06 Maestro
General

Schlieffen Plan (Gold)

Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:27 am

As the Gold version of WW1 is approaching completion, I thought Ageod could use a Beta AAR player. I was happy to volunteer for that duty. I have had it installed for a day and it is more than ready to be shown in an AAR-so here goes one more Schlieffen Plan. I chose this plan as it is easier for readers to compare how the game stacks up with the historical actions. It is not the easiest way for the CP to attempt to achieve victory.

This will be a picture heavy AAR. I will try to point out the differences between the two versions as I come across those. The primary objective is still to give an understandable account of how the war developed using this game.

I am using some new picture editing software-so bare with me until I get a feel for its proper adjustments.

The colors I use in any drawings should be consistent; red will be for the front lines and enemy attacks/movements and blue will be for friendly attacks/movements. There may be a need for an occasional shading, but it should be obvious as to what/why.

The preliminary setup and orders have been issued. All the starting situations will be posted. The following battles and developments will be added asap. I hope to play through several turns per week-and post accordingly.

Please feel free to make comments or ask questions as the aar unfolds.

The first screenshot is of the game options I chose for this scenario. I prefer the 3D markers as those are easier for me to see than the soldier icon. NATO markers are fine also, but just so, um, old fashion. :) One thing I checked which some may overlook is the precise unit routing. The game seems to take the shortest route of left to its own means-this is not always the best. By checking that one box, you will be able to choose a route through several provinces without the route changing against you wishes.
[ATTACH]10858[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Game Options.jpg

06 Maestro
General

Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:30 am

This is the basic Schlieffen Plan along with a couple of options.

It seems like a good idea to choose the high moral option giving 5 points in moral for the Army. The second choice is somewhat more difficult. In this case I chose the "accrued mobilization". This gives 5 extra reserve corps-4 for the east and one to the west. This seems to be a prudent thing to choose if using the Schlieffen Plan. There are a couple of bold Russian plans that, if chosen by the ai, could make things very difficult for the German player.

Note that both the A/H flag and the German Empire's flag are present in this dialog. It is possible to switch back and forth between the 2 Empires without having to navigate on the map.

[ATTACH]10859[/ATTACH]

For the same reason as choosing the Schlieffen Plan, I choose the Conrade Plan for A/H. There will be no spectacular beginning of hostilities for the A/H Empire. It is possible they can achieve some good success, but it will most likely be because of good luck. The second Army will arrive in late August opening up some operational options. Too bad by that time the Russian Army will be in full swing.

I again chose the "Good Moral" option for A/H. As they are already in a less than stellar situation, I went with the "Events" option to aid in the cause in a general way.

[ATTACH]10860[/ATTACH]
Attachments
A-H Plans.jpg
German War Plans.jpg

06 Maestro
General

Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:35 am

The CP starts off with 7 events. The random events were certainly not the best, but those will do.
There is not much of real use for assisting in the 1914 campaign other than Naval Codes. This will enable the HSF to conduct a few raids on the English coast-hopefully without running into trouble.

[ATTACH]10875[/ATTACH]

Gaining of extra diplomats early in the game is important-thus the following choice.
[ATTACH]10876[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Diplomacy Event.jpg
Starting Events.jpg

06 Maestro
General

Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:43 am

The diplomat assignment dialog has been modified so you can control all of your sides diplomats from the one screen. This is a nice improvement-not only does it shave a couple minutes off the task, but it allowed those of us without machine like memories to better concentrate diplomatic efforts.

I have chosen to concentrate German diplomats on gaining intervention by the Ottoman Empire. A/H diplomats are going into Bulgaria to be ready to conduct a mission. A few have been added to Romania (hoping to delay a TE side entry) and Italy. There is no hope of getting Italy into the CP, but its entry into the T.E. can be delayed-the more, the better.

[ATTACH]10863[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Diplomats Assignments.jpg

06 Maestro
General

Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:53 am

The A/H Empire does not have huge resources available to start unit construction, but something can be done over and above the normal mobilization tables. Assuming that the economy can expand allowing for a good surplus of shell, then some new artillery will be added later on.
[ATTACH]10868[/ATTACH]

Germany starts off with some decent shell production, so one new artillery unit was ordered right at the outset. It will still take util the following June to deploy it, but the cost is the same.

The shell production will become cheaper as the economy shifts to wartime production. This will leave additional economic points (EP) available for unit builds, or shipyard builds.

[ATTACH]10869[/ATTACH]
Attachments
German Munitions.jpg
Austrian Builds.jpg

Comtedemeighan
Brigadier General

Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:44 am

Cool a gold AAR :thumbsup:
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem - By the Sword We Seek Peace, But Peace Only Under Liberty
-Massachusetts state motto-

"The army is the true nobility of our country."
-Napoleon III-

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:31 pm

I don't see a "precise unit routing", but I do see a "movement filter accuracy" option. Are they the same?
The attachments in post #3 are appearing as links instead of images.
Other than those technical issues, looks good! Glory to the Kaiser!

06 Maestro
General

Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:45 am

enf91 wrote:I don't see a "precise unit routing", but I do see a "movement filter accuracy" option. Are they the same?

