Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Final - Manstein (CSA) vs Benway (USA)

Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:25 am

The finals will begin momentarily. This time we'll be doing a 12 turn delay. We also decided to switch it up a bit and let the players do the play-by-play in the form of diaries. It will be sort of like Julius Caesar documenting his conquests.

They'll be going over what they recruited each turn and why, then explaining their objectives for the turn, and finally going over the results from the previous turn.

I'll be providing some of the graphics and maps to fill in any confusions.

As was stated earlier this will be the grand campaign through to late October 1863.

Thanks.
"We shall give them the bayonet." -Stonewall at Fredericksburg.

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:37 am

Joining the action on turn 5...

Benway Notes.

National - Taxes and paper money printing ordered. no vp hits, only NM and %. Volunteers are ordered with a $2k bounty.
Recruitment - built approx 1 division in NY to bolster the eastern army. several brigades and some artillery in Illinois and Ohio.

Eastern Theater - I ventured a strike at Winchester to block the rail there and keep an eye on the valley army. if they are repulsed no big concern. all units are ordered to Alexandria poste haste.

Western Theater - not much to report, the gunboats continue to patrol the river above Island No 10. the destroyed depot at Cairo will most likely have to be rebuilt. forces are soon to get a nice boost in this theater. the leaders are mostly in place.

i always believed the game was won or lost in the west for the USA. the east usually becomes a stalemate as neither player wants to risk much with both capitals so nearby. the west gives more opportunity for operations of maneuver.

i know, pretty bland huh. i'll try to spruce it up when the action heats up.

Manstein Notes.

FIRST TURNS:

The first turns are peaceful, except for the conquest of Ft.Sumter and Norfolk. The Winchester Militia took Grafton and destroy the rail line and the depot.
At first turn USA plays the blockade, and the second turn I play the embargo, being both favourable for me and the FEL is at 31.
At third turn I build 7 brigs and 2 militia units at Missouri. The Brewer Cav Bn is sent to conquer Cairo.

4º Turn:
Massasas is attacked by USA. I form an emergency division and move it by rail to Manassas, before the depot could be destroyed, because I think that he will not destroy the rail line for receive reinforcements.
The Brewer Cav Bn is destroying the rail line and the depot at Cairo.
The 1st Georgia Cav is destroying the rail lines at deep PA and will attack Warren (PA), for destroy his depot.
The first brigs are moved at Gulf Blockade Box. The river forces at Missisiipi are being joined at Memphis.
One militia at Rolla is destroying the rail lines and the depot, for avoid that it was taken by the Lyon force, already appeared.
Johnston and Bouregard forces are in of Strasburg depot and Richmond respectively, for quickly recovery his cohesion and recovery the replacement faster.
I plya the first money printing and the Call for Volunteers, paying 1.000 thousand for company and recruiting 239 companies.
I build 1 Cav Bn at Missouri, and 11 militia units: 2 at Arkansas, 4 at Virginia and 5 at North Carolina

5º Turn:
Victory at Manassas. It´s a pirric victory, but the objective is get: the no-destruction of Manassas depot, because I want that depot for the future.
Defeats at Cairo at Rolla, but the objectives were get too, because both depots were destroyed. The Warren (PA) depot was taken too and the cav bn is destroying now. At Springfield (MO), one of the militia built the third turn is destroying the depot and after goes to Arkansas, for join with Price force.
This turn I play the very strongest political options: 8% tax bonus, Exceptional Taxes and Print Money, and Full Mobilization too. I need the max of forces for resist the federal superioriy.
Buil up:
I build 4 art.bty for TransMississippi Theather (2 at Arkansas and 2 at Luissiana), because is very dangerous build the Missori artillery, with Lyon moving there. 1 shapshooter at Arkansas and 3 militia at Arkansas too. 1 brigade (2 inf and 1 cav elements) at Arkansas. Theese reinforcements will create the first TransMissisippi division.
West Theather: 8 art.bty, 29 militia units, 2 shapshooters for begin to create the West Army.
East Theather: 12 art.bty, 23 militia units and 5 shapshooters.
I buld 2 marines too, 1 for each main front.
8 cav.bn for each main front (16 total) for maintain my rear free of undesirables.
And 5 brigs more.

