marcusjm
Colonel

Computer versions of boardgames

Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:53 pm

It would be good to see more boardgames converted into XBLA.

We already talked about Junta and Machiavelli. What other board games would work well on XBLA or straight PC conversions?

Montjoie seems to have worked out well while EiA seems to have failed quite miserably. I think it's vital to adapt rather than just convert straight.

Are there any other known brands being converted? I suspect Vainglory is the closest we get to Pax Britannica atm.

arsan

Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:03 pm

You already know about the AGEOD WW1 game dont you? :)
http://www.ageod-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=217

marcusjm
Colonel

Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:10 pm

To be honest I didn't even know there was a boardgame. Last WW1 game I knew about was made by Avalon Hill, I have been around for awhile ;) .

arsan

Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:52 pm

marcusjm wrote:To be honest I didn't even know there was a boardgame. Last WW1 game I knew about was made by Avalon Hill, I have been around for awhile ;) .

Yes, there is
This is the boardgame which serves as the base for the incoming WWI game
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/5410
AGEOD boss, Philip Thibaut co-designed the boardgame too :thumbsup:
He has been around for awhile too... ;) :D
Regards

marcusjm
Colonel

Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:32 pm

I haven't really played boardgames since the 80:s so I missed most of the newer boardgames.

SPI, VG and AH are my favourite boardgame companies. AGEOD seems like the Silicon version of those great wargame producers.

Pocus

Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:29 pm

Last WW1 game I played was Gun of August, the boardgame. It was a good game, but without enough spice... Philippe Thibaut's La Grande Guerre is a very different beast, with much options to play with.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Chris Stavros
Corporal

Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:19 am

Pocus wrote:Last WW1 game I played was Gun of August, the boardgame. It was a good game, but without enough spice... Philippe Thibaut's La Grande Guerre is a very different beast, with much options to play with.

Too many counters and too little movement in Guns of August I thought.

I would love to see 'Conquistador' as a PC game, that game would be fantasic in the computer venue.

Chris Stavros
Corporal

Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:25 am

There was an obscure game that would be great on PC, and easy to make.

It was called 'source of the nile' where you had a blank map of sub-sahara africa and you played as an expolorer and 'maped' the interior, meeting tribes and finding landmarks along the way.

This game would also be fantasic with a little PC 'bling' added.

Captain
Captain

WWI boardgames par Excellence !!

Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:07 pm

GRD (or whatever they call themselves now) have by far the difinitive WW1 game based on the successful Europa series model.
At divisional (and in some cases battalion !) this is a HUGE monster game.
It has absolutely everything.
It was followed by "The Yanks Are Coming" (at least I think that's the title).
As yet they haven't done the east or med.
However they do have modules for Pancho Villa and Pershing etc. So if you want detail these lads are the people to get it from.

I sold my copy of guns of August. The map was terrible and the game limited, but hey in its day there wasn't much else around.

BUT MTV can't beat it !

I am keen to look at AEGODS WW1 game once they sort out the bugs etc. If it can do what MTV does on computer than I will be more than sold.

Big Ideas
Captain

Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:06 pm

I thought that Third Reich was the most boring board game until I bought Guns of August.

Major Tom
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:10 pm

I know it's more of a beer and pretzels game than a true wargame, but I really like the computer version of Axis & Allies.
Sic Semper Tyrannis

count taaffe
Sergeant

Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:37 pm

Not to forget another great boardgame: "Kingmaker" by Avalon Hill. I know that it has been already released as DOS game. However I would highly appreciate to see another "War of the Roses-game" on the market :coeurs:

phantomfeather
Corporal

Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:35 pm

count taaffe wrote:Not to forget another great boardgame: "Kingmaker" by Avalon Hill. I know that it has been already released as DOS game. However I would highly appreciate to see another "War of the Roses-game" on the market :coeurs:

So glad to see someone Mention Kingmaker. I would really, REALLY, like to see this game come to market for PC. Since I only have a laptop the DOS is not possible.
Does AH still have the rights?

TheDoctorKing

Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:01 pm

Let's not forget the long-awaited World in Flames computer game supposedly being produced by Matrix. I'm a serious WiF player on VASSAL and I shudder to think what they are going to do to the game to make it work on the computer with an AI, etc.

I agree that adaptation is key, not just porting. That's what VASSAL, ADC, etc. is for.
Stewart King

"There is no substitute for victory"

Depends on how you define victory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:33 pm

IMHO 3R was the best board war game I have ever played. Axis and Allies is no better than a third rate Parchesi type game..t

Spindoc
Conscript

Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:02 pm

In the 1970's there was an independently published board game called "Search for the Nile," later expanded with an add-on called "Tributary." I'm surprised that nobody ever developed a computer version of this game, to the best of my knowledge.

hkbhsi
Private

Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:50 pm

As I still play it regularly, I would be very happy if someone decided one day to make a PC game out of the old "Vietnam" from Victory Games. Best war game ever IMHO. :)

Caradoc
Corporal

Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:56 pm

I enjoyed playing a board game called "Britannia". I have always wondered if that would make a good pc game.
Also I have played "Kingmaker" as well.

Return to “Boardgame Central”