Nikel

Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:31 pm

Perhaps it is time to make a sticky about how to disable UAC in Vista and why it is recommended

User Account Control or UAC is a new feature in Vista that asks for permission to do system software tasks and also run programs. Unfortunately, this security feature is also annoying. I cannot predict the future of your system or what kind of security vulnerabilities will be used to attack systems, and as such, you need to decide for yourself if you desire to keep UAC active, but if you wish to disable it, here is how I do it:

With the default Category Control Panel:

Head to Start
Select Control Panel
Select System and Maintenance
Select Administrative Tools
Select the System Configuration button
Select the Continue button (if UAC is active)
Select the Tools Tab
Select "Disable UAC"
Select the Launch button
Select the Ok button to close the panel
You will have to reboot for the setting to take effect.

http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/supertweaks.htm

Rafiki

Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:15 pm

Nikel wrote:Perhaps it is time to make a sticky about how to disable UAC in Vista and why it is recommended

[color="Blue"]A good suggestion; I took the liberty of copying your recipe here :) [/color]
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

lodilefty

Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:17 pm

Rafiki wrote:[color="Blue"]A good suggestion; I took the liberty of copying your recipe here :) [/color]

I think this needs to be somewhere for all, not just WW1 support. :love:

How about a new, high level "Living with Vista, in spite of the evil Setag"
:w00t:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Le Ricain

Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:58 pm

Nikel wrote:Perhaps it is time to make a sticky about how to disable UAC in Vista and why it is recommended

User Account Control or UAC is a new feature in Vista that asks for permission to do system software tasks and also run programs. Unfortunately, this security feature is also annoying. I cannot predict the future of your system or what kind of security vulnerabilities will be used to attack systems, and as such, you need to decide for yourself if you desire to keep UAC active, but if you wish to disable it, here is how I do it:

With the default Category Control Panel:

Head to Start
Select Control Panel
Select System and Maintenance
Select Administrative Tools
Select the System Configuration button
Select the Continue button (if UAC is active)
Select the Tools Tab
Select "Disable UAC"
Select the Launch button
Select the Ok button to close the panel
You will have to reboot for the setting to take effect.

http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/supertweaks.htm

My Vista seems to be different from your Vista as I do not have a System and Maintenace file. Instead, in order to delete UAC, the steps needed are:

Select Start
Select Control Panel
Select Administration Tools
Select System Configuration button
Select Tools tab
Select 'Disable UAC'
Select Launch button
Select OK button
Reboot
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

Nikel

Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:51 pm

Thanks Rafiki :thumbsup: , I got my first sticky here in the forum. Though I am not blackviper, I just copied and pasted the information of his webpage :wacko: ;)

Le Ricain, yes, there are several vista, home, pro, ultimate, x64, ... :neener: Just kidding of course.

Note that the information was for "default Category Control Panel". If the control panel is default the steps to follow are the posted

[ATTACH]4876[/ATTACH]

If you do not find System and Maintenace, then you are using the control panel in classic mode

[ATTACH]4877[/ATTACH]

But of course better to have the steps explained for both situations :)
Attachments
vista_diary_1st_entry_control_panel_classic_view_large.jpeg
control_panel_home.jpeg

Le Ricain

Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:22 pm

Yes, much better. it is a nice touch to include pics of both possiblities.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

m_shane_perkins
Conscript

Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:42 pm

Le Ricain wrote:My Vista seems to be different from your Vista as I do not have a System and Maintenace file. Instead, in order to delete UAC, the steps needed are:

Select Start
Select Control Panel
Select Administration Tools
Select System Configuration button
Select Tools tab
Select 'Disable UAC'
Select Launch button
Select OK button
Reboot

Thanks Le Ricain! I've been struggling to install 1.0.5.c patch for a week now and your steps above set the conditions for my successful patch installation! :thumbsup:

AndrewKurtz

Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:14 pm

m_shane_perkins wrote:Thanks Le Ricain! I've been struggling to install 1.0.5.c patch for a week now and your steps above set the conditions for my successful patch installation! :thumbsup:

Another alternative probably would have been to click on the right mouse button on the installer and select "Run As Administrator"

Le Ricain

Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:15 pm

m_shane_perkins wrote:Thanks Le Ricain! I've been struggling to install 1.0.5.c patch for a week now and your steps above set the conditions for my successful patch installation! :thumbsup:

Congratulations. I hope that the rest of your WWI experience goes well. It is an incredible game.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

berrio028
Civilian

so beautiful

Mon May 11, 2009 11:07 am

Return to “WW1 Technical support / Aide technique”