Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Final - manstein (USA) vs Benway (CSA) part deaux

Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:28 am

Turn 1

Benway: here's the first turn. gonna have to definitely think out of the box to salvage this disaster..

Manstein:
Well, few things I can say about this game.
I only must maintain Washington till turn 15, so, I will play a defensive game, building a fort inside Washington D.C. And I will build all troops for defend my capitol city, although I think that Benway will play a very aggressive game, trying to defeat to me befor the turn 15.
"We shall give them the bayonet." -Stonewall at Fredericksburg.

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:21 pm

Turn 2

Benway
: not really much to report. gonna try to run the carolina force to DC and see what happens. maybe a quick strike can catch him unawares. this doesnt seem like much of a proper representation of the game, but i gotta do what i gotta do.

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:42 pm

Turn 3

Benway:
Winder is ordered into the boats with the Carolinians and will attempt a coup de main on DC. it might be a suicide mission (most likely it is) but with the way things are going, tough choices have to be made. we shall see what happens.

Manstein:
TURN 3:
The Northeastern Virginia Army appears at Alexandria. I place it inside the city for recover quickly his cohesion.
I cannot wait for defend Washington, so, because this is the first turn where the troops can be purchased, I play some options: Call for Volunteers (paying 1.000$ and recruiting 245 companies), Total Mobilization (683 companies), 8% War Bounds (367.000$) and Exceptional Taxes (440.000$).

I will not to plan a normal troop building, because I only must resist to 16 turn, so, I will build troops at great quantity. Only plan build 4 art.bty at east for build a fort inside Washington. I build 1 great regiment (3 inf, 1 cav, 1 art) for reinforce Fort Monroe.

The rest of my purchases are:

[ATTACH]8667[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Turn3-USApurchases.jpg

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:48 pm

Turn 4

[ATTACH]8696[/ATTACH]

Benway:
i plan on trying a left hook from the Valley as my next attempt at DC. i figure this is all pointless, all he has to do is move his capital to NYC and game over. i actually want to see if i can pull this off. my loss was a complete miscalculation (albeit pathetic), all he needs to do is defend the capital.

enough ranting.

militia are ordered to report to their commanders across the rebellious states. a good amount are sent to the Valley in preparation for the release of the Shenandoah army. the 2nd SC moves to Alexandria to clear the cavalry out. McDowell will probably pop out of the town, but we might get a little skirmish. i want to try to cover the moves to the valley if at all possible.

bought some rail and river supply. artillery and cavalry replacements are created also.

Manstein:
TURN 4:

Benway wants conquer quickly my capital, but Scott resisted his attack.

I continue building new troops and I will send to Washington for form the new divisions

[ATTACH]8697[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Turn4-USApurchases.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:19 pm

Turn 5

[ATTACH]8721[/ATTACH]

Benway:
units are still gathering. some raiders are shipped out to sea. that should raise our monetary income a bit. we could use the money. not really much else to report.

[ATTACH]8723[/ATTACH]

Manstein:
TURN 5:

Thanks a McCullogh attacking my army at Alexandria, it is free for act, and I form 3 almost full divisions and McDowell advances to Manassas.

Great number of new units are sent to Washington, for form new divisions and defend our capital.

[ATTACH]8722[/ATTACH]
Attachments
mmp.jpg
Turn5-purchases.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:57 pm

Turn 6

[ATTACH]8756[/ATTACH]

Benway:
i'm going to try to make a grab this summer if i can. orders go down to PGT Bearegard to load the Army of the Potomac onto the rails and move north to Alexandria. the move is expected to take about 9 days or so. Jackson is sent across the Potomac to the region next to DC. i figure even if McDowell moves back to Alexandria, PGT should be strong enough to push him out of the way. if that happens, we can have DC under siege by next turn. there are more and more rebs streaming north into the Old Dominion. their blood is up and we've got to take it to those Unionists.

i've never played this aggressive as CSA before. its kind of fun doing something a little different. perhaps it will throw him off a bit. either way, this one is going to bloody. i've already suffered 4x as many casualties as he has. maybe this will turn into race to each other's capitals.

[ATTACH]8758[/ATTACH]

Manstein:
TURN 6:

I continue sending reinforcement troops to Washington D.C.
McDowell is trenching at Manassas.

