Stauffenberg
General

Mouse problem makes game unplayable

Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:05 pm

Well I am afraid I have a similar issue to other people here and, at the outset, do forgive my not having read everything on this forum pertaining to mouse issues first. I read what seemed to be the most pertinent threads, in particular the thread by CrazyIvan. So here we go:

The game loads up fairly quickly and everything seems to be working fine except for the mouse. It's jerky, feels like the refresh rate is off or something. Specifically: left click drag and drop function repeated fails, rendering the game unplayable.

I have Windows 7, 2 GB RAM, MD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+, 2411 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT w/ 1 GB mem. 39 GB free disk space.

I currently have UAC off, run with no other programs running. I am not able to find any WWI exe specifically for single core in any of the WWI directories.

I will keep reading other threads but I guess I was hoping for a quick fix to get this up and running if anyone has any insights. It looks to be a superb game and I am looking forward to getting into it.

Thanks,

Stauf

Panama Red
Lieutenant

Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:46 pm

There is no specific "single core.exe", it is a ".bat" file that tells the PC to only use a single core when playing this game. You have to "execute" the ."bat" file, and it in turn executes the WW1.exe program.

You only need to use this ".bat" file if your PC speed is less that the minimum required in the game specs.

Stauffenberg
General

Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:46 pm

Panama Red wrote:There is no specific "single core.exe", it is a ".bat" file that tells the PC to only use a single core when playing this game. You have to "execute" the ."bat" file, and it in turn executes the WW1.exe program.

You only need to use this ".bat" file if your PC speed is less that the minimum required in the game specs.

Ok thanks... any other ideas?

Panama Red
Lieutenant

Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:49 pm

As for the mouse problem, it has been discussed many time in the past on this forum. But since I do not have that problem, I do not remember what the solution was.

Random
AGEod Veteran

Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:24 pm

Stauffenberg wrote:Ok thanks... any other ideas?

I suppose adjusting the mouse-sensitivity slider in the configurator had no effect?

I had minor mouse issues until tweaking that slider but you do not mention if doing so had any effect on your problem.

Stauffenberg
General

Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:20 pm

Random wrote:I suppose adjusting the mouse-sensitivity slider in the configurator had no effect?

I had minor mouse issues until tweaking that slider but you do not mention if doing so had any effect on your problem.

Yes actually that got rid of a fair amount of the jerkiness, but the main problem with the left click drag and drop function remains the same. I can actually play the game but it requires doing it over and over to finally drop a unit where I want it to go. I'll have to read the forum some more today--I don't suppose there are mouse software compatibility problems with this game?

calvinus

Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:01 pm

Some calculations are done when the left mouse drag is started, but only when started. Also, mouse jerkiness should be somehow generic and not only only when left dragging, as reported by all Win7 users... My advice is to launch the game in single core mode, as suggested by other players, if not yet done.

Stauffenberg
General

Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:19 pm

calvinus wrote:Some calculations are done when the left mouse drag is started, but only when started. Also, mouse jerkiness should be somehow generic and not only only when left dragging, as reported by all Win7 users... My advice is to launch the game in single core mode, as suggested by other players, if not yet done.

Red Panama said:
"There is no specific "single core.exe", it is a ".bat" file that tells the PC to only use a single core when playing this game. You have to "execute" the ."bat" file, and it in turn executes the WW1.exe program.
You only need to use this ".bat" file if your PC speed is less that the minimum required in the game specs."

My PC speed is above the minimum, but in any case, judging by the screenshot posted by Franciscus in the CrazyIvan thread showing a specific 1 core launch available in the game directory--I don't have it. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate.

How do you launch in single core mode with Windows 7?

Panama Red
Lieutenant

Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:25 pm

If you look inside the ".bat" file you will see that it tells the PC to run this game as a single core. I know because I have to use this ".bat" file on my other PC, a less powerful Win7 laptop that is below the minimum specs, to play WW1 Gold.

In fact, if you edit the ".bat" file, you can use it for any other game that runs better on a single core versus multiple cores.

Panama Red

Stauffenberg
General

Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:41 pm

Thanks for that; however, I tried that and things are the same--completely mucked up mouse action. You can drag a line of march out from the unit with unit silhouette but attempting to drop it in a destination causes it all to disappear with no movement command entered. Moving units into reserve does not result in the actual unit disappearing from the main force, even though the text indicates it has moved. It won't actually remove itself visually until you open the reserve box. All of which makes it unplayable.

Other ideas welcome.

Panama Red
Lieutenant

Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:49 pm

Making the game run in single core mode only makes it not "jerk" as you scroll across the page if your base speed is below the specs and you have a multicore PC that runs faster in a single core mode.