I have at reserve 344 conscript companies and the next turn I could play a new Call of volunteers, but surely I will not do it, because I will wait to my pool reserve will be empty.

[ATTACH]8402[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]8400[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]8401[/ATTACH]

National Morale
CSA 101
USA 90

Combat Losses
CSA 1050
USA 480

POW held by
CSA 0
USA 400

Victory Points
CSA 260
USA 207

Points from Cities
CSA 51
USA 35

It's turn 5 in early june.
Attachments
5.jpg
S4turn-ataqueWarren.jpg
4turn-ataqueManassas.jpg

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:53 pm

Benway Notes.

wow, Georgia cavalry in NY State. those horses must be tired.

here's the report:

National - more drafting along with paper money and exceptional taxes. Full Blockade of the South is ordered.

Recruitment - i have decided to do things a bit differently this game than i normally do. i've alwalys built my units with regulars, but this game i'm going to build militia and attempt to train them up to regs. i figure if it doesnt go as i hope, i can always change. anyway, a wave of militia are armed across the northern states. foundries are working double shifts to churn out the new artillery units.

Eastern Theater - i opted for an early strike with 4 divisions at Manassas. i want that depot. a force is sent to Harper's Ferry in case the rebs decide to strike up the valley. pesky reb cavalry have been spotted along Lake Erie. the calls go out to hunt the intruders down.

Western Theater - the new units mustered last month are steadily building strength. a few divisions are created with leaders who are active. after almost 2 years of playing this game steadily, i still do not understand the triggers for Kentucky secession, so i usually try to avoid that state whenever possible.

Manstein Notes

TURN 6:
At Shenandoah I create a new division, not full, under Bee command and Jackson is the chief commander and sent both to Manassas, for join to Smith at try to defend Manassas, the federal pass to south, while the resto of reinforcements are sent to Richmond for create new divisions.
Memphis is the joining point for reinforcements at West.
The 1st Georgia Cav has destroyed the Warren (PA) depot and is destroying the rail lines at the zone, obstructing the troops and supply movement between west and east for the Union.
I build some replacements more and 4 new militia units for east front.

I will wait that my VP grows some more for call more volunteers and ask for more money to my people.

[ATTACH]8410[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]8411[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]8412[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]8413[/ATTACH]

National Morale
CSA 96
USA 86

Combat Losses
CSA 1380
USA 630

POW held by
CSA 0
USA 600

Victory Points
CSA 166
USA 245

Points from Cities
CSA 51
USA 36

It's turn 6 in late June.
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
1a.jpg

runyan99

Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:05 pm

Daxil wrote:Benway Notes.

wow, Georgia cavalry in NY State. those horses must be tired.

That is only the beginning of your cavalry problems.

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:18 am

Benway Notes

National - i seem to be having some bad rolls on the foreign interevention. it's already up to 45. better try to do something (who knows what) to stem that. not much else to report. all options have been utilized.

Recruitment - started the building of the river fleet with 2 ironclads built in each available state. no other builds this turn.

East - ordered Heintzelman to take his division and capture Winchester. if left in reb hands for too long it can become a starting point for cavalry raids into West PA and points above. most other units are ordered to Manassas for the drive into Virginia. i'm surprised Jackson was beaten by Milroy. i was hoping Jackson would remain out of that battle. nevertheless, a victory is a victory, and we have our depot.

West - the recruitments are ordered to gather at certain points in their respective states. once they all come together, divisions will be formed. fairly quiet on this front so far.

Manstein Notes.

TURN 7:
The Jackson´s forces at Manassas (2 divisions) has been defeated. The federal has advanced with two forces outnumbering to my forces, although they was not coordinated. I think that the new rule that avoid the corps creation till spring62 isn´t good for the rebel interests, because the rebel inferirity only can be counteracted with a best command chain, but it isn´t possible with the new rule.
Now, I have formed 3 new divisions at Richmond. One of this, with the army HQ under Bouregard command, has been sent to Culpeper, where are the two dvisions defeated at Manassas. The other 2 divisions new formed at Richmond, under Johnston command, have seen sent to Fredericksburg, for avoid a federal advance to the south.
New reinforcements are been sent to Richmond at Memphis, for create new divisions.

