hellfirejet
Corporal

Modding guide ?

Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:16 pm

Hi is there a modding guide anywhere for the game?

Random
AGEod Veteran

Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:40 am

Never seen one. Am pretty much self taught with regards to modding WW1G but will try to help with any questions or issues to the best of my ability.

There are a number of threads scattered around that address editing game files and modding specific game parameters.

Calvinus will usually stop by and provide his essentially priceless input too.

-C

calvinus

Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:35 am

I tried a few years ago to start working on such a very technical detailed guide, but I soon realised it would mean 300+ pages book....... :mdr:
Visit my other games at : http://www.calvinusgames.com

hellfirejet
Corporal

Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:28 am

calvinus wrote:I tried a few years ago to start working on such a very technical detailed guide, but I soon realised it would mean 300+ pages book....... :mdr:

Well thats a book I would really like to read sometime,thanks for the replys folks,my mod question is for the naval game,while looking at the units file I noticed that Moltke & Seydlitz are in the same squadron,and Goeben,Moltke sister ship is listed on its own,I suppose thats due to the fact that she was in the Med,and then transfered to Turkey,is it possible to change history,and keep her in the High Seas Fleet instead?

Random
AGEod Veteran

Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:31 pm

The short answer would be "Yes" but doing so may create issues relating to scripted events in the Med regarding the German Mediterranean Division.

Adding Goeben to the Units.csv file is easy, just save the original file somewhere safe and edit the Moltke unit entry from:

GER_BC_Moltke;-;-;Moltke;UT_NavalSquadron;GER;67;0;-;NE_German;-;-;-;-;NST_Battlecruiser;-;-;-;8;-;-;-;8;2;2;-;-;-;-;8;8;5;5;RT_LongRange;RT_LongRange;"Moltke;Seydlitz";1;

to

GER_BC_Moltke;-;-;Moltke;UT_NavalSquadron;GER;67;0;-;NE_German;-;-;-;-;NST_Battlecruiser;-;-;-;8;-;-;-;8;2;2;-;-;-;-;8;8;5;5;RT_LongRange;RT_LongRange;"Moltke;[color="#008000"]Goeben[/color];Seydlitz";1;

However now you have to disable the Goeben events otherwise you will have two Goeben's, one in the Med and the other in the North Sea. Since history does not seem to matter at all, you may wish to go with this but just deleting scripted events may have unforeseen consequences. The events in question are:

[color="#FF0000"]GER_005 Goeben battlecruiser seeks refuge in Constantinople[/color] and [color="#FF0000"]GER_006 Goeben battlecruiser takes refuge in Pola.[/color]

Although these events are not linked to subsequent events, just deleting them (after saving the original) should do no harm (subject to testing); the Turkish Yavuz unit should not appear nor with the Goeben unit join the Austrian navy when the game is run.

This is offered with no guarantees, it should work in a game context in that it should cause no crashes or lockups or prevent other events from firing. Calvinus can confirm that just deleting events will not effect subsequent events since I have edited events but never deleted any.

hellfirejet
Corporal

Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:22 pm

Thanks for feedback on this,I suppose as long as you always backup the originals,altering stuff is just a matter of trial and error,I was hoping to add alot more ships to the fleets,but I don't think the game reflects all the actual ships that served,if memory serve each battlefleet squadron of the High Seas Fleet comprised round about 10 ships,but the games squadron only hold 5 max I believe,I was toying with an idea of Germany having a fleet in the med,comprised off Goeben & Breslau along with the ships of the other overseas squadrons,ie Von Spee etc,just an idea.

Random
AGEod Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:50 pm

hellfirejet wrote:Thanks for feedback on this,I suppose as long as you always backup the originals,altering stuff is just a matter of trial and error,I was hoping to add alot more ships to the fleets,but I don't think the game reflects all the actual ships that served,if memory serve each battlefleet squadron of the High Seas Fleet comprised round about 10 ships,but the games squadron only hold 5 max I believe,I was toying with an idea of Germany having a fleet in the med,comprised off Goeben & Breslau along with the ships of the other overseas squadrons,ie Von Spee etc,just an idea.

Actually, if you take each capital ship unit as a division (generally 3-5 ships) rather than a squadron then the organization is reasonably accurate. I modded the naval aspects pretty extensively, those files can be found above and below this post (shameless plug...)

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?23964-Naval-Mods-and-Generic-Mod-Enabler

Check out the fix for the Battleships to Turkey event:

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?24753-Battleships-to-Turkey-Event-Fix

Once you understand how WW1G loads game and scenario files, adding a sizable German presence in the Med is very easy. You can add new fleets as well, I have added additional squadron units and fleets to the Japanese, Russian, Austrian, Italian and US navies for the campaigns.

In the stock game the HSF is essentially invincible but if modding it to make it even stronger is what floats your boat, have fun with it.

Return to “WW1 mods and modding”