Templer
General

Gold-Demo. Problems with mouse and screen.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:59 am

Gold-Demo. Problems with mouse and screen.

I am the owner of AGEOD's American Civil War.
A really great game and the service AGEOD's is exceptional.

Now I'm looking for World War One Gold Edition.
I downloaded the demo for this in German.

My system:
Windows XP
Pentium IV 3 GHz with Hyper-Threading Technology
2.75 GB RAM
Video card: ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series 1024 MB
Kaspersky Internet Security

My system exceeds the minimum requirements I guess.

But...

Mouse cursor:
In the selection menu, my cursor moves very fast, very smooth, almost to fast.
In the game, in the scenario, on the map, my cursor jerky, stumbling and coughing across the screen.

Blackout:
While the loading screen shown, also in the menue screen, of course, in the game/scenario itself, my screen flashes/flickers every 10 seconds black for a split second.

This way the game is no fun!

Other I
Would someone explain me the configuration tool.
What pros / cons I have with the options:
Load all sound at start
Play sounds in streaming mode
Disable vertical sync

Other II
I found no solution on the forum.
1) WW1 Configurator tool: do not check the "Lock full-screen mode" option, unless you have no antivirus and/or firewall program installed on your PC.
>>It´s unchecked!

WW1 Configurator tool: if you want to have a less jerky behaviour of the game during AI job, set the "Security Level" to
WW1 Configurator tool: Do not set the "Security Level" to 1. This could increase the risks of CTDs.
>>My Security Level option is greyed out!

Other III
Radetzky March and Baverian Defiliermarsch - that´s really nuts! :bonk:

calvinus

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:25 pm

Some tips: be sure you installed and run the game with UAC off, then run the game in single-CPU mode and set properly the mouse sensitivity bar in the config tool if required.

Templer
General

No effect! No chance to run the game.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:59 pm

What´s a UAC an how to set it off with Windows XP? :confused:

I gave the "single core" tip a chance, but no effect. :(

American Civil War is such a gem. :coeurs:
Works Perfekt. Well almost.
Buyers are thrilled.
Game, compatibility, support, forum members.

So what's wrong with WW1: La Grande Guerre? :mad:

Do the demo already includes the latest version (1.08L) ?

calvinus

Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:20 pm

I remember that the demo does not include the 1.08L patch.
WW1 uses a different engine as compared to ACW, and it's developed using a different coding language.

Did you try to configure Kaspersky to make WW1.exe a trusted application?

Under XP, there's no UAC and the single-CPU mode is not supported, sorry.

Templer
General

Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:57 pm

Yes, I have WW1.exe configured via Kaspersky to make it a trusted application!

One other another try, I run the game with deactivated Kaspersky.

There are no effects. Furthermore, the tripping of the mouse and continue to blackout.

Maybe I could live with the mouse brakes, it´s not a RTS, but playing with the blackouts/flashes all 10 seconds is a torture!

Out of desperation, I have now installed the English version of the game. Also, no improvement.

The blackoutflashes
Is it possible that my PC/my hard drive "check" every 10 seconds something so the game lose "connection" for a splitsecond? :confused:
It is like a "loose contact" occuring every 10 seconds.

If so, why only in WW1? :confused:

Maybe it is interesting, when I minimized the game while loading, there will be displayed 60 (more or less) fps displayed in the Windows toolbar.
If I minimize the game during the scenario, only 6.64 fps left.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

calvinus

Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:13 pm

Are you logged in with PC Administrator priviledges?

Templer
General

Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:01 am

Yes I am logged in with PC Administrator priviledges.

Even though my system exceeds the minimum requirements, performance of the game (the mouse anyway) is very sluggish. :crying:
Scrolling the map takes forever.
And if I drag and drop one of my units to another region it takes at least 3 seconds, then my unit jump to the target region. :eyebrow:

calvinus

Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:00 am

Is the map scroll so slow even if you check the "load all map at start" option in the config tool (loading time should be anyway longer)? If yes, it means something is slowing down the game, provided all map bitmaps should be in VRAM in the moment you scroll the map itself (indeed that option means you load all map bitmaps when the game starts and not when you scroll the map).
Commonly such slow-downs are caused by the antivirus that intercepts the huge I/O opertaions (HD acccess) performed by the game and "feels" them as a threat...

For the mouse, have you tried all mouse sentitivity levels? There's no one suitable for play? :blink:

Templer
General

Handbrake on!

Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:53 pm

To be precise, when I drive the cursor on the screen edge, then the map will jump in very small increments to the side.

I already checked the "load all map at start" box. Yes, so the loading process takes longer.

The Anti-Virus???
The problems occur, even if I disable my anti-virus software, in my case Kasparsky, before the start of World War I Gold Edition Demo.

I've experimented with the mouse sensitiviy levels. At some point, the mouse is hard to handle and completely inaccurate.

The game is slowed down. That's exactly the feeling I have. As if I drive my car and the handbrake on.
I have never had a game with such problems bevor.

I don´t understand why the game shouldn´t run on my system with my configuration.
Somewhere a setting, a function, a button, a knob has to activated or deactivated.
With other members it works well (now).

Another great game from AGEod´s and for me it doesn´t seem to run. :mad:

calvinus

Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:18 pm

I do not know Kaspersky. I can try to install it and see if this is the cause, even when "disabled". I will try and let you know.

Templer
General

calvinus is going serious.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:23 pm

calvinus wrote:I do not know Kaspersky. I can try to install it and see if this is the cause, even when "disabled". I will try and let you know.

