06 Maestro
General

Reinforcement Lag

Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:52 am

I'm playing the '14 GC in 4 player mode as Germany VS ai. I am now in September '15. The game runs very well for me-except at the start and ending of the reinforcement phase-each and every time since the start. I have stopped and restarted multiple times with this particular scenario during a two day period. The situation is always the same.

It typically takes a minute to 1.5 minutes for it to complete its updating at the very start of the reinforcements phase, and then again after completing my tasks and clicking on the advance button it goes into the stall mode. It has not crashed, just takes a while for it to finish the update. All other phases only take a second or two completing its updates when starting or ending a phase-reinforcements sticks out like a sore thumb. While I'm in the phase, everything works well-the problem is starting and ending the phase.

During the lag period the mouse is hardly functioning; it will stick and then move, or jump, to another location instead of a smooth move. Again, this is only during the minute or so of the phase changing.

Something else that is odd about this phase is the CPU usage while it is entering the phase. During nearly all game play CPU usage on my PC is running at 40 to 50%. While entering reinforcements it is running at about 80 to 90%. The only other time it approaches that level is when ai units are moving during the military phase, but there is no problem during those moves-actually quite smooth and as fast as it should be. Battles use about 30% of my CPU capacity.

This is not really a bug, the game does function, but it still seems something may be amiss with the reinforcements phase. I will have to recheck the wego mode-I don't recall this occurring in 2 player wego. I have seen this before in at least one other game I own, but it is still unusual.

My PC has a 5800 Athlon Duel Core CPU, 4 gigs of ram (counting the GPU) and a Gforce 9800 card.

When you are all caught up and getting bored, perhaps you can look into this issue :)

calvinus

Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 am

Known issue, I already introduced in the past some improvements (the cause is the reinforcement list update procedure), but it means I have to do better.

Thanks,
Calvinus.

calvinus

Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:22 am

I'm developing some new performance improvements.

If you post here your save, I can test the improvements.

Thanks,
Calvinus.

06 Maestro
General

Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:45 am

I would be happy to assist in that small way-I probably have 5 saves from that game-they would all have the same occurrence. The last one is from October '15. I'll put that up-soon.

06 Maestro
General

Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:57 am

Here you go. I typically save at the start of a military phase-that's most likely what this it. That puts it at the far side of the reinforcements phase.

If you would like files from just before the reinforcement phase just let me know. I will save that the next time around. That will be tomorrow though-a little late here now.
Attachments
September 1915 EF 4x.rar
(391.84 KiB) Downloaded 169 times

calvinus

Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:09 am

No need of other files. This is enough.

Thanks! :)

Return to “Help improve WW1!”