The Springfield(MO) depot has been destroyed, so, the federal way to Arkansas is more difficult yet, because without the Rolla and Sprinfield depot the supplies to the south will reach very difficultly.

I play a new cotton embargo, replying the new blockade played for the Union and it has placed the FEL at 45. If I have some luck, the FEL could be at 60 the next turn, and growing each turn because the VP and NM levels favourables to South (at this momment).

I play Exceptional Taxes and 8% Bonus, and a new Call of Volunteers.
With new recruits, I build 20 militia units, 2 marine Bn. And 12 artillery Bty.

My cav. units received are placed for avoid and counterattack possible federal cav raids to my rail lines.

I will try to little attack to Tucso, where I only see 1 cav units for defend it. Tucson is not very important, but it give 1 VP per turn.

[ATTACH]8438[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]8437[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]8436[/ATTACH]

National Morale
CSA 96
USA 79

Foreign Entry Level

Combat Losses
CSA 3390
USA 2370

POW held by
CSA 0
USA 800

Victory Points
CSA 217
USA 149

Points from Cities
CSA 52
USA 36

It's turn 7 in early July.
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

runyan99

Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:36 am

Daxil wrote:Benway Notes
I think that the new rule that avoid the corps creation till spring62 isn´t good for the rebel interests, because the rebel inferirity only can be counteracted with a best command chain, but it isn´t possible with the new rule.

I suspect you are right. That was not a sound change.

Franciscus

Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:34 pm

runyan99 wrote:I suspect you are right. That was not a sound change.

Yes, it sure made (more) difficult the beginning of the game for the CSA, as it changes significantly the balance, even with non-activated USA generals. As I play only CSA vs AI, I find the increased challenge very good :thumbsup: . But I believe that it can hamper (more) the CSA AI and possibly make a PBEM a bit more unbalanced.

I think it can be modded (? - you should know better than any one else here :gardavou :) , but the ideal could be either an option to play with "historic" corps/divisions rules on or off, or even different scenarios. But we all know that probably there are no resources available at the moment for such huge changes.

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:58 pm

runyan99 wrote:I suspect you are right. That was not a sound change.

+1 but with the qualification in that I reckon that to a large extent it depends whether you are playing against the AI or PBEM'ing. If the latter it is certainly a +1 though I do accept that the majority of players play solo :)

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:20 am

Benway's Notes.

National - well, luck has turned for me this turn. his embargo backfired and the FI went down.

Recruitment - none this turn, just some replacement units ordered.

East - have spotted enemy divisions along the Rapahannock, divided into two forces. the attack on Winchester was a success. no movement as of yet towards Richmond. waiting on the rest of my units to reach their destinations, then we will have a two pronged assault into VA. the group in West Virginia will go over the mountains to perhaps cut the east-west rails and occupy as many rebs away from the main thrust. that may change depending on the next few turns' events.

West - troops are mostly where they need to be. just waiting for some artillery to finish. we have two divisions in Illinois, one each in Missouri and Indiana, 2+ divisions almost ready in Ohio. depending on circumstances, more may be mustered.

Manstein's Notes.

TURN 8:
Bad luck with the embargo: -18 to FEL, now at 29
Nothing special this turn. USA conquered Winchester (VA).
Both sides continues accumulating troops. Manassas has great quantity of militia units, so, Manassas will be the center for the federal eastern theather.
I have created 2 new divisions at Richmond and the first at Memphis. The Price´s force at Fayettevile (AR) is now a new division, waiting for his troops. This fornt is very quiet, because Lyon is not advancing to south.
I build 2 new brigades (2 Inf and 1 Cav) at Tennessee and 1 signal unit.

[ATTACH]8452[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]8453[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]8454[/ATTACH]

National Morale
CSA 98
USA 80

Foreign Entry Level

Combat Losses
CSA 3900
USA 2400

POW held by
CSA 0
USA 1100

Victory Points
CSA 199
USA 187

Points from Cities
CSA 52
USA 36

It's turn 8 in late July.
Attachments
mm.jpg
bm.jpg
b.jpg

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:56 am

Benway's Notes

National - built rails and ship transports this turn. going to need them soon.

