Linstock
Corporal

Newbie fires a flare

Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:29 am

Hello,

As a newcomer to this intensely complicated game, I thought I'd introduce myself by way of posting stupid questions. Here's the first:

Am I correct in assuming that there's a difference between a front's "main army" and GHQ? If so, how do I locate my GHQ on the map? I'm a bit confused by this.

fred zeppelin
Colonel

Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:31 am

Linstock wrote:Am I correct in assuming that there's a difference between a front's "main army" and GHQ? If so, how do I locate my GHQ on the map? I'm a bit confused by this.

You are correct - Main Army and GHQ are different things.

1. GHQ: Each nation has only one GHQ (except Germany, which has two - East and West). GHQ serves several functions, mostly importantly providing reserve units for other HQs within its command radius.

2. Main Army: The Main Army concept is really only relevant if you play in Army-by-Army mode, where the Main Army is always the first army that must be activated. The Main Army doesn't matter (as far as I know) in WEGO mode.

Finding the GHQ: I believe the GHQ shows up on the list of armies on the right side of the screen. The simplest way - and the one I use - is simply to set the units from sprites to counters and the GHQ counter is easily identifiable by a "checkerboard" unit card.

Linstock
Corporal

Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:46 am

fred zeppelin wrote:You are correct - Main Army and GHQ are different things.

1. GHQ: Each nation has only one GHQ (except Germany, which has two - East and West). GHQ serves several functions, mostly importantly providing reserve units for other HQs within its command radius.

2. Main Army: The Main Army concept is really only relevant if you play in Army-by-Army mode, where the Main Army is always the first army that must be activated. The Main Army doesn't matter (as far as I know) in WEGO mode.

Finding the GHQ: I believe the GHQ shows up on the list of armies on the right side of the screen. The simplest way - and the one I use - is simply to set the units from sprites to counters and the GHQ counter is easily identifiable by a "checkerboard" unit card.

Thanks, Fred Zeppelin. So here's the thing: This game is so f**king complicated, I have to ask--is it worth it? I have heard amazing things about it, and the manual is impressive, though it threatens to blow my mind into little bits. This is the steepest learning curve I've come across in a long time...

fred zeppelin
Colonel

Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:26 am

Linstock wrote:Thanks, Fred Zeppelin. So here's the thing: This game is so f**king complicated, I have to ask--is it worth it? I have heard amazing things about it, and the manual is impressive, though it threatens to blow my mind into little bits. This is the steepest learning curve I've come across in a long time...

It's my favorite WWI game (though I'm also looking forward to EAW). Because it is based on a board game, it has a completely unique set of rules (hence the learning curve) but with the result that it doesn't really resemble any other game (WWI or otherwise) out there. So many of the other WWI games are based on more general game engines and (for me anyway) feel too much like just the WWI flavor of a game I've already played before. WWI Gold, on the other hand, feels completely fresh.

It's well worth the effort, I think.

Shri

Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:31 am

It is a good game but fell out due to lack of later day patches and marketing, EAW is a good alternative and PhilThib is part of this game and EAW, so many concepts overlap.

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”