Random
AGEod Veteran

Moving and adding detachments to scenarios

Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:47 pm

Now that the latest patch is complete (Many Thanks for that by the way), I was looking to making minor deployment changes to the 4-Player Grand Campaign.

I tried editing the detachments.csv file to add the South Africa infantry unit to the South Africa box and move one of the Black units from the British Africa box to the Nigeria box. The aim is to prevent the German AI from conquoring all Africa from the British Empire, something that happens with depressing frequency it seems.

For some reason Line 559 in the detachment.csv file from the 4-player scenario folder appears to indicate that light infantry unit Black3 should be in Nigeria but it never seems to be there when the scenario starts.

I have M$Exel and Open Office Calc and have successfully modded similar files in other games but am obviously doing something wrong here since I have been entirely unsuccessful so far.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

calvinus

Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:55 am

Very strange, probably a bug! Does it happen also if you change the previous row #558? :bonk:

Random
AGEod Veteran

Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:38 pm

calvinus wrote:Very strange, probably a bug! Does it happen also if you change the previous row #558? :bonk:

Thanks for the reply, Calvinus. I realize you have much on your plate and I really do appreciate the care and attention you lavish on this game.

Here is the text from Line #559 of the 4-player campaign Detachments.csv:

ENG_50_b 650016 Det L - 16 DT_LandDetachment ENG LDS_Static NIGERIA_BOX {ENG_Black3_345;0;1;0}

From what I can tell, it should be working and placing Black 3 in Nigeria but does not appear to do so.

Line #558 correctly places Black 1 and Black 2 in the English Africa box:

ENG_50_a 650015 Det L - 15 DT_LandDetachment ENG LDS_Static ENGLISH_AFRICA_BOX {ENG_Black1_345;0;1;0},{ENG_Black2_345;0;1;0}

No one else has noticed this?

Figured that the text below might add the South African unit to the initial deployment but have not yet tried it out. Would inserting it as Line#560 do the trick or should it go after the last entry as Line#604?
ENG_50_c 650017 Det L - 17 DT_LandDetachment ENG LDS_Static SOUTH_AFRICA_BOX {ENG_I S.African_564;0;1;0}

Without knowing the ID numbering conventions and whether line placement in the .csv files is relevant, I have not yet attempted to add the South Africa infantry unit to the South Africa box, preferably locked there until September or October 1914.

calvinus

Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:28 am

Ok I figured the cause!

The Id 650016 of the detachment is not present in the Nations.xls/csv DB! It's to be placed in the column "Independent Detachments", in the cell correponding to ENG.

calvinus

Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:45 am

calvinus wrote:Ok I figured the cause!

The Id 650016 of the detachment is not present in the Nations.xls/csv DB! It's to be placed in the column "Independent Detachments", in the cell correponding to ENG.

Fixed in the next patch.

Thanks,
Calvinus.

Random
AGEod Veteran

Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:21 pm

Thank you, sir!

Edit
Tried editing the Nations.csv file to add the detachment in Nigeria but game crashed to desktop when the Loading Scenario bar was doing its thing with the edited file.

Cannot find the error and it is very frustrating to repeatedly miss some detail after multiple checks to ensure all formatting is in line with the original file. Expended several hours on this today so now will wait for the next patch.

Restored the original files and all is well; except for the British Empire in Africa...

Panama Red
Lieutenant

Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:23 pm

Random:
Since you found out that your problem is in the file editor, will you be posting these updated mod files too ???

Random
AGEod Veteran

Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:57 am

Panama Red wrote:Random:
Since you found out that your problem is in the file editor, will you be posting these updated mod files too ???

Naval files come first and the Nigeria garrison issue should be fixed next patch. As a stopgap a French colonial unit from West Africa can cover off Nigeria and an Indian unit from British India can make it to South Africa using sea movement in time to head off or meet the German invasion from South West Africa. Niether historical nor ideal but has to do for now.

Return to “WW1 mods and modding”