pnzrgrndr
Civilian

Lots of CTD's...help please!

Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:57 am

I bought this game on an old computer many years ago and enjoyed it, but when I tried to install it on the new one it's crashing to desktop seemingly random but often enough that it happens within one or two turns, especially if there is combat. The CTD just says windows has an error and closes, no info otherwise. I have attached dxdiag. What other files might help? This is a clean install, in a folder other than program files, no mods. I did the right click "run as administrator", UAC is off, and I don't have antivirus running. Are there any other files that might help diagnose this? I'm running windows 10, and version 1.08q of WWIG.

The only other clue that might help is I got this message while installing - invalid regkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Matrix Games\World War One Gold. Not sure what it means or if its related, but it let me just close it and keep right on installing. That error came up after the temp files were unpacked.
Attachments

[The extension txt has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Random
AGEod Veteran

Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:55 am

Disclaimer, I'm no computer or Windows wizard but...

Is WW1G installed in Windows Program files or Program Files (x86) folder? If Yes, suggest that you uninstall, clean the registry (using a utility like CC Cleaner) and then reinstall directly into a letter drive as in: C:\World War One Gold

Also ensure that you running the game as an Administrator in the new installation.

In my experience, sometimes older programs that extensively write to their directory have issues in later Windows operating systems when installed in either Program Files folder even if the installer points there by default. I run WW1G on a Win-7 laptop directly from the E:\ drive of a partitioned H-D with few significant issues but with that said, I still save every turn and seldom attempt more than three consecutive turns without exiting the program and re-starting where I left off.

Good Luck.

-C

pnzrgrndr
Civilian

Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:01 am

I did install it to the c:\ageod folder and same thing. CTD within one or two turns. Sometimes even in the war plans phase, causing me to believe maybe its when the computer picks one of the possible choices. If it gets past war plans, it will crash usually on Aug 14 turn.

Random
AGEod Veteran

Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:26 pm

Not having Win-10 I have nothing else to offer, sorry. Am still running Win-7 (where WW1G runs well) and have read nothing positive about attempting to run older games in Win-10 even in an emulation mode.

-C

Durk

Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:10 am

What I did to get the game to run more smoothly (I was not Win 10 but Win 7 at the time) was to use the compatibility feature of Win 10. I think I backed up to Vista. But the other thing you can do, just exit the game each turn. This resets all the data fields which may be hanging you up.

06 Maestro
General

Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:22 am

pnzrgrndr wrote:I bought this game on an old computer many years ago and enjoyed it, but when I tried to install it on the new one it's crashing to desktop seemingly random but often enough that it happens within one or two turns, especially if there is combat. The CTD just says windows has an error and closes, no info otherwise. I have attached dxdiag. What other files might help? This is a clean install, in a folder other than program files, no mods. I did the right click "run as administrator", UAC is off, and I don't have antivirus running. Are there any other files that might help diagnose this? I'm running windows 10, and version 1.08q of WWIG.

The only other clue that might help is I got this message while installing - invalid regkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Matrix Games\World War One Gold. Not sure what it means or if its related, but it let me just close it and keep right on installing. That error came up after the temp files were unpacked.

With a new PC build running Window's 10, I ran into the same issue of crashing--but not even getting through one turn. After tinkering with graphics for a while, to no avail, I changed some WW1 configuration settings. I shut off loading full map and loading all sounds. Here is a shot of the configuration dialog.[ATTACH]39220[/ATTACH]

Hopefully that will help in your situation.
I should add that this fixed my crashes :)
Attachments
WW1 Con.png

Return to “WW1 Technical support / Aide technique”