Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:04 am

I just updated some things in my OP. Maybe Jabberwock can make some less archaic brackets for us. :)

a.) I think one set of opponents should host an opposite set of opponents games. Thats what the red brackets mean. Invariably people will be absent some days and this just means if you're a host you can turn that game over to your opponent. That would only be applicable for rd1 after which some dedicated eliminated participants could take over as hosts.

That said, I think its important that we create consistency here to cut down on confusion. That means there should really only be one official host for each game and you shouldnt be a host if you know you wont be able to process the turns daily.

b.) As far as missing lots of days Im saying if you miss more than 14 days you forfeit that half of your round as if it were a decisive defeat on the last turn you managed to play. (this wouldnt be applicable for the championship) It's up to each individual player to track their opponents absences and if need be double check with the hosts (please save your host game emails for that purpose or write down when you received them). Hopefully this doesn't become an issue. Hopefully if people are going on vacation for awhile theyll accept a defeat for the sake of other participants who want to get on with the games.

If you know you will be absent for awhile, please let your opponent know and *especially* if you're a host make sure you let the people whom you are hosting know and turn that game over.
"We shall give them the bayonet." -Stonewall at Fredericksburg.

Rafiki

Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:34 am

Welcome to the new forum!

I imagine that each game can create a thread of its own here to e.g. track progress and practicalities? In any case, use this forum to your heart's delight to get this thing going.

Nice work on pulling it together; it'll be fun to see how it develops :D

(Player matchups forthcoming later today)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:25 am

[CENTER]Hear ye! Hear ye! Here are the initial matchups of this tournament!

Code: Select all

W.Barksdale                         VS.                            benway 9
Coffee Sergeant                     VS.              Aphrodite Mae/Dixicrat
Ethy                                VS.                          Jabberwock
aryaman                             VS.                             Bertram
johnnycai                           VS.                               Daxil
pkpowers                            VS.                            Manstein
kjstrand                            VS.                            runyan99
josh4bs                             VS.                        Yellowhammer

May the best player win, and every player have fun!
[/CENTER]

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Yellowhammer
Major

Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:10 pm

josh4bs - it's you and me, buddy.

First, thank you for your work in Afghanistan.
Second, I've only played the Grand Campaign (2xNorth and 1xSouth), never played the scenarios, so I'm with you on "playing the campaigns" before we start (if there's time).
Third, I posted an AAR of my first game if you want some intel on my gameplay:

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=5865

Good luck!

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:46 pm

Rafiki wrote:[CENTER]Hear ye! Hear ye! Here are the initial matchups of this tournament!

Code: Select all

W.Barksdale                         VS.                            benway 9
Coffee Sergeant                     VS.              Aphrodite Mae/Dixicrat
Ethy                                VS.                          Jabberwock
aryaman                             VS.                             Bertram
johnnycai                           VS.                               Daxil
pkpowers                            VS.                            Manstein
kjstrand                            VS.                            runyan99
josh4bs                             VS.                        Yellowhammer

May the best player win, and every player have fun!
[/CENTER]

Ok, thanks! I just updated the op again by copy/pasting straight down the board. Now people can see their route to victory.

I'd recommend that people contact their opponents immediatelly via PM to make sure theyre alive.

josh4bs
Conscript

Looking forward to it

Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:18 pm

Yellowhammer wrote:josh4bs - it's you and me, buddy.

First, thank you for your work in Afghanistan.
Second, I've only played the Grand Campaign (2xNorth and 1xSouth), never played the scenarios, so I'm with you on "playing the campaigns" before we start (if there's time).
Third, I posted an AAR of my first game if you want some intel on my gameplay:

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=5865

Good luck!

Yellowhammer,

Thank you for the thank you...I think that is what I can say.

I hope I can provide some kind of challenge for you. Still adapting to the learning curve of the game, but I have enjoyed playing it so far and looking forward to the tournament and learning more about the gameplay.

I will also have a peek at your AAR. I'll see if I can't get into the genius that is the strategery of the Yellowhammer...

Good luck,
Josh

Manstein
Brigadier General

Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:16 pm

One question: we must play 2 games (1 each side of given scenario) for see the winner at each confrontation, so, the 2 games are played at the same time or we first play one game and once it end we begin the second game??

lodilefty

Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:39 pm

Will parimutuel betting include Exacta, Pick 4 or Daily Double?