Recruitment - purchased more militia in the northeast to go along with the arty batteries that finished building last turn.

East - divisions are formed and the army organized at Manassas. they are ordered to pitch into PGT Beauregard's army across the river. hopefully they will be strong enough to push the rebs back. cavalry are to spread around with the idea to break the rails behind the rebels. if all goes well this turn we may be able to turn toward Johnston next turn.

West - the forces are organized. 3 divisions from Ohio are sent to Bowling Green through Kentucky. there was a note this turn that Kentucky is less likely to secede, although i dont really know what it means. it doesnt appear that either side has made any attacks with the state. 2 divisions are ready in Cairo, prepping for an assault on Ft Donelson or Island 10, depending upon circumstance. Lyons is moving to Rolla as a stepping point for a move to Springfield.

Manstein's Notes

TURN 9:
Both sides continues accumulating troops. All quit for now.
I play a new Print Money, and I think that is will be the last, waiting for earn some VP more and the money for print money will be greater.
I build 4 shapshooter, 24 militia, 7 artillery and 1 HQ. I risk building 8 militia units at Missouri, because I have only 1 city (Springfield) and the federal troops are very far away and the mud has begun.

Already I have 11 divisions built and I hope to have almost 16 before the year end.

[ATTACH]8464[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]8465[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]8466[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]8468[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]8467[/ATTACH]

National Morale
CSA 108
USA 76

Foreign Entry Level

Combat Losses
CSA 4020
USA 2580

POW held by
CSA 0
USA 1100

Victory Points
CSA 251
USA 223

Points from Cities
CSA 52
USA 36

It's turn 9 in e aug.
Attachments
mm.jpg
mr.jpg
bm.jpg
BR.jpg
b.jpg

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:32 pm

Benway's Notes.

National - i noticed that i had a volunteer draft still available, so i used that option. nothing else to report.

Recruitment - ordered three more divisions of militia. one each in PA, MI & OH. i have artillery available in those states, so creating divisions will be completed as soon as the leaders are found to build them.

East - it appears our assault across the river was successful. the follow up moves to Charlottesville and Culpeper were also completed. Milroy is ordered to assault and capture Charlottesville. need to hold that to protect the right flank of any move on Richmond. Hamilton is to establish a debot in Culpeper and sit tight. McDowell is bringing his 3 divisions into the region, along with Heintzelman's NVA division. Sumner moves from Manassas to watch the Rapahannock crossing there. he should be able to slow any surprise move north towards DC. we've got the rails intact in NOVA, so the main army should be able to react relatively quickly to anything that happens. the cavalry are blowing the rails behind his lines, so that should slow his supply. the small militia unit i boated to the peninsula has reported no enemy troops along that avenue to the rebel capital. perhaps an operation there would force him to spread his forces even more. this idea is still in development.

West - our gunboats and the cavalry in TN have reported that Donelson is not well defended. one division from Cairo is ordered boat to the region just north of the fort and march to assault the garrison. if they are defeated, the divisions ordered to move across the river from Nashville will be able to support. in Missouri, Lyons will venture towards Springfield, with orders to attack. this is a bit of a risk, but one i'm willing to take as it is the last city in MO still in reb hands. i'd like to grab that one and spend the winter consolidating the holds in that state with more militia. Halleck will be our training officer in that area.

Manstein's Notes.

TURN 10:
The federal advances to Richmond. They get throw out to my forces at Culpeper (VA), although the battle was favourable to me, but I already said at spanish forum that the new rule about the no corps formation till spring62 is favourable to USA, because the only rebel advantage over the federal is his command chain and it´s broken because this new rule.
Anyway, I will try to defend Frederiksburg and Richmond and see the federal advance lines for counterattack at the appropriate momment.

Have been seen the first federal troops at Kentucky, advancing to Bowling Green. I already have a full division under E.K.Smith command at Nashville and I send a new full division to support him.
I don´t know if I could stop him, because he has 3 division at Bowling Green.

I build new replacements and 4 art.bty at Alabama and 1 new signal unit.