As for fixing the mouse problem, I have not remember anything about the single core mode solving that problem.

Stauffenberg
General

Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:39 pm

I emailed Philippe Thibaut about this problem a few days ago; hopefully I will hear from him at some point.

calvinus

Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:05 pm

To launch the game in single CPU mode you should navigate the Win menu as follows:

Start menu of Windows > World War One Gold > World War One (single core)

Stauffenberg
General

Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:35 pm

calvinus wrote:To launch the game in single CPU mode you should navigate the Win menu as follows:

Start menu of Windows > World War One Gold > World War One (single core)

Yes I've tried that repeatedly to no avail, although it is not listed as World War One (single core) in the directory at all, but as an unidentified batch file. I think that's what it is--there's nothing else that will load up the game, but using this batch file took an extraordinary amount of time to simply load up a small tutorial (around 20 mins to initialize the map).

I just tried reinstalling DivX and I notice an improvement--at least the game is somewhat playable, but the basic problem persists: left mouse click and drag function has to be repeated 3-5 times on average before the silhouetted unit image can be made to move, either on the main map or the battle map. I've adjusted in options mouse movement to get rid of jerkiness scrolling etc, but the *feel* of the mouse here is sloppy and does not inspire confidence.

Surely there is a log of mouse compatibility issues tested before this game was released? My system has pretty good specs and is your basic vanilla platform out here--it can run any Total War title on any screen setting for example.

I have to say this is the second issue I have found with AGEOD releases, the first being a strange game save function in the American Civil War interface that relates to my using Windows 7 somehow, I gather. The gentleman assisting me with that disappeared (with all his posts) and so I will have to sort that out as well; however, at least ACW is playable--this game is not. But let me hasten to add that both games are clearly real gems--the notoriously difficult to sim ACW in particular.

-Stauf

calvinus

Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:00 am

What does happen if you first select the stack on the map and then you drag with the mouse button pressed (be sure you start dragging from the core stack position) ?

Stauffenberg
General

Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:42 pm

calvinus wrote:What does happen if you first select the stack on the map and then you drag with the mouse button pressed (be sure you start dragging from the core stack position) ?

It doesn't matter what "technique" I use--it takes repeated clicks to select, to drag, and to drop. It's easier to get a unit to plot its movement on the main map than it is to move unit tiles around on the battle map.

As well, on the battle map the splitting off of cavalry function shown in Tutorial 2 does not work as indicated. No matter what you do, you cannot get the two separate cavalry units to merge as one unit on the map (i.e. the pop up menu that is supposed to appear to ask you about merging, doesn't). Clicking a unit to go into reserve using the arrows will not send the unit there immediately--it will only disappear when you select the reserve box... and all of this takes repeated clicks to effect in any case.

Stauffenberg
General

Still no solution

Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:52 pm

Just to keep this thread au courrant, I have not been able to solve the mouse issue described above, and a few weeks after buying the game it is still unplayable. I am sure there is a fairly simple solution, perhaps as simple as changing my mouse and software for it, but I have not attempted that yet (too busy with a pbem game of ACW).

I still haven't heard from Philippe Thibault about this--probably vacation time.

So, any new ideas are welcome on this.

Stauf

calvinus

Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:00 pm

To be honest, I'm puzzled like you. For Win7, somebody suggested to activate the Windows option "Disable desktop composition" and to run the game in WinXP compatibility mode (SP2 or 3). Have you tried this?

I don't believe it's a matter of mouse driver, unless you have some weird optical mouse (I recall somebody dropped that kind of mouse because almost not compatible with WW1, matter of 2 years ago anyway).

Stauffenberg
General

Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:52 pm

calvinus wrote:To be honest, I'm puzzled like you. For Win7, somebody suggested to activate the Windows option "Disable desktop composition" and to run the game in WinXP compatibility mode (SP2 or 3). Have you tried this?

I don't believe it's a matter of mouse driver, unless you have some weird optical mouse (I recall somebody dropped that kind of mouse because almost not compatible with WW1, matter of 2 years ago anyway).

Thanks for that, it does make things better and in fact I can see the game would be pragmatically playable; however, it still often requires multiple clicks to drag and drop at times, and the fact that the sub unit split off does not work as advertised, indicates there is some serious issue affecting the mouse function here (when you try to link up the two cavalry units in Tutorial #2 the pop-up that is mentioned fails to appear and the units remain separate throughout the tutorial).