[ATTACH]8757[/ATTACH]
The rest of theatres are totally secondary.
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
Turn6-USApurchases.jpg
b.jpg

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:34 pm

Turn 7

Benway:
Well, that actually went better than i had hoped. unfortunately it may all be academic at this point as he has put about 2000 strength points in the capital defenses. alas, these are not times for hesitancy. Johnston is ordered to the DC region, as is PGT ordered to cross the Potomac up river then join the Shenandoah boys at DC. if this doesnt work, it could spell disaster. very much depends on McDowell. how well those narrow shoulders (at least in terms of game qualities) handle the burden could go a long way to tell what happens during the rest of summer, 1861.

out west, the respective state's militias have created 4 different forces to keep an eye on Tennessee. the Alabamans under Bushrod Johnson head to Donelson to keep an eye on the river junction there. the Mississippians head down to their state depot in Corinth. there they await the rest of their state brethren and will form a reaction force when the USA makes their move in this theater. Polk takes the rails to Nashville, there to defend the city and support Johnson should a move be made at Donelson. Polk's division of Tennessee boys should form the strongest division among this group of forces. need to get a few more generals out here to create a more effective fighting force. at least one more 1* general along with some signal units should suffice until more leaders arrive. Albert Sydney Johnston has been ordered to Tennessee to take overall command in the theater, he is expected from California within a few months. all of this may be meaningless unless the Virginia army can succeed in its waylaying of DC.

[ATTACH]8799[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]8801[/ATTACH]

Manstein:
TURN 7:

The rebel forces initiates desperates attacks for try to conquer Washington before the 14 turn, but I think that Washington is well defended. Anyway, I move the McDowell Army to Washington again for avoid problems.

[ATTACH]8800[/ATTACH]
Attachments
w.jpg
Turn7-USApurchases.jpg
e.jpg

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:40 pm

Turn 8

[ATTACH]8833[/ATTACH]

Benway: they made it to DC, at least half of them did. PGT got stuck in Alexandria and was unable to cross the river. it appears he will have to defeat McDowell before he can join the rest of the army at the capital. this is the only thing that matters at this time. all else is a sideshow.

[ATTACH]8834[/ATTACH]

Manstein: TURN 8:

The rebel follows triying to conquer Washington. I ship reinforcement to Washington form my naval base at Philadelphia. I suppose that Washington will resist the rebel ttacks, because my capital is well defended.

I only build some replacements and 60 river transport point.
Attachments
Untitled-2.jpg
b.jpg

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:22 am

Turn 9

[ATTACH]8849[/ATTACH]

Benway:
Polk and Bushrod are ordered from TN to Virginia to support the attempt on the capital.

Manstein:
TURN 9:

The reinforcement forces joined at Philadelphia continue being shipped to Washington. At 2 or 3 turns, I will have about 14 divisions around Washington. The rest of theatres already are not important, because I only must maintain the Washington control for 5 turns more, so, this game is very strange in comparison with others games.

[ATTACH]8850[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Turn9-USApurchases.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:09 pm

Turn 10

Benway:
McD crossed the river to Port Tobacco. that frees up the PGT and the Army of the Potomac to splash across that same river towards the capital. i still dont know if i have the troops to take the city, but if i can win a battle outside the city and push old Winfield Scott into another region, we might have a slight chance. i think this turn's move towards DC with PGT and the boys will determine those odds. Polk is still on his way, to meet up with Bushrod when they get to Alexandria. hopefully they will be able to join the fray outside the capital before it's too late.

Manstein:
TURN 10:

McDowell Army crossed the Potomac and will try to reach to Washington. I will form a force commanding by Hooker for to try to disembark at Richmond, because I see that all the rebel forces are around Manassas.

[ATTACH]8877[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:38 pm

Turn 11

An interesting event occurred this turn which may affect the outcome of the game. Beauregard arrived at DC day 10 in attack mode, before McDowell. At this point if he had attacked the combined CSA armies (6 divs) may have pushed the divided USA armies (3 divs outside DC) out of the region, but inexplicably Beauregard never attacked. McD finally arrived on day 15 to solidify the USA defenses. I suggested to Benway that he investigate this as a possible bug as I'd never seen a battle delay more than one or two days. He declined.

Benway:
how exactly would this be investigated? it could have potentially been a successful attack, what are your thoughts? if he was able to push the usa out of the region, i'd be in a much better position to at least make a reasonable effort at the city.

anyway, the rebs are making a full run at DC. every rebel unit in range is ordered to the region. again, if we're able to push the usa army out of the region, we might be able to pull this off. whatever happens, i'm having fun playing the rebs this way. it's definitely possible to keep even a large USA army on their heels. Stonewall had the right idea. in this game i've been able to knock on his doorstep when that was the only thing he had to defend against. i'll be amazed if i can pull it off...