[ATTACH]8499[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]8498[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]8500[/ATTACH]

National Morale
CSA 108
USA 76

Foreign Entry Level

Combat Losses
CSA 8880
USA 8400

POW held by
CSA 0
USA 1800

Victory Points
CSA 303
USA 269

Points from Cities
CSA 52
USA 37

It's turn 10 in l aug.
Attachments
mm.jpg
b.jpg
bm.jpg

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:48 am

Benway's Notes.

National - nothing new to report

Recruitment - some river transports are ordered as they are the cheapest way to build depots. i need to get some supplies to the front lines in the western theater. a signal company is ordered as well, as i seem to be running short on generals.

East - the army is ordered to concentrate at Culpeper. the depot will be done and they can rest for the next assault. Butler and two divisions load into Farragut's transports headed for the James River. from there they can either land on the peninsula or make a grab for Norfolk. we could probably use the NM boost from capturing an objective city. it will depend upon the intelligence gleaned this turn.

West - the taking of Donelson was much to easy. the rebs must have something up their sleeves. i located two divisions inside Nashville. no sign of Polk though, my assumption is he's down near Memphis or Corinth with the balance of the rebel army. some riverclads have gone operational this turn, and two boats are sent to reinforce the fleet at Reelfoot Lake. Morell's division is waiting in Cairo for an opening to strike at Island 10. the Indiana division is sent to Gallatin TN in preparation for ops against Nashville. the newly formed division of Michiganers is ordered to meet McClellan at Cincinnati. they will most likely form with Fitz John Porter as soon as he becomes active. that will give me 6 divisions operating in theater. not sure if that's enough, but it's the best i can do at this point.

Manstein's Notes

TURN 11:
The federal begin his ofensives by all theathers. At Missouri, Lyon advances to Springfiel, controlling now all the Missouri cities. My militia units recruited there already go to Fayetteville (AR), where Price is destroying the depot, for avoid that it will be conquered by Lyon. At next turn, Price will cross the Arkansas river and will defend Fort Smith.

At West Front, 4 federal divisions have attacked the north of Tennessee, taking the control of Fort Donelson. I would want have defended this fort, but my problem is that I have very few one-star generals, and I have almost 3 divisions at Memphis that cannot be formed, because there isn´t generals for commanding they. I have to E.K.Smith with 2 full divisions defending Nashville, although I know that Nashville is hard to defend without Fort Donelson support. I will try to hold the Nashville position while I can, then I will retreat.

At east front, the federal doesn´t advance, but I begin the building of a depot at Albermale (VA), where is his Army HQ. I leave to Lee (already appeared) at Richmond with 2 divisions and advance with Jackson (2 divisions) to Louisa (VA), for close the pass to east cost. The Army HQ (with 3 divisions) under Beauregard command will defend Fredericksburg and Johnston (2 divisions) will advance to Culpeper (VA), exploiting the hole there of the federal lines, cutting the north supplies to McDowell Army for after to wait the federal counterattack, while more troops have coming to Richmond and new divisions are created. Begin the fight between cavalry for Richmond rear, but I think that I have enough cavalry units for avoid almost a supply disaster. Two cavalry regiments are attacking Manassas, because it is poorly defended and I want cut the federal reinforcements to his Army.

I build 1 supply wagon at Arkansas, 2 brigades (2 inf+1 Cav) and 1 shapshooter at west front and 2 cavalry units at East front.

[ATTACH]8512[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]8513[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]8514[/ATTACH]

National Morale
CSA 108
USA 75

Foreign Entry Level

Combat Losses
CSA 9420
USA 10566

POW held by
CSA 0
USA 2200

Victory Points
CSA 355
USA 316

Points from Cities
CSA 50
USA 38

It's turn 11 in e sep.
Attachments
mm.jpg
bm.jpg
b.jpg

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:40 am

Due to the loss of a lot of info I'm holding off a few days to wait for this forum stuff to be resolved before I post the next turn. Stay tuned!

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:18 pm

Benway's Notes

National - no report

Recruitment - more ironclads are ordered, along with some hospital and signal units.

