Hanno
Private

1.05f Multiplayer issues

Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:06 am

Dear Calvinus,

yesterday, we tested again and the initial bug in the events was gone. We could proceed in the game. Due to CP warplan choices and Diplomacy, Italy joined the CP. We saved the game then on my (Hosts) PC.

It was the CP players turn and he had to activate AH 8th and 9th Army and Italian 1st and 2nd army.

I booked reaction with French 2nd Army, and when the CP was finished with AH and started with Italy, I was able to react and moved/attacked with 2nd Army successfully. Then my turn ended (tooltip - you are not the active player anymore). BUT the CP player could also not activate both its remaining Italian armies (also tooltip - you are not the active player). Then my buddy left the game and the AI took over and was able to activated the 2 armies (which could not be activated before)

Ok we thought, return to the savegame and try again.

Here a larger problem started for us. We could not resume a savegame (we checked that we had the same names and nationalities selected as we did before the save). We tried with the mentioned savegame and with other saved campaign and scenario starts. Each time we find each other in the MP lobby and select start, then me (Host) got into the game and my buddy got a crash just before entering the game (I think end of the scenario initialization screen). I then got the message "Buddy's name" left the game AI takes over and I could continue against the AI. We could not use a single savegame.

Also an error I saw sometimes in Multiplayer (last time in the Tannenberg scenario): My troops move according to order and enter hexes with enemy units but no combat is initialized (both troops stay in the same hex) or the troops move, enter the target hex (empty or with enemy troops) and then are teleported back to their starting positions.

It would be great, if you could look into MP again
Thanks Hanno

calvinus

Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:02 pm

I understand you are playing in army-by-army activation mode. What you can do, waiting for a new patch, is to test the strictly turn-based mode (mandatory in multiplayer) without the army-by-army activation mode.

On my side, I will try to reproduce the bug clearly explained by you (it seems the reason lies in the Reaction procedure).

Hanno
Private

Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:23 pm

It would be of great help, if you could especially check/remove the bug which prevents aus from resuming ANY saved multiplayer game for us and maybe for all others.

Did some others also tried to play multiplayer and had successfully resumed their saved games?

Thanks,
Hanno

calvinus

Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:21 pm

It would be of great help for me if you post here the two savegames (.MAP, .SAV & .NET files) of both connected PCs, providing me also the nicknames used by you (and, of course, a note to inform me how to address each nickname to the related savegame). So I will be able to reproduce the problem quite quickly.

Hanno
Private

Savegames

Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:13 pm

Hi Calvinus, sorry for the delay, but I had not access to the PC.

Here is the savegame of the Campaign. This is from the Host PC (Hanno). The other PC did not save as the joined the game (or was he required to save also?). Is there no data transfer?

Players: Hanno - Entente, Fabian - Central Powers
Attachments
SaveGame.rar
(375.46 KiB) Downloaded 203 times

calvinus

Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:26 pm

Oppss... very strange! The savegame is performed on both PCs automatically... so if the savegame procedure failed on the client, this is the reason of the crash.

Anyway I'm making tests in MP just now. It's extremely complex... I need time, sorry... :cuit:

calvinus

Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:24 am

Yesterday night I pointed out two outstanding problems with Multiplayer:

1) the Reaction sometimes not working at the same manner on either the Host and the Client(s), so determining the loss of synchro in army-by-army activation mode.
2) sometimes a loss of synchro in die rolls seed when determining the initiative and the order of play, that generates a big difference in play order between the Host and the Client(s).

Savegame procedure seems instead working fine on all Host and Client(s). So I'm a bit puzzled about what happened to you.
The Multiplayer is indeed extremely complex (mainly in army-by-army activation mode :wacko :) and terribly time-consuming... I will spend the whole day on that.

Thanks,
Calvinus.

calvinus

Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:05 pm

Finished fixing and testing the multiplayer issues. Next patch. :love:

Hanno
Private

Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:19 pm

Hello Calvinus,

thanks for your hard work on the multiplayer issues. We will try MP again when the new patch is out.

One question regading the savegames:

Currently we connect via Hamachi to avoid firewall blockings.

But it seemed, that only on the host PC the game was saved. To test this further with my buddy he does also need to have a sceen with the message "Saving on the local PC is complete", right?

On your PC the saving worked on both PC's right? And when we resume the game, the non-host player has to select the specific save, correct?

Thank you for your hard work. The game is already great, but I hope the last quirks will be ironed out in the future. E.G. I also saw some strange combat results and for example I sometimes got a final combat report, where it said no wounded units and I had to flip several units (I will re-check this with the combat logs)

Regards, Hanno

calvinus

Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:30 pm

I did two type of tests:

1) launching both the Host and the Client WW1 on the same PC (very powerful!). Here I got problems in saving... but it's normal! Two WW1.exe processes working on the same PC... and it's also an extreme condition!

2) So I tested with my laptop connected as Client to the Host desktop. The savegame worked fine. The savegame worked both on the Host and the Client.
When I reloaded the savegame, I finally managed to get the crash you reported on the client, and I fixed it very easily. :)

I played until the end of Sept. 1914, trying interceptions, coordinations, reactions, etc. etc. with no problems...

I cannot say the MP is 100% perfect, because the complexity of the game is so high, that problems can arise in the future, and a Multiplayer engine in such a complex system is a terrible job. But this is at least a good result, I hope.

Return to “Help improve WW1!”