sandman2575
Corporal

Will you still play WWIGold after EAW comes out?

Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:34 pm

Just wondering how much of a following Calvinus's game still has.

I'll certainly buy "To End All Wars" when it comes out, both to support AGEOD and because I'm genuinely curious to see what the game is like, and I have no doubt it will be fun. Still, I wonder if it will dethrone WWI Gold as my "go to" Great War strategy game. My gut instinct tells me, "No."

WWI Gold truly merits that much-overused and carelessly used description: unique. It really is one of a kind. A lot of that is due, of course, to the fact that it's a port of a boardgame, and preserves (for better and worse, but mostly for better) many boardgame mechanics.

As some weird hybrid of computerized boardgame and AGEOD game, "La Grande Guerre" should probably be a complete disaster. And I'm aware that, when it was first launched, it was. But in its current state, this is by far one of the best strategy games I've ever played, in any genre or historical period. For me, it is absolutely one of the "10 Games You'd Take With You To A Desert Island".

It oozes character and atmosphere. I absolutely love its unique visual presentation, and the way it does not hide the fact that "I'm essentially a boardgame." For some strange reason, that doesn't kill the realism for me. It strangely adds to the immersion. The user interface is, without question, the most quirky, idiosyncratic, cranky UI I've ever seen. It is frustrating and unintuitive. And yet, once you get the hang of it, it's kind of endearing. I actually kind of like it.

Anyway, all this is just to say: it's hard for me to imagine To End All Wars topping this. I'm sure EAW will be very good, to judge by the excellence of Civil War II. But it's very striking that EAW is pretty much using WWIGold's map and appears like it will lean heavily on other aspects as well, like the Events. I question whether EAW will really be able to compete with the unique feel of WWIGold, or, as another poster put it in another forum, it will essentially be "Civil War II with pointy helmets." I guess we'll see.

Anyway, I hope some other WWIGold die-hards out there will chime in with thoughts.

WallysWorld
Captain

Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:53 pm

I still play Calvinus' game and I still enjoy it. With the 'new' WW1 CE on Steam, I might switch over to that one once the developers resolve the issues. But Calvinus' game will always have a place on my hard drive.

fred zeppelin
Colonel

Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:43 am

They are two very different games. I'll play both. (I just hope EAW is more than just CW2 with pointy hats.)

jap412
Conscript

Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:45 am

I will play both as well. WW1GOLD is a great game that keeps me coming back.

fred zeppelin
Colonel

Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:21 am

jap412 wrote:I will play both as well. WW1GOLD is a great game that keeps me coming back.

Agreed. EAW, I'm sure, will be excellent. But it will be just another variation on the same theme as the previous AGEOD games (not that that's a bad thing!). WWI Gold/CE is a completely unique game - a classic now that the performance problems seem to be resolved.

Thronfolger
Corporal

Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:01 pm

I will definitely play both :-)
Windows 7 Home Premium / 64-Bit
Intel Core i3
4 GB RAM
NVIDIA Geforce 310 512MB

Thronfolger
Corporal

Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:13 pm

I must correct myself - i also will play "To End All Wars" ;-)
Windows 7 Home Premium / 64-Bit

Intel Core i3

4 GB RAM

NVIDIA Geforce 310 512MB

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:37 pm

The only thing that stops me from playing World War 1 gold are the constant crashes that I get with my Windows 7 system. I have tried all the workarounds on this forum and none of them work for more than a turn or two.

I am hoping the Centennial version will work better, once they get the bugs resolved.

I will most certainly buy and play "To End all Wars", as well.

Shri

Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:51 am

TEAW has ironed out most of the problems with WW1 Gold,
First of all - no crashes. (well, rarely occurs)
Secondly- OOB are traditional AGE type using the AGE engine not in board-game type which has Corps as the basic unit (Pros and Cons)
Thirdly- You play one alliance as a whole. But at the same time, WE and Russia are not co-ordinated properly (FOW present) so gives that much more chance to CP.

Random
AGEod Veteran

Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:44 pm

I intend to continue playing WW1G exclusively.

-C

WallysWorld
Captain

Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:42 pm

I too will continue to play it. It's a great game once you learn how to play it.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:24 am

WW1G has a No-Treaty-of-Brest-Litovsk feature (Russia still at war even when colapsing: not winning, yet not lost), I don't think that tEoW has this option..

Revan wrote:, with central power, I have Russia inconditionnaly surrender

the manual says that the terme of russian surrenders is
"Russia yields the whole Russian Poland and Finland to Germany; Lublin,
Dubno and Lutsk go to Austria-Hungary. The Ottoman Empire, if at war,
receives Georgia. Rumania, if at war on the side of Central Powers,
receives Bessarabia.
Germany gets 1 points for her “agricultural shortage”, a 2 points flow of
MUNs, 10 EPs as war indemnities, and 2 VPs bonus." (p 137).

, don't forget to propose separate peace, or watch russian revolution and hope to gain a Lenin event.
before all, i wished to have a proper Brest-Litovsk treaty on the map.

"hope to gain a Lenin event": The Treaty is not mendatory with Russian revolution, in this game?
And see the end Edit..:
Averkinen wrote:
jcrohio wrote: - how can you tell the Russian is completely defeated?
, you control of the entire Caucasus, as well as the whole of Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Belarussia and most of the Ukraine, this is comparable to the Brest-Litovsk peace, such territorial losses are not compatible with the successful conduct of the war, at least during WW1 + I do not see any Russian troops on the map, so assuming what Russia is destroyed already.
EDIT: I looked at your savegame and was amazed that Russia still at war.

wodin
Sergeant

Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:01 pm

Random wrote:I intend to continue playing WW1G exclusively.

-C

I to am still playing it.I do enjoy EAW but it isn't really a WW1 game at the moment. This is.

Taillebois
General of the Army

Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:45 pm

Just played the 1914 scenario to compare it to EAW 1914 scenario.

In fact I'm now drowning in WW1 scenarios as I just looked to see how many there were in TOAW.

ngomaichi
Conscript

Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:31 am

I will definitely play both :bonk:

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”