Yes-that is what I meant. The correct words were on the tip of my nose or someplace other than where those should have been.

enf91 wrote:The attachments in post #3 are appearing as links instead of images.
Other than those technical issues, looks good! Glory to the Kaiser!

Yes, I noticed that about the attachments, but I was running on overtime-I'll fix it today.

I shall do my utmost for the Kaiser.

06 Maestro
General

Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:49 am

Even though the Ottoman Empire has joined the CP already, the Goeben Task Force made its way into Pola. This means that it will henceforth be part of the A/H Navy. Just how this will work out I'm not sure as I have not had this happen before in an opening I played out. The A/H Navy already has some good ships-this will make for some interesting situations in the Mediterranean. [ATTACH]10877[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Goeben TF.jpg

06 Maestro
General

Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:51 am

Germany will be attempting to improve the war economy, increase conscription and a few other little things in the near future.
[ATTACH]10879[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Political Actions.jpg

06 Maestro
General

Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:55 am

The Schlieffen Plan starts off with all German Armies locked except the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Armies.

The first Army will advance through the Maastrich area (really just skirting the frontier, I'm sure :) ) It will advance just short of Brussels then move to the west of the city towards France.

The second Army's main body will advance into Liege while a corp (with reserves available) will advance on Namur. Namur should fall easily and there will be a further push into Brussels by the same corp. Success of this is not quite guaranteed, but there is a good chance of success.

The 3rd Army will advance westward into Belgium before turning south to cross the river at Dinant. Depending on the French Plan, this may not work out as planned-initially. In late August, the 4th Army will support this drive into north western France.
[ATTACH]10881[/ATTACH]
Attachments
West Front 8-14.jpg

06 Maestro
General

Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:58 am

The reorganizations tasks are quite a bit easier. I used the new dialog box for this rather simple task of separating one cavalry division. Later on, this will become much more important. You can change unit assignments with this new tool-sending divisions to other armies.

[ATTACH]10882[/ATTACH]
Attachments
1st Army Reorg.jpg

06 Maestro
General

Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:05 am

The German 8th Army in East Prussia is locked, but I still gave it an intercept order-we shall see how that works-depending on the Russian plans adopted.

Actually, I can see the red flags on the Russian detachments. This means they have marching orders. Things will heat up in East Prussia very soon.

06 Maestro
General

Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:06 am

Turkey has been successfully brought in to the CP. They will begin by launching an attack into Kars as soon as the army can be massed.

06 Maestro
General

Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:43 am

The UK has not yet declared war, however, Turkish forces are moving south in anticipation of the conflict in Palestine.

06 Maestro
General

Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:43 am

Thracia is quiet for now, but there are some good defenses already there-and more to come.

06 Maestro
General

Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:44 am

The A/H Russian Front looks rather empty at this time. Russian Armies will show up soon enough.

06 Maestro
General

Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:44 am

Likewise, the Serbian Army seems to be mostly invisible at this time. Before this month is over, there will be plenty of Serbian divisions to fight.

In accordance with the Conrad Plan A/H forces are immobile in Early August. In late August the 5th Army will advance on Belgrade.

Clovis

Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:09 pm

Great map!

Great new interface tweaks !

Now waiting anxiously about AI behaviour....
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Lannes
Major

Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:27 pm

Great ARR, thanks the map is very nice now.

06 Maestro
General

Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:50 pm

Yes, the map is really nice. We will soon see the ai responses to various threats. Offensive actions are pending...

Lannes
Major

Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:00 pm

but the core game is not the same of the old version ?

Fastsnake
Major

Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:47 pm

It is the same game, just slightly enhanced. :)

06 Maestro
General

Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:55 am

Lannes wrote:but the core game is not the same of the old version ?

The Rules? I think so. However, there is a differnet feel to the game. The interface can account for much of that, but the ai seems to fight battles smarter-not killing off its force in big battles-like it knows when to withdraw.

I need to play it some more to make a better comparison. At this time I would say that Gold is considerably better.

Lannes
Major

Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:19 am

ok maestro thanks for your response

06 Maestro
General

Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:06 am

August '14

The Italian theater is quiet, but large A/H forces must be left there. There are some elite mt divisions here-too bad they must be left in the area doing nothing. They can move, but it would be riskey to do so.

06 Maestro
General

Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:07 am

Aug '14

The Turk Army has made very good time in moving south into Palestine. On lite corps has moved by rail all the way to Aqaba. The main body of the 4th Army is organizing around Jaffa. Some units will need to remain in the rear along the coast as a precaution with the British.

06 Maestro
General

Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:07 am

It did not take long for the English to enter the war-nor to start harassing the Ottoman Empire with the Royal Navy.

06 Maestro
General

Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:08 am

Aug '14

This is a better view of the situation in East and West Prussia. Keep in mind that there may be additional Russian forces that have not been identified by German intelligence. There is cause to have some concern about the current war plan.

06 Maestro
General

Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:09 am

Aug 14
Georgian Front

The Ottoman 3rd Army is making headway in moving to attack positions for the planed assault on Kars. If all goes well, the attack will be launched in late August, but it will be without the corp which is already on the border.

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18 AARs”