bubsy88
Civilian

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:57 am

I to had been growing quite frustrated with slow gameplay in this little gem of a game. Have so far played around 20 hours at a grueling slow pace and was close to giving up. Your advise about starting the game in singlecore mode worked like a charm. It now runs like it was intended.
I must say I am impressed with the support for this game. Questions are beeing answered fast and correctly, patches are released to resolve problem. The staff are courteous and friendly.

Thank you for resolving my problem, and please relay my thanks to all the developers for this game. I have enjoyed it highly.

Kind regards

Bubsy

jadam
Private

Game is unplayably slow

Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:11 pm

Hi,

I've just bought this game but it runs unplayably slow. Scrolling is very very slow, single core mode does not work (maybe because I have XP), my computer is quite good: quad core 3.2ghz phenom, 4gb ram, 1gb video ram gfx card, etc.

I tried locking full screen in the configuration, but it could not even start the game, and i have 1.08l installed.

Please help me to make this game playable for me, as it seems very interesting.

Thanks,
Adam.

calvinus

Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:01 am

Hello Adam,

Single code option does not work with XP, yes. So be sure you're logged in with PC Administrator priviledges (and you installed the game with such priviledges too).

Also, check the antivirus and configure it making WW1.EXE a trusted application.

Finally, consider the game is normally very very slow when AI is thinking, almost locked. When finished, instead, the game should work fine. Is this your case?

Thanks,
Calvinus.

jadam
Private

Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:42 pm

calvinus wrote:Hello Adam,

Single code option does not work with XP, yes. So be sure you're logged in with PC Administrator priviledges (and you installed the game with such priviledges too).

Also, check the antivirus and configure it making WW1.EXE a trusted application.

Finally, consider the game is normally very very slow when AI is thinking, almost locked. When finished, instead, the game should work fine. Is this your case?

Thanks,
Calvinus.

Hi,

I just fired up the 1st tutorial. I don't know if the AI was thinking or not. Does the resolution matter much in this case? Do you have any other idea?

calvinus

Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:47 pm

AI does no activity in Tutorials, unless during battles. What is the resolution? (Anyway I don't think it's a matter of resolution...)
Be sure you're the PC Admin, that the game has been installed and is running with PC Admin priviledges and that no Anti-Virus is slowing down the game. Check also the CPU and RAM usage of other resident programs.

jadam
Private

Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:55 pm

calvinus wrote:AI does no activity in Tutorials, unless during battles. What is the resolution? (Anyway I don't think it's a matter of resolution...)
Be sure you're the PC Admin, that the game has been installed and is running with PC Admin priviledges and that no Anti-Virus is slowing down the game. Check also the CPU and RAM usage of other resident programs.

Thanks for your assistance.

Actually I tried running as administrator, and it did not do any difference. My native resolution is 1600*900, but even on lower resolutions its the same. The menu has around 60 fps, while the tutorial has less than 5 fps...

I have no running antivirus, not even any installed anti virus and I tried closing all the running programs except firefox, it did not help...

jadam
Private

Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:56 pm

calvinus wrote:AI does no activity in Tutorials, unless during battles. What is the resolution? (Anyway I don't think it's a matter of resolution...)

Thanks for your assistance.

Actually I tried running as administrator, and it did not do any difference. My native resolution is 1600*900, but even on lower resolutions its the same. The menu has around 60 fps, while the tutorial has less than 5 fps...

I have no running antivirus, not even any installed anti virus and I tried closing all the running programs except firefox, it did not help...

Edit: Also actually even 1 core of my CPU is not fully used, only around 80 percent max and the game max uses 15-20, and I seem to have around 1GB free ram when the game is running...

Does loading the full map at startup help, what do you think?

jadam
Private

Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:06 pm

Also what is exaclty "display game map of gold edition" and is it needed? And what is AI memory and AI log in the configuration settings?

I also noticed that in the configuration screen it says that my security level is 3 (slow), what does it mean? I can't change it though there... Is it the fact that I have to run it as admin? But I tried and it did not change anything...

Adam.

Random
AGEod Veteran

Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:15 pm

The Gold Edition Map features a conventional North at the top map orientation. As published the original WW1 map was oriented differently. Checking this box should make no difference to the scroll speed an frame rate in my experience.