..or are we limited to Win Place and Show... :blink:

:siffle:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

aryaman

Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:00 pm

Daxil wrote:[color="Red"][SIZE="4"]Tournament start Nov. 11, which is also deadline for sign-ups.[/size][/color]

[ATTACH]4659[/ATTACH]

Tentative Rules/Guidelines

•16 players, each plays Union/Confederate once.
•The overall winner of both games advances to next round. A decisive victory outweighs a points victory. If both players had decisive victories the one who won earlier is the overall winner. Tiebreakers go to points. If still somehow miraculously tied we'd figure something out. (maybe play one of the 8 or 11 turn scenarios)
•A neutral third party executes each turn. (Round 1 see red brackets. Round 2 and beyond eliminated players will host)
•Players are expected to be playing approx a turn/day.
•If anyone cannot send a turn for more than two weeks total during a single game they forfeit that game as if it's a decisive defeat on the last turn they managed to play. It's the responsibility of the individual players to track this. If you are unsure check with your host.
•If a player will be unable to play for any length of time they need to inform both their opponent and turn over their host game (if they're a host) to their opponent to host while they're gone.
•Results and AARs of each game will be posted here in a sub-forum created by Rafiki.

Round one: Far West (17 turns)
Round two: West (24 turns)
Round three: East (24 turns)
Championship: Grand Campaign (AAR required)

These are open to change up to the point we start. Hopefully we can all take ownership.

THANKS!

I think you should post also the options selected to play, like rules of Blockade, level of attrition...

I have also a concern, are the scenarios bug free? I recall that when new patches were coming usually only the Grand Campaign was updated, leaving the other scenarios rather buggy.

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:51 pm

Per Gray_Lensman we should be using v1.11d at least for round 1. I'll go ahead and update the op again.

[ATTACH]4663[/ATTACH]

This is just everything standardized,so unless someone objects and has a good reason we'll use them.

FOW on
1 redeployment
Movement and combat penalties if innactive
Small delays before battle
Historical generals
Historical attrition
Attachments
game.JPG

Jarkko
Colonel

Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:45 pm

Sorry for popping in and intruding :) As I want to at some point enter the PBeM world, I'd like to start using settings people usually are using in PBeM games, and thus I'd like to ask if the above settings are the "standard" in PBeM games?
There are three kinds of people: Those who can can count and those who can't.

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:16 pm

Yes. Those are pretty much standard settings.

On scenarios being buggy: there may be some bugs according to Gray, but nothing gamebreaking. And if we're using the same patch for both halves of the match both players get the same bugs or opportunities for bugs, :) Seems fair to me.

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:56 pm

Hi there,

I've just seen there's AACW tournament. I would like to apply if it's not too late.

best,

Torca

just a pm. first in line if someone drops.

runyan99

Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:34 pm

I think it would be a good idea to spell out the file sharing process. For example, I'm unclear whether one of the players should start the game and send it to the host, or if the host should start a game and send turn files to both players.

I'm sure not everyone is clear on how to manage the files.

Manstein
Brigadier General

Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:22 pm

runyan99 wrote:I think it would be a good idea to spell out the file sharing process. For example, I'm unclear whether one of the players should start the game and send it to the host, or if the host should start a game and send turn files to both players.

I already said that I´m playing a game against Coregonas and Fremen is hosting our game. He created the game and sent to Coregonas and me the .trn files, but I don´t know what must to do the host for it. I can ask to Fremen and I will post his reply.

But I would like to know if we will play both game together or first will play a game with a side and after the game with the other side.

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:19 am

runyan99 wrote:I think it would be a good idea to spell out the file sharing process. For example, I'm unclear whether one of the players should start the game and send it to the host, or if the host should start a game and send turn files to both players.

I havent confirmed this, but I *believe* this is the process.(Hopefully Manstein can confirm and Illl post it in the OP)..

1. Create the game:
The Host chooses the pertinent scenario (Far West in our case) and chooses either side and starts the game as usual. This automatically generates a subfolder n the C:\Program Files\AGEod's American Civil War\ACW\Saves\ directory, named after the Scenario selected. In this newly created folder you will find two TRN files, each with three letters indicating which side it belongs to (USA or CSA).

2. Host sends zipped TRN file to *both* opponents:
The Hosting player now sends the TRN files to the players. The players must store this file in the folder named AACWGame\AACW\Saves\ in a sub-folder. They should name the sub-folder after the initial host created name.

3. Players send ORD file to Host:
Each player now loads the game and gives his orders for the upcoming turn. When ready, each player saves the game. This will generate an ORD file (in the folders mentioned above). Important: do not click on End Turn at this step.

They then sends the ORD file to the Hosting player.

4. Host resolves turn

The Hosting player saves the ORD file received from the players into the appropriate directory and loads the game again. He now clicks on End Turn to launch the turn resolution, where all orders are then executed. A new turn is now ready to start.

Go back to step # 2 and repeat.

But I would like to know if we will play both game together or first will play a game with a side and after the game with the other side.

