Daxil
AGEod Grognard

AACW Tournament Recruitment Thread

Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:00 am

[color="Red"][SIZE="4"]Tournament start Nov. 11, which is also deadline for sign-ups.[/size][/color]

[ATTACH]4721[/ATTACH]

First, we'll be using V1.11d for round 1.

Second, be sure and contact your opponents and hosts via PM ASAP. You'll need to decide amongst yourselves who will host the opposite side's games. Again, it should be someone who can play daily.

Third, when you're ready to go, use this process:

1. Create the game:
The Host chooses the pertinent scenario (Far West in our case) and chooses either side and starts the game as usual. This automatically generates a subfolder n the C:\Program Files\AGEod's American Civil War\ACW\Saves\ directory, named after the Scenario selected. In this newly created folder you will find two TRN files, each with three letters indicating which side it belongs to (USA or CSA).

2. Host sends zipped TRN file to *both* opponents:
The Hosting player now sends the TRN files to the players. The players must store this file in the folder named AACWGame\AACW\Saves\ in a sub-folder. They should name the sub-folder after the initial host created name.

3. Players send ORD file to Host:
Each player now loads the game and gives his orders for the upcoming turn. When ready, each player saves the game. This will generate an ORD file (in the folders mentioned above). Important: do not click on End Turn at this step.

They then sends the ORD file to the Hosting player.

4. Host resolves turn

The Hosting player saves the ORD file received from the players into the appropriate directory and loads the game again. He now clicks on End Turn to launch the turn resolution, where all orders are then executed. A new turn is now ready to start.

Go back to step # 2 and repeat.

Fourth, Hosts: when you start the games, make sure these settings are selected...

[ATTACH]4664[/ATTACH]

FOW on
1 redeployment
Movement and combat penalties if innactive
Small delays before battle
Historical generals
Standard attrition

Fifth, we'll be playing one game at a time to have concrete goals in the second game and to avoid confusion.

Tentative Rules/Guidelines

•16 players, each plays Union/Confederate once.
•The overall winner of both games advances to next round. A decisive victory outweighs a points victory. If both players had decisive victories the one who won earlier is the overall winner. Tiebreakers go to points. If still somehow miraculously tied we'd figure something out. (maybe play one of the 8 or 11 turn scenarios)
•A neutral third party executes each turn. (Round 1 see red brackets. Round 2 and beyond eliminated players will host)
•Players are expected to be playing approx a turn/day.
•If anyone cannot send a turn for more than two weeks total during a single game they forfeit that game as if it's a decisive defeat on the last turn they managed to play. It's the responsibility of the individual players to track this. If you are unsure check with your host.
•If a player will be unable to play for any length of time they need to inform both their opponent and turn over their host game (if they're a host) to their opponent to host while they're gone.
•Results and AARs of each game will be posted here in a sub-forum created by Rafiki.

Round one: Far West (17 turns)
Round two: West (24 turns)
Round three: East (24 turns)
Championship: Grand Campaign (AAR required)

These are open to change up to the point we start. Hopefully we can all take ownership.

THANKS!
Attachments
jbrackets.JPG
game.JPG
"We shall give them the bayonet." -Stonewall at Fredericksburg.

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:01 am

I would like to participate. Thank you. :)

kjstrand
Private

Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:33 am

Count me in.

Manstein
Brigadier General

Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:31 am

I would like play too, supposing that it is a World Championship, because I´m spanish

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:29 pm

Manstein wrote:I would like play too, supposing that it is a World Championship, because I´m spanish

Yes, thats fine. I'll need your emails too so please PM with that info.

Jabberwock

Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:53 am

RL situation stabilizing. Count me in.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

Coffee Sergeant
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:06 pm

Yeah, count me in.

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:34 pm

For those of you that have replied so far, be sure and let others you think might want to participate know about this. Thanks.

Aphrodite Mae

Married couple = 1, or 2?

Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:58 pm

I'd be interested, and of course, Dixicrat, too. Sounds like fun!

...So, do he and I play as a single opponent, or are we entered twice as individuals?

Havely

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:09 pm

Aphrodite Mae wrote:I'd be interested, and of course, Dixicrat, too. Sounds like fun!

...So, do he and I play as a single opponent, or are we entered twice as individuals?

Havely

It doesn't matter. Either way is fine, but let us know.

benway9
Private

Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:40 am

i'd give it a try

Bertram

Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:02 am

Good idea, I would like to join.

runyan99

Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:42 am

You've also got to standardize the optional settings for naval boxes, attrition, delayed commit, etc. across all games.

You should also specify a version number, and then it would probably be best not to update while the tournament is in progress, so the playing field would be level throughout.

Against what seems like my better judgement, or perhaps the better angels of my nature, I guess I'll play.

aryaman

Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:26 am

Count on me

Ethy
Sergeant

Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:46 pm

sign me up if there is room :)

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:06 pm

runyan99 wrote:You've also got to standardize the optional settings for naval boxes, attrition, delayed commit, etc. across all games.

You should also specify a version number, and then it would probably be best not to update while the tournament is in progress, so the playing field would be level throughout.

Against what seems like my better judgement, or perhaps the better angels of my nature, I guess I'll play.

Thanks for that input!

Ok, looks like we have 11 now. As I indicated in the op, 8 is the minimum so [color="Red"]I'm setting a deadline and start date for the tournament 2 weeks from now - Nov.11. [/color]Hopefully we can get five more so everyone can participate... I'm sure we will. Tell your friends!

Coffee Sergeant
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:25 pm

runyan99 wrote:You've also got to standardize the optional settings for naval boxes, attrition, delayed commit, etc. across all games.