Using "AI Logs" slows down combat resolution and AI movement in my experience and I only use it when testing mods. Have noted no performance issues checking "AI Memory" but do not use "Allow AI Full Time" in the ingame options menu as, in my experience anyway, it causes the game to hang.

Checking the "Load all maps at start" will increase game load times but I have found it to smooth scrolling particularly when initially moving to an area on the map for the first time in a session.

No idea what a 3 security level is in the game but it's what my configuration shows too.

I would not use "Lock full screen mode" My CPU is less powerful than yours and runs at 1600 x 900 just fine. Can you configure your graphics card to allow the game to control its own graphics? I had to tweak my NVIDIA 8600GT configuration slightly to allow the game 100% control as an application.

I hope you can get it to run to your satisfaction and discover that WW1G is a gem of a strategy game. Good Luck.

jadam
Private

Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:22 pm

Random wrote:The Gold Edition Map features a conventional North at the top map orientation. As published the original WW1 map was oriented differently. Checking this box should make no difference to the scroll speed an frame rate in my experience.

Using "AI Logs" slows down combat resolution and AI movement in my experience and I only use it when testing mods. Have noted no performance issues checking "AI Memory" but do not use "Allow AI Full Time" in the ingame options menu as, in my experience anyway, it causes the game to hang.

Checking the "Load all maps at start" will increase game load times but I have found it to smooth scrolling particularly when initially moving to an area on the map for the first time in a session.

No idea what a 3 security level is in the game but it's what my configuration shows too.

I would not use "Lock full screen mode" My CPU is less powerful than yours and runs at 1600 x 900 just fine. Can you configure your graphics card to allow the game to control its own graphics? I had to tweak my NVIDIA 8600GT configuration slightly to allow the game 100% control as an application.

I hope you can get it to run to your satisfaction and discover that WW1G is a gem of a strategy game. Good Luck.

Thanks a lot for your input, indeed this game looks like a gem, I just hope these problems will be solved soon...

What I noticed is that simply the game doesnt use my hardware, my CPU runs on 20% with the game, I have plenty of free memory, yet when the map is loaded the fps goes down to below 5 from around 60 in the menu.

It is indeed very strange...

How did you configure your gfx card to let the application decide about it's own graphics?

Edit: actually that 20% CPU usage means that one core is used almost on full capacity, but even then I have no idea how can the framerate be so very small...

Random
AGEod Veteran

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:11 pm

I'm using WIN XP SP3 as an operating system, are you running Win 7 or Vista? Perhaps there's some OS issues behind your problem?

How did you configure your gfx card to let the application decide about it's own graphics?

In the NVIDIA control panel there is an option to set 3-D settings that allows customizing whether an application uses its own graphic settings or those of your graphics card. I initially had display issues with WW1G but being familiar with tweaking the GFX-8600GT to get maximum performance from FS9, I set all the perimeters for the WW1G executable to "Application Controlled" and the display problems went away. Cannot recall whether there was a frame rate issue though, sorry.

jadam
Private

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:36 pm

Random wrote:I'm using WIN XP SP3 as an operating system, are you running Win 7 or Vista? Perhaps there's some OS issues behind your problem?

In the NVIDIA control panel there is an option to set 3-D settings that allows customizing whether an application uses its own graphic settings or those of your graphics card. I initially had display issues with WW1G but being familiar with tweaking the GFX-8600GT to get maximum performance from FS9, I set all the perimeters for the WW1G executable to "Application Controlled" and the display problems went away. Cannot recall whether there was a frame rate issue though, sorry.

Actually I have WinXP. It might be in connection with the multithreading issue, but even if I alt-tab and set affinity in task manager to just one core it does not really work well... The same lag occures...

For the gfx settings you mentioned, I have them all on application controlled.

jadam
Private

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:57 pm

OK, I tried everything I could,I even set affinity to one,2,3 and 4 cores, made special bat for XP with affinity settings, nothing. Max 3.4-5 fps on avarage...

Really this way it's absolutely unplayable, what a pitty, I was/am looking forward so much to play this game, it looks really interesting.

I have XP3 and all the upgrades installed except .net 3.0 language pack, but really everything else from the windows update site.

I messed around with my gfx card, nothing. I see that sometimes the game is listed as occupying memory in task manager, however sometimes (mostly after alt+tabbing out) there is only around 6 mb reserved memory next to ww1.exe in task manager.