East - Joe Johnston snuck into culpeper and it appears some cavalry sent Sumner's division running???? they captured the depot at Manassas. luckily Sumner's troops retreated there and will assault and re-capture. how a few cavalry regiments sent a division scattering is beyond me, but that's the wonders of this game. the rest of the army waits at the albmarle depot to await the outcome of our ops along the peninsula. i figure Johnston can go north, but i'll have two divisions standing in his way before he gets to DC. if he goes to Harper's, the army might have to follow him. however i dont think he's going to invade with only two divisions. with the union army sitting two regions from Richmond, i dont believe he'll be able to pull Bearegard north towards DC. that would only leave Jackson standing in the way of the full US Army making an assault into the capital. i sent Butler from the fleet to take Norfolk with one division, Burnside will make a move up the peninsula to Richmond. i think he's probably got a division in the city, which i hope to pin down. either he will have to let Richmond remain under siege, or move some troops to relieve the capital. that should free up McDowell for movements next turn. the east is touch and go at the moment. i have a feeling of impending disaster, but if it works, i might be in a good position.

West - US Grant shows up in Cairo and is ordered to take Morell's division to TN. he will meet up with the rest of the army there and plan an assault on Nashville next turn. Lyons takes over the other half of the army and McClellan is moving to Bowling Green to take command of the next army.

Manstein's Notes

TURN 12:
At East Front, the fedral has joined all his forces at Albermale depot (VA), but the rail lines to there is being cutted at manassas, taked for my cavalry, and at Culpeper, where Johnston´s force (2 divisions) is being thenched. So, I hope that the federal offensive will be stopped by my circle of troops and by the mud. The federal navy has appear at James river with troops embarked. I have 2 divisions at Richmons and I´m creating 1 new divisions, so, I will have 11 divisions at eastern theather, but I have not enough command point for they could be well commanded. Antway, I hope that with the corps formation at spring62 I could beat the federal troops and send them to north again.

At west front, the federlal already have 5 divisions, but I only have 2 divisions defending Nashville, because the other 3 divisions at Memphis have not general for form them. I have received some generals and I send them to9 Memphis for form a new force and defend the north of Tennessee. I have received to A.S.Johnston and he is the new commander of Nashville force. I will send to him the new HQ built at Richmonf, for form a new army at West and send to him a new division, for defend Nashville with 3 divisions.

At Transmississippi front, I have destroyed the Fayetteville depot and I retreat to Fort Smith. I only want can defend Little Rock, the only important objective at Transmississippi front. With the winter, Lyon could not advance to Arkansas, moreover with all the depots blown at his way.

I build 1 brigade (2 Inf+1 Cav) and 4 art.bty at North Carolina, 1 shapshooter and 1 cav unit at South Carolina and 3 militia at east front, for forn 1 new division at Richmond. I already haven´t recruit surplus, so, I should wait to end of year for build new divisions. So, I will have to end of year 11 divisions at East Front, 6 divisions at West Front and 1 division at Transmississippi Front, all full, totalling 18 full divisions. It´s well, but I haven´t enough command points for fight with enough guarantees for victory, so, I need maintain the defensive yet.

[ATTACH]8537[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]8538[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]8539[/ATTACH]

National Morale
CSA 108
USA 75

Foreign Entry Level

Combat Losses
CSA 9690
USA 10866

POW held by
CSA 0
USA 2200

Victory Points
CSA 405
USA 354

Points from Cities
CSA 50
USA 38

It's turn 12 in l sep.
Attachments
mm.jpg
bm.jpg
b.jpg

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:55 pm

Benway's Notes

National - built more rails and water transports.

Recruitment - some replacements to help our new support units build a bit quicker.

East - not much movement last turn. Johnston stayed put in Culpeper, as did the rest of the rebel army. McDowell remains in Albemarle in hopes to get some active generals to try to do some action with hopes of success. Butler has stalled one region away from Norfolk and Burnside is ordered to take the city if Butler is unable to do so. Burnside's move towards Richmond was thwarted by RE Lee and two divisions.

West - Grant and Lyons will jointly assault Nashville in hopes of taking the city outright. Foote's fleet pushed the rebel boats back down the Mississippi, leaving the river open right up to the guns on Island 10. ou in Missouri, a cavalry unit is ordered to scout down towards Arkansas to try to shadow Price.

