jcrohio
Lieutenant

Lots of CTD

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:49 am

Recently bought the game - spent a week reading and messing with the interface - played the tutorials a couple of times - tried my first games tonight.

Played the Tannenburg (spelling?) scenario numerous times both as the Germans and the Russians - probably played ten games and seven of them I was unable to complete due to CTD - there seemed to be no pattern to when the game crashed

System is Gateway - Amd 4200 proceesor - Nvidia 8600 with 256M memory - 2 Gigs of Ram Windows XP

Things I have done 1) let your program update my directx files 2) updated the drivers on my video card 3) my audio is on the motherboard - generic Windows drivers thought it did come with a Realtek Audio Manager which I disabled

Nothing has helped

I guess the next step is to try it without Audio but would rather not - I really like the music

Any other suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks
Jack

PS as a sidenote - the installation procedure was a royal pain in the neck - the divx codecs that got installed disabled my burner and dvd drive - searched the internet to find out that problem (the issue of the divx drivers knocking out drives is a known issue - google picked up on it right away)
- then I had to do a system restore which screwed up other things - I searched your forums but could find no mention of it - I guess I was the first!!

calvinus

Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:52 am

If you are having so many CTDs, be sure you are logged in as PC Administrator and UAC is off (if running on Vista or Win7).

calvinus

Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:46 am

Also, UAC must be off also during the Installation of the game.

jcrohio
Lieutenant

Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:20 pm

running Win xp so those should not be an issue

Any other ideas?

Jack

calvinus

Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:33 pm

Logged in as PC Administrator?

Antivirus running in background and not configured in such a way WW1.EXE is considere a trusted application?

"Locked full-screen mode" on (WW1 Config tool)?

"AI Logs" on (WW1 Config tool)?

jcrohio
Lieutenant

Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:11 pm

Logged in as PC Administrator?

Yes

Antivirus running in background and not configured in such a way WW1.EXE is considere a trusted application?

I say this on your other posts and could not find this on my antivirus (mine is Webroot) - they did have a "gaming Mode" which I tried but this did not help

"Locked full-screen mode" on (WW1 Config tool)?

Locked full screen is unchecked

"AI Logs" on (WW1 Config tool)?

AI logs is unchecked

THe biggest thing from your other posts that I have not done is tried playing without music and sound

Will try that today

Jack

calvinus

Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:46 pm

Yes, please try with sounds & musics disabled (WW1 Config tool).

If you have no more crashes, please post here your audio card (brand, model & version).
So I can report the issue to the developer of the music library.

Thanks,
Calvinus.

jcrohio
Lieutenant

Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:24 am

Tried the following - as of last night updated video drivers and accidently got rid of Realtek audio manager so just uninstalled the rest of the Realtek - sound card is on the motherboard and as far as I can tell it's drivers are provide by Microsoft and updated by the SP releases of which I have all three

With this in mind tried one more time playing in gamers mode on my anti virus (it takes down some shields according the the documentation)

Played four games of the Serbia scenario without any trouble - played Tannenburg once with no trouble - second time another CTD - this was in the combat routine and now that I think of it I think some or all the others were as well

Anyway - as of right now all my crashes have been in the Tannenburg scenario - will continue to play and will let you know how things go

Thanks for your time

Jack

calvinus

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:35 am

jcrohio wrote:Played four games of the Serbia scenario without any trouble - played Tannenburg once with no trouble - second time another CTD - this was in the combat routine and now that I think of it I think some or all the others were as well

My advice is: every time you want to start a new scenario/campaign, quit the game executable and launch it again. This improves greatly the stability of the game.

Return to “WW1 Technical support / Aide technique”