God bless you! :feu:

Forza Italia!

calvinus

Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:29 pm

I just hope kaspersky is not one of those @#! antivirus that, once installed, make your life a hell to uninstall (like panda)... ;)

calvinus

Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:14 pm

Kaspersky gives conflicts on my pc with the other antivirus installed (avg) and I can't install kaspersky... grrr... :(
Anyone else can make that try? :love:

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

WWI Gold?

Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:12 pm

Luca: Give it up my man. A gallant effort ... but... no cigar. t :blink:

Templer
General

Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:34 pm

I have a shot. :)

I use a Logitech cordless keyboard + mouse combination.
Both are connected to the PC via infrared.
There is also a program to set different settings and options for the keyboard and mouse.
This program is called "SetPoint Contol Center" and is loaded at Windows startup, a small icon will be displayed in the taskbar.
Do I close this SetPoint Contol Center, there are no blackouts in the game anymore. Start the SetPoint Contol Center manualy again - blackouts every 10 seconds!
I am no PC expert, far from it, but I guess, Logitech SetPoint Contol Center and World War One gold edition - not a good idea.

Even the rumble of the map seems to be better now. Still not smooth, by far, but better.
To places I have visited before, clearly faster scrolling the map (faster, not smooth!) .
Interesting, scrolling with the mouse on the edge is faster and smoother than the to scroll with the arrow keys. :confused: :confused: :confused:

The mouse cursor does still too vague. As with scrolling the map the mouse cursor will "jump" in small jumps across the screen. That makes him so unpredictable and inaccurate. :(

Unfortunately, even the drag and drop of units is still not quick. Select unit, drag and drop unit to new region, wait 3 seconds, unit jumps into the destination region. Agonizing! :mad:

Kev_uk
Colonel

Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:43 pm

Remember that the map needs to load into cache/memory before it becomes smooth scrolling, which maybe is why it is slow at first. No worries when it is loaded.

Whats your system configuration? Memory, Graphics card, CPU?

Edit: I see your system specs at the top of the thread. Can you uninstall Kaspersky to see if that really is the culprit? I sometimes find that even disabling the antivirus it still leaves things in memory.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:31 am

I have the similar system but unfortunately game is very laggy. Especially when there is large amount of troops. With minimum 8-9 fps game is playable but when it drops to 6 fps mouse starts to get jumpy. Im grand campaign it starts with 10-11 fps then performance drops especially winter and with the amount of troops on map. I understand your concerns very well. It is very sad as it is a very good game.

My proposition is somehow if flags(in every region) or by not showing some nations troops on map like the WIA or ROP via the keyboard shortcut; memory or cpu forcing details can be disabled or enabled as wanted , things then can get more smooth. Maybe some map modes can have less detail. If that is not hard to implement to the game at this point.

Edit: one of the reasons of lag in troops selection and movement can be max accuracy for distance calculation. (If there is a option in demo) When I uncheck it there is less lag in the game.

calvinus

Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:58 am

Baris wrote:Edit: one of the reasons of lag in troops selection and movement can be max accuracy for distance calculation. (If there is a option in demo) When I uncheck it there is less lag in the game.

Sure! This makes the game slower, right! ;)

Templer
General

Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:28 am

@ Kev_uk
yes, I know the map is loading into cache / memory before it becomes smooth scrolling.
I read it somewhere in the forum.

Ultimately my PC is primarily a work stations and to uninstall Kaspersky then install it again and redo all the settings again would make me go too far.

@ Baris
Thank God you are alive. :)
The whole thing starts getting embarrassing to me. I thought I was the only one with these problems. :blink:

A German review (http://archiv.gamershall.de/index.php?option=com_simple_review&review=1481-World-War-One-La-Grande-Guerre-1914-1918&Itemid=42) in which the reviewer mention in his conclusion

"Die Performance des Programms war übrigens auf meinen Rechnern mit Dual Core−Prozessoren und ausreichend RAM (2 bzw. 4 GB) sehr viel träger, als man es von einem Strategietitel mit nicht gerade bestaunenswerter Grafik erwartet.."

English translation:

"The performance of the program by the way, to my computer with dual core processors and enough RAM (2 GB and 4) is very much slower than you would expect from a strategy game with such graphic."

The review goes on:

"Auch das unpräzise drag and drop−System für Bewegungsbefehle oder das Zusammenführen von Einheiten funktionierte mitunter erst nach mehreren Anläufen und bescherte mir den ein oder anderen Tobsuchtsanfall."

English translation:

"Also the imprecise drag and drop system for motion commands or merging units worked sometimes only after several attempts and gave me the odd tantrum."

So you'll find the note in the review, that World War One could be could be an outstanding match if not ....

This was not tested the gold edition.

I also found comments in other reviews (not the gold edition) about the slow performance.

I hope very much that calvinus/AGEOD improve the game's performance in the gold edition. :(

In the matrix game forum, a user note that World War One Gold Edition run also well on a "cheap laptop". :confused:

What's the game look like I like it very much. The title would be very interested.
But with this performance, I probably have to buy a new computer for it. :(

Nevertheless, I will test the game demo on weekend.
After I found a solution to the worst obstacle, the blackouts (keyboard + mouse software. Can you believe that?), it´s able at least to play a few rounds.
On the long run, it will make no fun.

I am grateful for the help and the commitment here in the forum, and I want to thank AGEOD for offering a demo version. :)
I would have been very upset :grr: , if I would bought the full version to determine my PC is not suitable. :mad:

However AGEOD currently offers World War One Gold Edition to -50%.

In the past I spent € 15.00 for things that been less fun.

I don´t know now. :confused:

Greetings
Templer

calvinus

Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:19 am

Templer, read here: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?p=190965#post190965

The idea of the large swap file could help you...

Return to “WW1 Technical support / Aide technique”