I dl-ed the game (gold edition) from GG where I bought it if that makes any difference.

I'd appreciate some prompt help in this issue...

Thanks,
Adam.

Random
AGEod Veteran

Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:52 pm

If it's any help at all I have nothing but problems (including unacceptable frame rates) with WW1G after Alt-Tabbing out of the application so now I never do it.

Never!

If Windows automatically minimizes the game and returns to the Desktop for any reason I will exit WW1G and restart.

calvinus

Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:11 am

Ok, I'm back after a messed night session of PBEM play-testing... :cuit:

Well, let's see if the lags are caused by RAM consumption and usage of virtual memory.... so try to reduce the VRAM consuption: set "Low color depth" option on, use WW1 Configuration tool. This should reduce the VRAM consuption by 50%.

If the performances do not improve (check also if the led of your HD blinks continuosly, so it means a lot of I/O access on HD), it's surely some resident program that slows down the game executable. So check the Task Manager and kill all suspicious resident processes.

For the Alt-Tab stuff, I use the it always, no problem.. :wacko:

jadam
Private

Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:01 am

calvinus wrote:Ok, I'm back after a messed night session of PBEM play-testing... :cuit:

Well, let's see if the lags are caused by RAM consumption and usage of virtual memory.... so try to reduce the VRAM consuption: set "Low color depth" option on, use WW1 Configuration tool. This should reduce the VRAM consuption by 50%.

If the performances do not improve (check also if the led of your HD blinks continuosly, so it means a lot of I/O access on HD), it's surely some resident program that slows down the game executable. So check the Task Manager and kill all suspicious resident processes.

For the Alt-Tab stuff, I use the it always, no problem.. :wacko:

Just for reference: how many FPS are you getting when AI is not working on avarage?

When I get home I'll try what you've suggested, by VRAM do you mean the virtual memory (aka swap files)? Where should I set it? At windows?

calvinus

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:51 am

I get about 25 FPS.

VRAM = Video RAM. When video RAM is not enough to store the huge game map, virtual ram is used.

Use the Performances tab of the Task Manager to check the virtual ram usage.

jadam
Private

Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:14 am

calvinus wrote:I get about 25 FPS.

VRAM = Video RAM. When video RAM is not enough to store the huge game map, virtual ram is used.

May I ask your computer's specs, as I have ATI radeon HD 5670 gfx card with 1GB dedicated fast video memory which would be strange if it was not enough in my opinion. Maybe there is something sublte problem here...

jadam
Private

Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:21 am

jadam wrote:Just for reference: how many FPS are you getting when AI is not working on avarage?

When I get home I'll try what you've suggested, by VRAM do you mean the virtual memory (aka swap files)? Where should I set it? At windows?

Also I am almost sure it's not a memory issue, on the contrary I see that the game uses less memory than is available, there is no HDD reading (or very little) after loading and there is more than 1GB free RAM after the game is loaded or even more. When I alt+tab it seems however that the allocated memory is freed up, since from 600-900 MB used memory of ww1.exe it goes down to a few MBs, sometimes even less...

jadam
Private

Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:26 pm

calvinus wrote:I get about 25 FPS.

Hi,

with turning on "low color depth" there is no difference at all in the terrible speed. I checked and there is always more than 1GB sometimes 2 or 2.2 GB free memory when I play WW1G.

What else can be the problem?

Adam.

jadam
Private

Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:55 pm

calvinus wrote:@clockwork & crazzyivan: try to set to off the "AI Memory" option (WW1 Config tool), as suggested on this forum by a guy that experieced game lags like yours. This, provided the game sluggishness is only in the map window, could mean the OS makes the game IO/RAM-access operations slowed down. Otherwise, if the game works slowly also in the main menu, it could mean the antivirus is freezing all game process because considered a threat...

Since I'm running out of ideas I'd try this. For me the menu has excellent FPS (around 60) but when the map is loaded I get to my problems of slowness. So what could I do to check if the OS makes the RAM access of WW1G slow and how could I solve it? What do you mean exactly by "OS makes the RAM access slow"?