Also, when we get to the full campaign, foreign intervention. In my current game, with me playing as Union, my opponent got extremely lucky and four straight cotton embargos worked for him, while my total blockades backfired. FI score is at 93 in mid-1862. It would seem a bit gamey for the outcome to depend on such random factor.

runyan99

Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:38 pm

Coffee Sergeant wrote: It would seem a bit gamey for the outcome to depend on such random factor.

Well it is a game after all.

pkpowers
Corporal

Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:36 pm

count me in please

pkpowers@grandecom.net

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:47 am

Coffee Sergeant wrote:Also, when we get to the full campaign, foreign intervention. In my current game, with me playing as Union, my opponent got extremely lucky and four straight cotton embargos worked for him, while my total blockades backfired. FI score is at 93 in mid-1862. It would seem a bit gamey for the outcome to depend on such random factor.

You know, I thinkl we should leave that up to the final two contestants. The only thing I would like to require is that there's an turn-by-turn AAR since we're all putting time into this. I'm guessing there will be lots of people glued to that matchup. :)

johnnycai
Major

Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:31 pm

I would like to participate also.

josh4bs
Conscript

I am a willing competitor...

Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:25 pm

Just not sure if you want me to play just yet. I just purchased the game and it seems to be what I was looking for. I am new to this. I have played some of the older WWII turn-based strategy games from back in the early to mid-90s, but have been out of the loop since then.

I am currently deployed in support of the efforts in Afghaniland as a contractor, and would love to have something take up some of the time that I have here.

I understand if you guys would rather me wait a while before jumping in, but I espouse to the notion that you only get better by playing better opponents. Granted, I might be an easy win for whoever is pitted against me, but hopefully I can prove to be competitive, hopefully.

I'll check back to see the response...Until then, I will be playing the campaigns and learning my way around better in hopes of being prepared for the onslaught.

Thx,
Josh

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:31 pm

josh4bs wrote:Just not sure if you want me to play just yet. I just purchased the game and it seems to be what I was looking for. I am new to this. I have played some of the older WWII turn-based strategy games from back in the early to mid-90s, but have been out of the loop since then.

I am currently deployed in support of the efforts in Afghaniland as a contractor, and would love to have something take up some of the time that I have here.

I understand if you guys would rather me wait a while before jumping in, but I espouse to the notion that you only get better by playing better opponents. Granted, I might be an easy win for whoever is pitted against me, but hopefully I can prove to be competitive, hopefully.

I'll check back to see the response...Until then, I will be playing the campaigns and learning my way around better in hopes of being prepared for the onslaught.

Thx,
Josh

You've been drafted. :D

Just a word of warning, there are some very good players here. Best way to learn is to dive in 100% though imo. If you do lose you wont be alone. 15/16 will eventually lose.

Aphrodite Mae

Married couple = 1

Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:36 pm

Daxil wrote:It doesn't matter. Either way is fine, but let us know.

Ok, D'c'at and I will be a team. Count us as one entry.

Havely

josh4bs
Conscript

Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:39 pm

I'm with you with the diving in strategy. I am not afraid of losing, I just didn't want people to be upset that they had to play a very green newb...As I said, I am looking to learn from the experience...

Let me know if you need any help with this...

Josh

kjstrand
Private

Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:32 pm

You never know what'll happen. If you study, study, study the map, are patient, and manuever your forces well, you can have a chance. My first ever attempt at a whole war was a PBEM and I won.

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:39 am

:hat: I'm down! :winner:
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."
-General William Barksdale at Fredericksburg

Yellowhammer
Major

Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:57 pm

I would like to enter the Tournament.

I've never played ACW PBEM, this seems like a good way to get introduced to playing against a Human.

andatiep

Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:35 pm

Salut les braves !

Before you left to mount on the front lines, i was thinking that maybe a tournament should involve only 8 persons (with 16, you can anyway run two tournaments), so that at the last game, all the loosers can participate to the last big campaign game by sharing the map and the tasks...
You can balance the two last teams thanks to the results of the previous turnament games.

That way all the tournament members are involved till the end ...and the monomaniaque tournament's spirit of erasing the weakest to be the last one let place for a more collective struggle :) .

I can't join you because i'm not able to follow the rythm of 1 turn a day (can't do more than 1 turn a week...) and i don't want to slow you.

I wish you anyway a good game.

Hope you will all come back from the fields :p ompom:
REVOLUTION UNDER SIEGE GOLD

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:44 pm

andatiep wrote:Salut les braves !

Before you left to mount on the front lines, i was thinking that maybe a tournament should involve only 8 persons (with 16, you can anyway run two tournaments), so that at the last game, all the loosers can participate to the last big campaign game by sharing the map and the tasks...
You can balance the two last teams thanks to the results of the previous turnament games.

That way all the tournament members are involved till the end ...and the monomaniaque tournament's spirit of erasing the weakest to be the last one let place for a more collective struggle :) .

I can't join you because i'm not able to follow the rythm of 1 turn a day (can't do more than 1 turn a week...) and i don't want to slow you.

I wish you anyway a good game.

Hope you will all come back from the fields :p ompom:

They're welcome to keep playing each other if they want. It just wouldn't have any bearing on the final results. I think due to the extreme length of each game a round robin type tournament wouldn't really be a prudent thing to do. Revenge perhaps can be had in the second annual tournament. ;)

Looks like we have 16 now so anyone beyond this point does not officially have a spot. I encourage anyone interested to still reply just in case anyone drops out before the tournament starts.

I think what I'm going to do from here is post some visuals, finalize the rules and have Rafiki, as a complete neutral, randomly choose the round one matches.

Thanks everyone. As Jigsaw says, let the games begin!

Return to “1st AACW PBEM Tournament (2008/2009)”