Apart from that, the entire feel of the mouse in the game just feels loose and inexact, even having adjusted mouse performance etc. I use a cordless mouse and have never had any issues with it before--I will try another mouse soon but that has to be a long-shot.
Quite frustrating this.

Random
AGEod Veteran

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:16 pm

Strangely my wife gave me a new wireless mouse but my machine had some issues with it, more so in some programs than in others. By far the worst offender was WW1G which, exhibited symptoms like those described but it never occurred to me to post here because I'm running Win XP on a computer inferior to Stauffenberg's.

Replacing the new wireless with an equally new USB mouse restored the status quo.

Cannot come up with a mechanism for what could cause such a conflict but the coincidence seems mighty odd.

calvinus

Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:24 am

Ouch, I wrote wrong. I referred to wireless mouse indeed, not optical ones. Sorry...

Stauffenberg
General

Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:10 pm

Random wrote:Strangely my wife gave me a new wireless mouse but my machine had some issues with it, more so in some programs than in others. By far the worst offender was WW1G which, exhibited symptoms like those described but it never occurred to me to post here because I'm running Win XP on a computer inferior to Stauffenberg's.

Replacing the new wireless with an equally new USB mouse restored the status quo.

Cannot come up with a mechanism for what could cause such a conflict but the coincidence seems mighty odd.

I had hoped your idea might provide a quick fix, but in fact the optical mouse (with cord) I used saw the game lock up in a black screen after the Ageod logo appeared, so it's back to square 1. Surely it can't all ride upon using an old track ball mouse as opposed to optical?

In any case, the game is all *there* on the screen, loaded up and functioning, but this irritatingly sloppy mouse action makes it impossible to play. I can't remember when the last time a disfunctional mouse action prevented game play, but it's what I have here.

Still no reply to emails to Phillippe Thibault on this issue--new ideas still welcome!

Stauf

Franciscus

Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:54 pm

Black screen ?

There are 2 known reasons in WW1:

- it may be caused by the intro movie. Try to disable it.

- it may be caused by the sound. Try to disable music and sound.

You can change these settings in the WW1 configurator.

Regards

calvinus

Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:17 am

Stauffenberg wrote:I had hoped your idea might provide a quick fix, but in fact the optical mouse (with cord) I used saw the game lock up in a black screen after the Ageod logo appeared, so it's back to square 1. Surely it can't all ride upon using an old track ball mouse as opposed to optical?

In any case, the game is all *there* on the screen, loaded up and functioning, but this irritatingly sloppy mouse action makes it impossible to play. I can't remember when the last time a disfunctional mouse action prevented game play, but it's what I have here.

In my post I wrote wrongly "optical" in place of "wireless". Optical mouse should generate no problems with WW1.

The black screen can be caused by:
  • the DivX codec not installed (so no intro movie, hit the Esc key or disable the intro playback), or
  • the game hang when loading / initialising (are you sure you're playing with UAC off and PC Administrator priviledges), or
  • a sound card drivers compatibility issue (like Franciscus, try to to disable sounds)

Stauffenberg wrote:Still no reply to emails to Phillippe Thibault on this issue--new ideas still welcome!

Philippe can give you support on commercial issues, not technical problems. I'm the person in charge of this. ;)
And this forum is the best place where to find such support. :love:

nemesisuk
Civilian

Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:30 pm

I have problems with the mouse once I start playing the game (not in the menu screen), and I use an optical mouse. I also run winXP on a single core 3gighertz pc. The game is so unplayable. I have never had this sort of issue on a windows game before. I have come across it when running some old DOS games through DOSBOX, but these can be overcome.
It has really rendered this game useless, and it really does put me off buying anymore AGEOD games :(

helm123
Private

Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:34 am

nemesisuk wrote:I have problems with the mouse once I start playing the game (not in the menu screen), and I use an optical mouse. I also run winXP on a single core 3gighertz pc. The game is so unplayable. I have never had this sort of issue on a windows game before. I have come across it when running some old DOS games through DOSBOX, but these can be overcome.
It has really rendered this game useless, and it really does put me off buying anymore AGEOD games :(

Have you tried increasing the mouse sensitivity under configure game (same place you enter your serial). I'm running WIN7 and have it set at 75%-85% (to the right) and the mouse seems fine.

calvinus

Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:39 am

Please try latest official patch 1.08Q, as it fixed many performance issues. I believe you'll discover some good news. :)
Visit my other games at : http://www.calvinusgames.com

Jeffchrisope
Conscript

Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:50 pm

I certainly saw an improvement with 1.08Q. Running it on my new Surface Pro it rips along nicely, even when it's driving a much larger monitor. Good stuff!

Return to “WW1 Technical support / Aide technique”