Adam.

calvinus

Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:33 am

I mean that there could be some resident process that slows down WW1, mainly when the multi-threading engine is working (map). So, run the Task Manager of Windows when WW1 is running, list the processes, locate that ones that use most CPU and try to kill them, so check if WW1 performances improve.

jadam
Private

Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:03 am

calvinus wrote:I mean that there could be some resident process that slows down WW1, mainly when the multi-threading engine is working (map). So, run the Task Manager of Windows when WW1 is running, list the processes, locate that ones that use most CPU and try to kill them, so check if WW1 performances improve.

I already did it many times, basically I killed all other process that is not mandatory for the system to run. No difference...

Any other idea?

calvinus

Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:14 am

Provided no resident process or antivirus or firewall is making WW1 work so slowly, and you have no RAM or HD access hang, the only reason can be Windows and your CPU. Also because you're running the game under Win XP, that has no UAC! :bonk:

(In fact, Vista and Win7 users commonly disable UAC when facing such issues)

Unfortunately I have no idea on what can be the reason exactly, how to configure your OS to make the CPU work at full speed with the multi-threaded engine of WW1. It should be everything automatic indeed: no particular tweaking job to be done by the user! :wacko:

jadam
Private

Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:28 am

calvinus wrote:Provided no resident process or antivirus or firewall is making WW1 work so slowly, and you have no RAM or HD access hang, the only reason can be Windows and your CPU. Also because you're running the game under Win XP, that has no UAC! :bonk:

(In fact, Vista and Win7 users commonly disable UAC when facing such issues)

Unfortunately I have no idea on what can be the reason exactly, how to configure your OS to make the CPU work at full speed with the multi-threaded engine of WW1. It should be everything automatic indeed: no particular tweaking job to be done by the user! :wacko:

So if I understand correctly the map uses 1 different thread than the rest of the game, right? Could there be some sort of synch issue between threads that slow down that much the game and that can't be resolved via affinity or turning off cores (considering the fact that I have an AMD Phenom CPU, I don't know if it has something like hyperthreading or not which can cause disturbance)?

Was CrazyIvan's problem (which is almost identical to mine) solved? Maybe some windows XP update causes this? Maybe some security update?

calvinus

Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:39 am

Game Map uses the main thread. AI has a dedicated thread. Mouse engine too. Network engine has then a thread (unused in single player mode though). And so on... My idea is that some threads are almost frozen, thus making the main process slowed down because it must synch with the other threads, as you wrote. The point is: what is the cause? :blink:

No news from CrazyIvan, sorry...

jadam
Private

Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:42 am

calvinus wrote:Game Map uses the main thread. AI has a dedicated thread. Mouse engine too. Network engine has then a thread (unused in single player mode though). And so on... My idea is that some threads are almost frozen, thus making the main process slowed down because it must synch with the other threads, as you wrote. The point is: what is the cause? :blink:

No news from CrazyIvan, sorry...

If there is a way I could debug it on my machine with your instructions/help or even additional software I'd be willing to contribute to find out this issue. I'm myself a programmer so I'd be capable with your instructions of doing it, what do you think? For example if there is some sort of hidden counters for thread performance that I can turn on or basically anything.

Just write me here or email (jadam1212 at gmail.com).

calvinus

Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:19 am

You must have Visual Studio. Launch the game and enter the map. Now launch Visual Studio (Visual C++) and connect to the game process WW1.EXE (menu Tools, Connect to process...).
Now click the process pause button and examine the tabs of Thread. Here you can see some informations about game threads.
The point is that you can see such informations only when you've frozen the game application, not in runtime too. And I don't know if those informations are useful... :(

jadam
Private

Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:27 am

calvinus wrote:You must have Visual Studio. Launch the game and enter the map. Now launch Visual Studio (Visual C++) and connect to the game process WW1.EXE (menu Tools, Connect to process...).
Now click the process pause button and examine the tabs of Thread. Here you can see some informations about game threads.
The point is that you can see such informations only when you've frozen the game application, not in runtime too. And I don't know if those informations are useful... :(

The free downloadable express version of visual c++ will do it? Since I don't have the full version? If it works with the free one I'll try it from home.

calvinus

Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:29 am

jadam wrote:The free downloadable express version of visual c++ will do it? Since I don't have the full version? If it works with the free one I'll try it from home.

I think yes, hopefully...

Return to “WW1 Technical support / Aide technique”