Should teleportation/redeployment be banned for rounds 3 and 4?

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 18
Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Teleportation/Redeployment Poll

Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:47 pm

Per Aryaman's suggestion, we are votingb on whether we should create a rule banning teleportation due to some gamey tactics that can be used.

This would be applied towards Round 3, 4. I'd appreciate it if only surviving participants would vote. Right now, that's 10 votes. This is a public poll in terms of how you voted, and anyone is welcome to voice their opinion/slash argument.
"We shall give them the bayonet." -Stonewall at Fredericksburg.

Jabberwock

Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:02 pm

Calling the option "teleportation" instead of redeployment could slant the results. ;)
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:10 pm

Jabberwock wrote:Calling the option "teleportation" instead of redeployment could slant the results. ;)

That's true. I'm split myself in that you should be able to specify whcih city is to raise an HQ, for example, and "redeployment" remedies that. On the other hand, see #2 here: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showpost.php?p=124763&postcount=18 for an idea of what "teleportation" can do. :)

Rafiki

Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:14 pm

Jabberwock wrote:Calling the option "teleportation" instead of redeployment could slant the results. ;)

Also, I think we might trigger a special episode of "When Squirrels Attack".... :D
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Manstein
Brigadier General

Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:15 pm

I Know that a general voyaging one half of North America at 1 only day is something as teleportation, but any train from New York/Richmond to St.Louis/New Orleans takes 1 month or 1 month and half doing the voyage. So, one general for turn for "teleportation" and 1 month or month and half doing a beautiful pleasure voyage for the rest of generals

Pocus

Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:43 pm

Must .. stomp ... Daxil. Badly and with viciousness.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:18 pm

Oh God, is that thing rabid?

lodilefty

Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:21 pm

Daxil wrote:Oh God, is that thing rabid?

It's not a rabit, it's soopersquirrel
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Aww ok, so it must have teleported here. /ducks

Major Dilemma
Corporal

Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:36 pm

Daxil wrote:Per Aryaman's suggestion, we are votingb on whether we should create a rule banning teleportation due to some gamey tactics that can be used.

This would be applied towards Round 3, 4.
I'd appreciate it if only surviving participants would vote.
Right now, that's 10 votes. This is a public poll in terms of how you voted, and anyone is welcome to voice their opinion/slash argument.

I'm very sorry I voted "NO" in this poll I had no business voting.

Aphrodite Mae

Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:13 am

Daxil wrote:Aww ok, so it must have teleported here.

:mdr:

Hey, everybody... how come Daxil's got all those little red thingies under his name? I thought they were 'sposed to be green.

Just kinda wonderin'...
Aphrodite Mae

Comtedemeighan
Brigadier General

Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:18 am

I think Teleportation should be banned :)

Gray_Lensman

Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:32 pm

deleted

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:20 pm

I believe this is an EXCELLENT idea, zeroing move solve several gamey tactics... However NON teleporting even a single general per turn is downgrading the game experience IMHO, at least in the long Campaigns.

However, some others can not be avoided.

[SIZE="1"]in small size again as told before.... such as teleporting food....[/size]

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:50 am

Six valid votes "yes" so no redeployment rule will be in effect for rounds 3 and 4.

Franciscus

Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:44 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:Gamey tactics could be eliminated if the code was reworked such that nothing else can be done with a unit after it has teleported, including zeroing out the movement time left to the teleporting unit. (A suggested coding solution would be to not implement the teleportation until the rest of the turn has been processed).

Hello Gray

I have no direct business with this poll, but I could not help notice your post. Please do not forget that the majority of players play against AI, and this redeployment rule (which can be optional) exists mainly to help AI (and, in my view, to help the player solve more expeditiously the anachronism of all Generals appearing in the capital, if they so wish). I think IMHO that there is no need to change this in the code. PBEM players can have their own house rules if they wish, as they did in this thread.

Regards

Torca
Private

Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:23 pm

I agree that "teleportation" is gamey but I'm fine with 1 redeployment per turn. With this game engine sometimes it's impossible to move leaders or HQ to desired location.
Before we ban "teleportation" some things in the engine should be changed like ability to chose where to build HQ or make all leaders available at the game start. I'm not sure how things will work with sending leader or spending money and time to build HQ just to be intercepted by partisan unit. In this game danger of being intercepted is much greater than it was in reality. Some units or even armies could sit for turn after turn doing nothing but waiting for leaders to arrive and here that means lost campaign season.

Return to “1st AACW PBEM Tournament (2008/2009)”