savegame.

Not reproduced, but I can say the last time the deadlock was related to Decoy Stacks. There was a too huge number of decoys to create, and the game entered a deadlock searching the army assignment. So I suggest you to disable for the time being the Human FoW on stack contents: this will tell the AI to do not create decoys. ;)
On my side I'm studying a solution.

Strat_84
Private

Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:37 am

calvinus wrote:Very strange, I fixed it... Now you see also his picture? Or simply the name (with the picture of the unknown leader)? I'm a bit puzzled... and I'm wondering if some random names match with the historical leaders' names... :confused:

Yes, I see the picture and the name, and both are the same as for the dead admiral. The characteristics are also the same. (just to be clear I got this "new" admiral thanks to the "new leader" political action, after the death of the original one)

Oh, talking about random you remind me that I found a cheat with tanks: There is a combat value determined before the round starts, but if you switch the infantry corps from fight to "1rst line" that value changes, so that you just need to switch your corps several times to get the best possible value.

calvinus

Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:50 pm

Have you had that admiral died, then you saved? You loaded the savegame later, the "New Leader" action was performed, and the admiral relived? If so, this could be the explanation... Indeed I realized that when an admiral dies, he's removed from the game, but if you load the savegame later, he can be relived from the Leaders.CSV DB! Grrr... stupid me! :wacko:

calvinus

Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:53 pm

calvinus wrote:Not reproduced, but I can say the last time the deadlock was related to Decoy Stacks. There was a too huge number of decoys to create, and the game entered a deadlock searching the army assignment. So I suggest you to disable for the time being the Human FoW on stack contents: this will tell the AI to do not create decoys. ;)
On my side I'm studying a solution.

I'm going to put a limitation to the number of decoys that can be created by AI. ;)

calvinus

Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:50 pm

calvinus wrote:I'm going to put a limitation to the number of decoys that can be created by AI. ;)

AI deadlocks in decoys (camouflaged stacks) placement have been removed. I tried now both saves of Syagrius, with full FoW bonus to AI, no infinite AI job. :thumbsup:

Syagrius
Lieutenant

Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:30 am

calvinus wrote:AI deadlocks in decoys (camouflaged stacks) placement have been removed. I tried now both saves of Syagrius, with full FoW bonus to AI, no infinite AI job. :thumbsup:

Good stuff calvinus, thanks. ;)
Roma Aeterna Est

calvinus

Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:14 am

I tested your infinite political AI savegame, with full FoW bonus to AI: 3 mins to complete the AI job without the deadlocks. :)

Syagrius
Lieutenant

Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:02 pm

calvinus wrote:I tested your infinite political AI savegame, with full FoW bonus to AI: 3 mins to complete the AI job without the deadlocks. :)

Good, but with the decoys fixed right? So until next patch I should disable Fow on stack contents?
Roma Aeterna Est

calvinus

Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:00 pm

Syagrius wrote:Good, but with the decoys fixed right? So until next patch I should disable Fow on stack contents?

Yes, this will tell the AI to not create decoys.

Return to “Help improve WW1!”