You could do it either way, but I think we should play them separately. It gives you a concrete goal: decisive victory by trn17 for example, and also is less confusing to be playing one side at a time imo.

As a side note: someone mentioned earlier having teams. Im thinking if this tournament's a success we could do something different for a second tournament.. get 16 players and have two team captains (maybe the winners of this tournament) and have them choose their teams. They'd then select who plays who for each round. As things get lopsided teammates would have to play each other based on combined captains decision to try and get the two best remaining players. Ok, yes I watch the Ultimate Fighting Championships. Just a way to keep that teamey feel I guess. :)

Also, one teamate coud p;lay Union/ one CSA. We coud have blind results. Ok just rambling now..

Jarkko
Colonel

Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:21 am

In case somebody drops out before 11th, I am available as a replacement. I'd personally feel daunted about a full PBeM campaign at this very moment, but I am pretty sure I can give at least a minor run for the money in the Far West scenario which appears to be first on the list of encounters :)
There are three kinds of people: Those who can can count and those who can't.

Jabberwock

Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:31 am

I've mentioned my issues with "historical" attrition for the full campaign in other places. I don't have any experience with it in the theater scenarios, and we are playing both sides, so I'm willing to try it for the Far West, but I'd like to see standard attrition considered further in.

P.S. I'll do some new brackets tomorrow
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:31 pm

Jabberwock wrote:I've mentioned my issues with "historical" attrition for the full campaign in other places. I don't have any experience with it in the theater scenarios, and we are playing both sides, so I'm willing to try it for the Far West, but I'd like to see standard attrition considered further in.

P.S. I'll do some new brackets tomorrow

What is the difference between standard and historical?

runyan99

Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:52 pm

In standard, attrition is very low and it is possible to keep full strength units. In the historical option, the opposite is true.

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:29 pm

Why dont we tae a poll on it. It seems fair either way to me.

Manstein
Brigadier General

Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:00 pm

Daxil, as Fremen has said to me, you are totally correct about the process for hosting. So, it is exactly the same that a PBEM game, only that the host must place the received CSA.ord and USA.ord files at the game folder, because the host doesn´t play this game and he doesn´t generate any .ord file.

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:37 pm

op updated. I hope everyone will be rdy to go by the 11th. It's eerily silent. Are people contacting those you need to? Are there any problems?

kjstrand
Private

Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:22 pm

I've talked to 2/3 of the necessary people. Dixicrat/Aphrodite -- did you get my message?

Jabberwock

Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:34 am

Sent a PM to Ethy last week.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

johnnycai
Major

Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:06 pm

Daxil wrote:Per Gray_Lensman we should be using v1.11d at least for round 1. I'll go ahead and update the op again.

[ATTACH]4663[/ATTACH]

This is just everything standardized,so unless someone objects and has a good reason we'll use them.

FOW on
1 redeployment
Movement and combat penalties if innactive
Small delays before battle
Historical generals
Historical attrition

Daxil,
You have listed "Historical attrition" but the game option displayed in the screenshot is for standard attrition. Confirm please we have decided on historical attrition for round1.

Johnnycai

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:46 pm

johnnycai wrote:Daxil,
You have listed "Historical attrition" but the game option displayed in the screenshot is for standard attrition. Confirm please we have decided on historical attrition for round1.

Johnnycai

Id like to do a poll, but Im not sure how with this forum, and I dont think we have enough days to get an accurate assessment. Therefore we'll juist go with the screenshot and Jabberwock's well-versed opinion: standard. If it's broken it's broken, and we dont have time to debate it.

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:00 pm

Hello and good morning!

I am looking for a third party to run the orders for benway9 and I. I'd be happy to run a game for any other matchups as well. Looking forward to starting! :hat:
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."
-General William Barksdale at Fredericksburg

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:30 pm

W.Barksdale wrote:Hello and good morning!

I am looking for a third party to run the orders for benway9 and I. I'd be happy to run a game for any other matchups as well. Looking forward to starting! :hat:

hay Barksdale,

Josh4bs or Yellowhammer should be the host for your game and you or benway9 should be their host. You'll need to contact them via PM. Let me know if there are any problems.

Rafiki

Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:00 pm

Hi guys!

I'm just wondering how things are coming along? Will you be needing a whole forum to organize this, or is this (and perhaps a couple other threads?) sufficient?

I'm asking, since there haven't been a whole lot of new threads posted, but that might just be because things haven't gotten properly underway yet?

Also, if there are things that I can do to help you along, I trust you'll let me know :) (and I'll be a bit more efficient in my replies to Daxil than I have been on occasion so far ;) )

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Return to “1st AACW PBEM Tournament (2008/2009)”