HidekiTojo
Colonel

General strategy tips for entente

Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:18 pm

I'm really having a hard time with France and Russia their nw up I until last turn was 8. I have no idea how to stem the onslaught and reclaim some territory specifically western front which is of cours my biggest concern and where I really need help

Random
AGEod Veteran

Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:21 pm

Once the war of movement ends without total victory WW1G devolves into a long-haul fight over National Will (NW). Preserving yours while reducing the enemy's should guide all of your actions. NW is tied up into the entire game in politics, diplomacy, the economy and of course military success or failure. Managing this vital resource where there are far more situations that will cause it to decrease than there are that will add to your total should be a prime consideration when planning.

WW1G can reward a Player who plans realistically (*) and executes the plan reasonably. If you are not going to get an early victory, start planning for the long game with a view of keeping out of the NW Instability Zone (<20 as I recall) if at all possible. This can be difficult as the German Army is very powerful and French casualties bleed RP's early in the fight but you do have some ability to trade space for time and your rail net gives the advantages of interior lines provided Paris does not fall.

Without some idea of your specific situation it's pretty much impossible to offer up suggestions for an effective strategy but the comments on NW apply to all situations.

-C

Edit:
(*) Realistically in this context means assessing what your game situation is and then developing a plan within your means that can accomplish your goals rather than anything historical. Just wanted to clarify the point.

Doctor Haider
Private

Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:03 pm

As for the Russia, don't even bother defeating Germans early in the game even if the real Shliffien plan is adopted. Act defensively against them in Poland, there are a lot of good fortresses around to hold with 2-3 armies.

Instead, try to inflict as much as possible losses to Austro-Hungary before the end of 1914, especially if they adopted the real Conrad plan (AH armies deployment may lead to encircliment of 4th or 3rd AH armies in Galicia with some luck). It's too hard for Autro-Hungary to recover NW, its army is weaker than German, Chech and Slovac corps have penalty when fighting Russians.

Shri

Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:18 pm

As the entente, goal is to stop the FRENCH and RUSSIANS from collapsing in 1914 if the GERMANS hit you with SCHLIEFFEN or MOLTKE war plans.
Russian strategy should be to use the GRAND DUKE plan and blast open AH in 1914 and then inch slowly towards Hungary and Serbia.
Try to swing Rumania in an alliance and try and keep Bulgaria out as much as possible to try and save Servia.
Ottomans may come at you via KARS, but YUDENICH is one of your best generals and some reservist additions to his armies and static defense will save you esp. as bad weather and horrible Turk generals aid you.

As Britain, bring the USA in. Try and gobble up the German Outposts soon. and try to save Belgium. France can hold the line post 1914 with some luck.
Try to take Constantinople, open Greece and Rumania, Aid Russia. Prevent Bolshevik Revolution. France and later Italy should not go for Grand Attacks but do methodical pushes, English army is small but the best Entente army and use it as breakthrough army.
Use the RN to wipe out the Germans and Blockade all including neutrals as soon as possible and then swing Dutch and Scandinavia away from Germans (Tough).
It is a long haul as Entente, earliest victory is 1916 end/1917. most times in 1918 only.
Kaiserine Germany is a real Super Power and must be dealt with a lot of respect, attack the weak allies of Germany.

wodin
Sergeant

Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:59 pm

This is the reason why I love he game and no other WW1 game has comes close. It actually plays along the right lines as the War developed without railroading the player into static warfare through the use of heavy modifiers restricting you so in other games in effect you have exactly the same mechanics as pretrench warfare but they throw in restrictions\penalties to make it hard to move forward. Where as WW1Gold the game actually changes when you get to trench warfare and is still great and interesting to play with lots of planning for the next great offensive. How End all Wars is going to do his I think may be a problem. Just making fortifications uber strong really doesn't make it feel like WW1 just a sudden restrictive fortification to stifle any stack and any fun, it needs to let the player plan a Great Offensive once or at a push and if enough arty ammo stockpiled twice a year on the Western Front.
Random wrote:Once the war of movement ends without total victory WW1G devolves into a long-haul fight over National Will (NW). Preserving yours while reducing the enemy's should guide all of your actions. NW is tied up into the entire game in politics, diplomacy, the economy and of course military success or failure. Managing this vital resource where there are far more situations that will cause it to decrease than there are that will add to your total should be a prime consideration when planning.

WW1G can reward a Player who plans realistically (*) and executes the plan reasonably. If you are not going to get an early victory, start planning for the long game with a view of keeping out of the NW Instability Zone (<20 as I recall) if at all possible. This can be difficult as the German Army is very powerful and French casualties bleed RP's early in the fight but you do have some ability to trade space for time and your rail net gives the advantages of interior lines provided Paris does not fall.

Without some idea of your specific situation it's pretty much impossible to offer up suggestions for an effective strategy but the comments on NW apply to all situations.

-C

Edit:
(*) Realistically in this context means assessing what your game situation is and then developing a plan within your means that can accomplish your goals rather than anything historical. Just wanted to clarify the point.

Egg Bub
Major

Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:21 am

nazar83 wrote:I think, that you are mistaken. Let's discuss. Write to me in PM, we will communicate.

I would like to communicate with you. Never communicated with a bot before. :)

Random
AGEod Veteran

Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:19 pm

I reported that post as spam shortly after it appeared but nothing was done about it. Usually the Moderators are pretty quick to react to reported bots but presumably they ignore the WW1G forum these days.

-C

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”