Manstein's Notes

TURN 13:
The federal continues with his soon offensive.
I think that the forces are equalized, but I will wait to winter, that it is very close, at defensive positions. I hope that the next year I could take the offensive.

Johnston still defending the Culpeper position and I suppose that it will attacked by the Union Army, because I think that I could not mainyain that Albermale-Charlottesville positions with his rear and his supply line controlled by my forces. I suppose that he will get expulse to me from Culpeper, but crossinf a minor river at light woods, I wait that he will suffer more casualties than me, then, I could counterattack with the rest of my forces.

At west, several (I think about 5) federal divisions have advanced to Humphreys (TN), south of Fort Donelson, I suppose that taking positions for attack Nashville. The zone is covered with mud and I hope that it avoid a quick attack over Nashville, because 1 new full division, under Hindman command, is being transported by rail to reinforce to Johnston at Nashville. Other new full division under Hardee command, and leadered by Polf is being rail transported to Pulaski (TN), for avoid a possible federal attack for take the depot there.

At Transmississippi, all quiet and I suppose that I could move some troops for reinforce Memphis.

I build some inf remplacement and 70 rail points.

[ATTACH]8571[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]8572[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]8573[/ATTACH]

National Morale
CSA 108
USA 76

Foreign Entry Level

Combat Losses
CSA 12056
USA 10426

POW held by
CSA 0
USA 2700

Victory Points
CSA 455
USA 395

Points from Cities
CSA 50
USA 38

It's turn 13 in e oct.
Attachments
mm.jpg
bm.jpg
b.jpg

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:20 am

Benway's Notes

National - nothing to report

Recruitment - built some more cavalry units in both the west and the east. he seems to have local cavalry superiority in both theaters. also built some militia in Indiana to guard the depot above evansville (i forget the name of the region)

East - again the lines are fairly stagnant. we have captured the objective city of Norfolk without a shot fired. the rebs retreated into the swamps to the south. Butler (active again, i cant believe it) has orders to take the Irish Brigade in pursuit and attempt to capture the supplies being trailed by the rebs. in Manassas the union has a force of 2 divisions now to contend with any potential move north by Johnston. he must be running slightly low on supplies as he is almost cut off. he will probably have to move soon, but then again i might be wrong because he is on reb land after all. his army seems to be getting more troops as the turns go by. however, i might welcome a stalemate in the current situation for the winter.

West - Grant and Lyons have taken Nashville. AS Johnston retreated without much of a fight. however he ran smack into Porter's division. not a strong division but i bet they gave Johnston's boys a bit of surprise when they retreated right into them. i dont know where the rest of the rebel army in the west is located. so far i've only been able to account for 3 divisions along with scattered 2-regiment cavalry units. i would have expected Nashville to last longer than October of 61. care must be taken lest we fall into a trap and he pulls a Cannae upon us.

vps for cities have now been leveled and we've inflicted approx 2000 more casualties than we've sustained. depending upon the weather, it might be time to consolidate our gains for the moment in the west and await developments in the east. the potential for an active winter campaign seems distinct. next turn the units in Camp Dick Robinson are released and i foresee a possible move down over the mountains to hit Knoxville and eastern TN. combined with a move along the rail from west VA, we could potentially cut the entire northern rail line between his east and west armies. i'm getting a bit ahead of myself but i think this might be feasible.

Manstein's Notes

TURN 14:
Well, the situation is some caothic. I see that our forces are equalized, but I cannot stop the federal advances because I have very much penalties because the no-corps formation. The Union is at the same situation than me, but he has a great advantage: he can advance with great forces with great penalization because as I have great penalization too, if he is defeated, the defeat will be not very great, and he can advance because if he form great groups of forces with great penalization, he will advance because the great number of his forces (how has happened at Nashville), then, the only posiblility that I have for stop him is form great groups of forces with great penalization, but he is the offensive side and he can choose the objective to attack and my great groups cannot be at all places, and if great groups of forces with great penalization fight at some place, the casualties will be great for both sides, and it will be well for the federal side, because he has very greater number of remplacements by turn.

Benway has seen it, and he is acting as a very aggressive player (very greater than me), producing a soon offensive where the South has very problems for maintain his objectives and maintain his army at conditions of fight.