Manstein:
TURN 11:

The rebel still triying to siege Washington, with only 6 divisions, but now I have 8 divisions outside Washington and other 6 divisions inside Washington, with a fort which will be finnished this turn.
My fleets still reinforce Washington by sea.
Already the troops purchases have been stopped. All the conscripts will be used for purchase replacements.

[ATTACH]8925[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Untitled-2.jpg

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:02 am

Daxil wrote:Turn 11 <snip>

An interesting event occurred this turn which may affect the outcome of the game. Beauregard arrived at DC day 10 in attack mode, before McDowell. At this point if he had attacked the combined CSA armies (6 divs) may have pushed the divided USA armies (3 divs outside DC) out of the region, but inexplicably Beauregard never attacked. McD finally arrived on day 15 to solidify the USA defenses. I suggested to Benway that he investigate this as a possible bug as I'd never seen a battle delay more than one or two days. He declined.

[ATTACH]8925[/ATTACH]

I must admit to having become increasingly disillusioned with this game in having to 'guess' as to why such and such a battle outcome occured or failed to happen. ;) And if anyone says its because the game is 'strategic' I'll ram the saying where the sun don't shine....after all it did become known why battles were won and lost. If that was the case historically then it should be the case in game.

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:03 pm

[ATTACH]8939[/ATTACH]

Benway: upon further review, i hereby resign. there is no way i can get the capital in 3 turns. or 30 for that matter. i had no idea he had so many troops in that region. oh well. i congratulate Manstein on a job well done. i think i might have had him in dire straits in the first game, but his coup de main foiled my machinations. alas.

Congratulations to Manstein is due from all. none compare to his generalship.

Thanks to Daxil for hosting this tournament. thanks to all those who hosted the various games even though they were not playing themselves. i think the tournament was quite a success and i'd be glad to participate in the next one down the line. maybe i'll be able to close the deal.

kudos to all.

Pete

[ATTACH]8940[/ATTACH]

And so.....

[ATTACH]8941[/ATTACH]

Congrats to Manstein! The first ever AACW Champion! I believe he defeated everyone he faced decisively at least once, and they were no slouches. An Alessandro Farnese descendant for sure!

Lots of ups and downs and twists in this 10-month long campaign. Well wishes to Torca, whose father passed away during this and forced him to resign.
Attachments
end.jpg
s.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg

Manstein
Brigadier General

Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:17 pm

Well, I must thank to Daxil because his great idea for a tournament and for his excellent work hosting and doing the AAR´s.

Now I must say that I´m little disillusioned because I don´t like very much the short scenarios, I like very much the Great Campaigns, because you can plain all the strategy for future years, but by time reasons (and I understand it), Daxil placed all the brakes as scenarios challenges and only the final as Great Campaign, and it was played with the 1.13 patch, where the corps are not availables till 1862. I have not played with 1.14 patch, but knowing that not only there aren´t corps, but divisions too, till the game is some avanced, the south has lost very much competitivity at the first year of game.

I think that the developers should think at the play possiblities and not as many at historicy and come back to corps and divisions at beginning of game.

bigus
General

Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:47 am

Manstein wrote:Well, I must thank to Daxil because his great idea for a tournament and for his excellent work hosting and doing the AAR´s.

Congrats Manstein!

Everyone involved with this tournament should be thanked.
I've followed every match. It was a great tourney.

MrT
Colonel

Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:03 am

ah its over missed the final update somehow.

Brilliant move by Manstein in the first match really eliminated any hope Benway could of had of victory.

Congratulations to both and a special congrats to the victor Manstein.

slimey.rock
Major

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:11 pm

Congratulations Manstein :winner:

Now you will have to defend your title in the second tournament ;)

Probably not from me, though :neener:

NonpiotIntent
Civilian

Final manstein USA vs Benway CSA part deaux

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:24 pm

Way to Go 3FB

Im glad you had a great time. From what I have read you seem to be one of the lucky few who had a good time at Nationals. It just goes to show that 3 Fanged Bunnies know how to have a good time Will you be at GenCon? Hope so.

Return to “1st AACW PBEM Tournament (2008/2009)”