So, I must take a very risky decission: I must try to conquer Washington and beat to USA by National Morale. My force at Louisa (2 divisions) under Jackson command will attack by Spotsylvania-Stafford-Fairfax-Montgomery-Prince George´s MD. I detach to Huger force (2 divisions) from Army of the Potomac at Spotsylvania, to Stafford-Fairfax-Montgomery-Price George´s MD. I hope that Huge clear the way to Washington to Jackson, so, it could attack Washington after Huger and I think that 4 divisions could conque Washington.
I must take, moreover, defensive preventive measures: I put to Lee force into Richmond, with 4 trenches, and the Johnston force (2 divisions) at Culpeper retreat to Spotsylvania, for join to Army of Potomac and maintain a retreat way for Jackson and Huger forces if they fail to conquer Washington and must retreat.

At West, the Army of Tennesse (2 divisions) and the Hindman divisions retreat to Pulaski depot, where is the Hardee divisions and I could form an army with 4 divisions for fight by the Nashville control.

At Transmississippi, I blow the Fort Smith depot and retreat to Price to Little Rock.

I build 2 shapshooter and 3 art.bty. at West front, 1 signal unit and 20 train points.

If I have luck, it could be the last turn; if I have very bad luck, I could lose 4 full divisions.
Well, “alea iacta est”

[ATTACH]8582[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]8583[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]8584[/ATTACH]

National Morale
CSA 104
USA 80

Foreign Entry Level

Combat Losses
CSA 12904
USA 10612

POW held by
CSA 0
USA 2900

Victory Points
CSA 501
USA 439

Points from Cities
CSA 46
USA 46

It's turn 14 in l oct.
Attachments
mm.jpg
bm.jpg
b.jpg

runyan99

Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:31 pm

So, I must take a very risky decission: I must try to conquer Washington and beat to USA by National Morale.

That should certainly shorten the game, one way or the other.

Manstein
Brigadier General

Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:45 pm

I already have said that the changes regarding to the corps/divisions formation is very, very advantageous for the USA side and a good federal player will attack to Richmond and the rebel player only could stop to the attacking army leaving very much casualties over the fields.

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:28 am

[ATTACH]8604[/ATTACH]

And so, a breathtaking early knockout by Manstein. You sir, are quite the general.

Good game. Just as a third-person observer I thought Benway was doing exceptionally well. I suspect even a partial division inside DC would have stopped the assault cold, but it wasn't there, Manstein saw that, gambled and won.

Despite his defeat Benway has opted to soldier on and will be attempting to defeat Manstein on or before turn 15 as the CSA.
Attachments
b.jpg

runyan99

Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:51 am

Manstein wrote:I already have said that the changes regarding to the corps/divisions formation is very, very advantageous for the USA side and a good federal player will attack to Richmond and the rebel player only could stop to the attacking army leaving very much casualties over the fields.

Oh, I agree. The CSA does not have enough of the leaders it needs for 1861 either. I think the game is broken for 2 players.

MrT
Colonel

Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:19 am

Manstein i must congratulate you on that breathtaking strike of daring and brilliance, you truely have your namesakes skill and daring on the battlefield.
Benway for you a cuddle because i know after been struck like that i would like one also.

bigus
General

Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:50 am

Daxil wrote:[ATTACH]8604[/ATTACH]

And so, a breathtaking early knockout by Manstein. You sir, are quite the general.

Good game.

No F#%$ing doubt about it! :eek:

Manstein
Brigadier General

Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:27 pm

Thanks all for your comments, but I must say that Benway seems to me a great player and I was commited to try the Washington maneouver because the Benway´s agressive play was being very dangerous for me, with a great army positioned two zones of Richmond and Fort Donelson, Nashville and Norfolk at federal hands and only at october61!!!!!!

runyan99

Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:19 pm

Yes but clearly the game is out of balance, as you pointed out, because the USA has more leaders and better command and control, and thus better flexibility in the early game. It was always somewhat difficult, but now with the more recent changes to corps, the CSA is so weak it cannot defend Virginia. Moreover, lack of needed CSA leaders in 1861 makes organization impossible.

Return to “1st AACW PBEM Tournament (2008/2009)”